Apartment fridge install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know...stuff happens. 

(slight thread detour!)

I lost one of my painter's poles that I use for my awning....

This was right after the government 'shutdown' a couple of weeks ago, and I was not using my awning. I had to go back to the host building at the LTVA to pay my fee and had forgotten that I stuck the pole in a slot in my roof rack, to hold a lantern.

A mile down a dirt road I heard a 'thump' on the body of the van, but assumed it was something inside that had fallen, and would check it when I stopped at the gate. 

I saw nothing wrong inside or out, so I paid my fee, drove back to the campsite and then shortly afterwards, realized what it was.

Dang.

So yeah, stuff happens.

Sorry for your loss, please note even hard core solar junkies forget loose panels and have them frisbee about - but ones fastened may have had help!

Remember the loosenings may have been someone preparing to liberate the panels, either in stages or it was heist interruptus... Were you (and others) away from the vehicle for any significant period of time, or away late or overnight inside cabin/cottage/motel in the days before the accident?

Although possible elsewhere, not likely where we were in Coyote Howls.
I recall getting distracted during the process and when I went back to the job, I must've missed a bolt.
It's a costly mistake but sometimes they happen. I ended up getting the two 100 panels for free from Amazon after they had a tremendously hard time getting them from Phoenix to Why (90 miles). So I guess the universe was making sure we didn't have any extra laying around. It all evens out in the wash.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I did this exact same thing with the exact same fridge . it was my first attempt at getting a fridge in my van. I had 300w of solar, 255 ah batteries, also a battery isolator hooked up. It would do ok but after a month or 2 it would start to kill my batteries. Luckily they were under warranty. It was a failed project for me. I tried it twice. The first time I only had 150w of solar and 170 ah batteries

Oneleggedcowboy said:
Great info!!!    I too am gonna attempt the 110 volt fridge deal!!

In my thread "Efficient Refrigerator DIY" I explain what it took to make mine work.  It is possible but you need to be motivated.  Added insulation for improved thermal efficiency is, in my experience, necessary.

If you can find a cheap way to get a 240 fridge from Europe or down under, their regulators mandate **much** higher efficiencies.

To the point that just plugged into an inverter more efficient than a 12V Engel, no DIY stuff required at all.

Might be worth checking the Canadian market?

Latest posts