Apartment vs van/rv

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
We took a little break this winter from our RV travels and settled down in NE Washington state.   Knowing that it is going to get down to zero and below, I was not really comfortable staying in the RV here even though we purchased some mountain property and stayed there spring/summer/fall.   We want to experience winter, real winter with snow and such (as I type we have 12 inches of snow outside so CHECK that box!).  It is very very pleasant to walk in the snow with the town decorated in lights and all of the little shops and such.

We rented an apartment in this small town.   $500 a month including water/sewer/gas.   Electricity is running us about $75 a month but I could cut it down to $50 if we were living like we did in our RV (limiting hot water use and turning off lights/heat).

$500 a month.

That is really pretty cheap for two people!   Now granted the apartment is 1bd 1 bathroom, plus living room and kitchen.  About 700 square feet, which is actually around 4 times larger than our RV space.

I still want to live the RV life but dang....$500 a month?

Since we are in town and in walking distance to everything (grocery, hardware, hospital, dentist, library, parks) one could actually get rid of their car and car insurance.   A couple could live here on $12,000 a year quite comfortably if they clipped coupons and cooked their own meals.

IGBT said:
Since we are in town and in walking distance to everything (grocery, hardware, hospital, dentist, library, parks) one could actually get rid of their car and car insurance.   A couple could live here on $12,000 a year quite comfortably if they clipped coupons and cooked their own meals.

What town is it?

yep rents in rural western towns is dirt cheap in most places. IGBT good to hear from you, I have been wondering how you two were doing. highdesertranger

GypsySpirit said:
That's pretty reasonable. Where is it?
That's half of what a bedroom would cost in a share house most places with a healthy job market.

Kitchen privileges if you're lucky, likely with some work obligation too.

My HUD subsidized 400 sq ft studio age 55+ air conditioned (PTAC) apartment with electric included averages $153 per month after Commonwealth of PA 20% rent rebate and LIEHEAP grant. Also included is basic TV cable, hi speed internet, water, sewer, trash removal, snowplowing with one off street parking spot.

Would be nice if available to all low-income people, temporary for a few months on short notice as you travel around the country looking for work.

But you can't compare gov subsidized with free market rents.

Latest posts