Apartment fridge install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At about 8pm tonight the whiz bang jr on the kid cc read 54ah of production today.

I plugged in the kill a watt and waited for the fridge to start. I saw 2.26 amps at startup. Not sure accurate that is because i don't have any experience with a kaw. When running it's at about 80 watts on #4 coolness setting (0-7 range).

I'll report back tomorrow with 24hr kaw readings. Still need to find a fridge thermometer.
37acb8173ddfbd7dc4cce81892a80a9b.jpg
9cae6651d289a325092e020de6c851c3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

The clamp style multimeter i own reads ac amps. If anyone can share with me how to read dc amp draw between the battery and the inverter with probes i'll try that.

You would need an in-line amp meter or multi-meter that can read amperage above what you expect to be seeing. These are not common above about 10 amps or so...which might be enough for this test.

Can you post a picture of the face of your amp-clamp or a link to the model somewhere online?

Or, does the inverter have a digital amp reading option?

BTW you have me interested in doing some experimentation of my own...I have all the pieces to make it work, I just need to get them all in place, hook them up, and start doing some testing...

See what you started? You troublemaker....

:p

tx2sturgis said:
You would need an in-line amp meter or multi-meter that can read amperage above what you expect to be seeing. These are not common above about 10 amps or so...which might be enough for this test.

Can you post a picture of the face of your amp-clamp or a link to the model somewhere online?

Or, does the inverter have a digital amp reading option?
1f7959fa77fccc2dd37cd35c3866fe17.jpg

Yep....no DC current there...

Ok...well what other neat toys do you have? How about a standard digital multimeter with a 10A DC setting?

What is the capacity of the inverter again?

tx2sturgis said:
Yep....no DC current there...

Ok...well what other neat toys do you have? How about a standard digital multimeter with a 10A DC setting?

What is the capacity of the inverter again?
Just picked up the freebie multi meter when i bought the kill a watt at harbor freight today. I'm gonna give it to one of my boys, but he won't mind if i try it out first. It has a 10a dc setting.
So just read across the terminals at the input side of the inverter or what?

The inverter is a bestek 1000w msw with a supposed .8 amp no load draw.
6aa841f40b217554519fd6366acc8035.jpg

To read the input amps to the inverter, you have to disconnect one side coming in, preferably the positive side.

Set the meter to 10A, plug the negative (black) probe into the common or - socket.

Plug positive (red) probe into the 10A socket.

Turn meter on. It should settle on 0.00 or similar.

Turn inverter on, with NO load...nothing plugged in.

Touch the negative probe to POSITIVE side of the inverter.

Hold that, and touch the POSITIVE probe to the POSITIVE cable you removed.

The inverter will power up and you should get a reading around 00.8 A, or maybe it will look like this:  800 ma depending on the meter auto-ranging.

Tell us what you get with this simple test of standby current.

Again..this is a NO load test.

meter.png

Attachments

• meter.png
    meter.png
    223.7 KB
Many meters have a fuse inside protecting the amps DC jack.
If you get nothing check for that.

rvpopeye said:
Many  meters have a fuse inside protecting the amps DC jack.
If you get nothing check for that.

I assume the inrush current in standby won't blow a 10 amp fuse but that is a good point.

But...many of these little 'freebie' meters just have a mini fuse on the V and MA side and the 10A circuit only has a copper shunt.

Either way, it should tolerate the inrush as the caps charge up.

Assuming this works, then we move on to testing with a small load.

BTW Sab, if its easier, and if the inverter fuse is inline on the positive cable, you can simply pull the fuse, and then insert the meter probes, making contact with the fuse terminals.

so am I to assume when the charge controller is saying 54a that means that's what actually was put into the battery after the fridge took it's share.....or is that the total amount of charge for the day? Your panel should be putting out around 110a per day give or take.

Sabatical said:
Just picked up the freebie multi meter when i bought the kill a watt at harbor freight today. I'm gonna give it to one of my boys, but he won't mind if i try it out first. It has a 10a dc setting.
So just read across the terminals at the input side of the inverter or what?

