Apartment fridge install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be nice to now inform the battery monitor you are 100% full, and have it count AH used for you from here on out?

I know, most feel that info isn't worth what it costs, but it sure is to me!

But yes, using the hydrometer isn't such a chore I s'pose.

John61CT said:
Wouldn't it be nice to now inform the battery monitor you are 100% full, and have it count AH used for you from here on out?

I know, most feel that info isn't worth what it costs, but it sure is to me!

But yes, using the hydrometer isn't such a chore I s'pose.
I cycled the controller power which i would think should reset the ah counter. It reads 226ah on a capacity of 225ah.

I read yesterday on the midnite solar forum that the meter resets every time the system goes to float, temp corrected.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Second solar panel back on the roof for 520 watts.

Earlier today i measured available space and it turns out i have room for two small panels (2x100w renogy or similar). Possibly a future 2nd system with the smaller being 12v for lights, usb and ciggy plug ports, and the fantastic fan. The second system could be 12 or 24v and be for the inverter. It's nice to have the room for expansion.
35e8cdf16ba6fd0440469efc6a5e14c1.jpg

Sabatical said:
I cycled the controller power which i would think should reset the ah counter. It reads 226ah on a capacity of 225ah.

I read yesterday on the midnite solar forum that the meter resets every time the system goes to float, temp corrected.

Sorry missed that you did have the WhizBang Jr, or got wires crossed

That jives with the generally held opinion that dorm fridges need more power and bigger battery bank than12-volt compressor fridges. Plus, if it's not keeping up now in the summer it will be a disaster in the winter.

Hopefully, the extra panel will make all the difference.

akrvbob said:
That jives with the generally held opinion that dorm fridges need more power and bigger battery bank than12-volt compressor fridges. Plus, if it's not keeping up now in the summer it will be a disaster in the winter.

Hopefully, the extra panel will make all the difference.
I sure hope it will too.

It seems that i was mistaken about the length of sun exposure i had also. I moved the camper early this afternoon after i noticed my eq cycle was being disrupted by an oak tree. It was 1pm. I was really limiting myself by not paying better attention to what was going on during the charge cycle.

I turned the inverter on again this morning for round 2. It's running in float currently.

The fridge has been back on for 72 hours and the kill-a-watt is reading 1.4kwh for that time period. That's right about 467 watts per day or approx 40 amp hours of battery capacity.
56cbedaff5699965ccd5638f051eddd3.jpg
fe4fffc52e6f86ab897a3a2d4c1c3b13.jpg

Note that doesn't include the inverter and conversion overhead.

Most 12V compressor fridges designed for portable use are I believe around 60-70AH per 24hrs.

May end up around the same?

Of course the temp differential is a huge factor.

John you are about 3 times to high on your estimates. my 12v compressor refer would consume 72AH/24hrs if it ran at 100% duty cycle. but in reality it only runs at about 20%-30% duty cycle depending on ambient temps.. highdesertranger

I'd seen some post 25AH per 24 hours, but assumed that was for mild ambient and relatively high fridge temp, and maybe with added insulation and active venting of the condenser/electronics.

I believe actual draw while running is ~6AH per hour?

Current fridge temp is 34 degrees F.

Current ambient temp is 76F with 68% humidity.

Inverter use cost me 19ah daily.

Yeah i know it uses more than a 12v fridge. The purpose of the thread is only to show the results using a different option.

Yes, the up-front savings are well worth inefficiency for many, and it will be very helpful to quantify the AH delta.

Plus moving forward, 12V thermostat keeping the inverter off will improve the efficiency.

Sabatical said:
Yeah i know it uses more than a 12v fridge. The purpose of the thread is only to show the results using a different option.
While it may not be as efficient as a 12v model, you have proven that it can be done. Now if your solar can keep up, all is well.

Ballenxj said:
While it may not be as efficient as a 12v model, you have proven that it can be done. Now if your solar can keep up, all is well.
Specific gravity will tell the true story. I'll keep you posted.

Charge control now in float mode and a specific gravity check of all 6 cells show 1.275-1.277 temp corrected.

It's only been 3 days with the increase in solar, but i'm liking the fact that we are getting to 100% full charge.

MY guess is buying an extra 200-watts of panels would still be cheaper than buying a 12 volt compressor fridge. And a front-loading dorm fridge would be a much better experience than the top loading compressor fridges

bardo said:
The trucker fridge is 60w with average consumption of 24w.

http://www.truckfridge.com/tf65/

on par with similar sized dorm fridges
Thanks for posting the link..

I would disagree...  That trucker fridge seems Far Superior to most all the dorm fridges I have seen, which is a lot !
It seems very substantial.

But that makes sense...  a few college kids on one hand or an irate trucker dead heading to get a repair would be a simple choice.
wheels

I'll keep checking on battery status and finish up the install.

Time and miles will tell the story on durability, and that'll have to wait for snowbird season.

I feel fortunate to have the solar watts available, especially since this is an mppt system. That is something to keep in mind here. If you have a watts limited system and are running higher volt panels, this project may not be a good one for you. It would be difficult for me to add more watts without making a seperate system, which i may well do in the future, but that'd be a subject for a different thread.

highdesertranger said:
John you are about 3 times to high on your estimates.  my 12v compressor refer would consume 72AH/24hrs if it ran at 100% duty cycle.  but in reality it only runs at about 20%-30% duty cycle depending on ambient temps..  highdesertranger

My Whynter 65qt unit in my van uses 6amps for about five minutes in lower Nevada to maintain 38F.  I don't know how often it does this, but it is off far longer than it is on.

I haven't used the KillaWatt on the apt fridge in the RV. I'll check that out.