Across the inverter input there is 12 volts from the battery.  Don't put amp meter there.  The cold cranking amps will smoke the meter.  To measure amps you have to open the circuit and put the amp meter between the source and the load.

I have used the Harbor Freight meter to measure the starting current on a 466 cubic inch  diesel school bus.  Here's how.  Get a 12 inch long piece of awg 10 wire.  It needs to be stranded to be flexible and it really needs to be copper, not copper clad aluminum.  Get a 3 to 6 foot long piece of 16 awg or smaller zip cord.  22 awg will work fine.  Get two ring terminals that will fit on your battery studs and inverter input studs.  On each end of the #10 wire crimp on a ring terminal with a #16 wire too.  At the other end of the zip cord crimp a pair of butt connectors.  Stick the two volt meter leads into the butt connector open ends and squeeze with the crimper just enough so that the meter leads have some friction yet are still easily pulled out.

What you then have is the volt meter with each lead connected to a #16 wire.  Then a few feet of #16 to each end of a foot long piece of #10.  Each end has a ring terminal stuffed with the #10 and a #16.

To measure amps into your inverter disconnect the minus input to the inverter.  Connect one end of the #10 wire ring terminal to the inverter.  With a small nut and bolt connect the other end of the #10 wire ring terminal to the wire you just removed from the inverter.  Set the meter to the DCV 200m setting.  You now see inverter amps up to 200.  Set the meter to 2000m and you see up to 2000 amps.  2000 amps is a lot for #10 but for just a second it will survive 600 to 800.

The #10 wire has resistance, .001 ohms per foot.  The current causes voltage drop.  With the zip cord connected to each end of the #10 wire you can measure that voltage. Your meter is located at a convenient distance.  This set up should give 10% accuracy.  The meter also has about the same accuracy.  So, if the meter indicates 50.0 millivolts you have 50 amps plus or minus 20%, so the actual current is 40 to 60.  This is sufficient accuracy for most troubleshooting.

You can buy a .001 ohm 50 or 100 amp shunt resistor to get real accuracy.  Instead of a 12 inch piece of #10 a 12 an a quarter inch piece will leave close to 12 inches between the points where the #16 wires make contact.  

Another way is to cut a butt connector in half.  Strip an inch of #10 and slide the half butt connector over the wire.  Get the #16 under the half butt connector too and crimp the two together.  Then put on the ring terminal.  Do the same at the other end so that there is 12 inches between the half butt connectors.  Zip tie the #16 and the #10 an inch back to keep joint from stress.

tx2sturgis said:
You would need an in-line amp meter or multi-meter that can read amperage above what you expect to be seeing. These are not common above about 10 amps or so...

Another completely different way to check current is to get several circuit breakers, 10 amp, 20 amp, and 40 amp and try them to see what trips and what holds.  A diesel school bus mechanic showed me that.

I went to test the no load amp draw and decided i'm gonna wait til tomorrow morning. If i disrupt the inverter input now then the kill-a-watt will reset.

The fridge was running so i scrolled through the readings on the kaw and it was drawing just shy of 60 watts.

bardo said:
so am I to assume when the charge controller is saying 54a that means that's what actually was put into the battery after the fridge took it's share.....or is that the total amount of charge for the day? Your panel should be putting out around 110a per day give or take.
Amps measure realtime flow rate.

You must be meaning AH if you are talking capacity, or quantity over time.

bardo said:
I had to do a bit of looking but found out on the midnite solar forum that this screen shows the amount produced in a day. It resets each night. So 54ah is the amount that went into the batteries yesterday. Currently the only draw on the batteries are the inverter and fridge. I believe the inverters share of that number is 0.8 amps or 19.2ah daily. That leaves 34.8ah used by the fridge.

The kill a watt should prove or disprove this. After that (tomorrow) i'll test the no load draw on the inverter.

So I asked this earlier and it's off-topic but how come a 260w panel is only getting that? 260w / 19v = 13.07A x 8hrs = 110amps

that is under ideal conditions. so unless you are tracking the sun you would only multiply the 13a by 4-5 hours depending on several factors. highdesertranger

When the battery starts to get full the charge controller limits the voltage, amps taper.  The rest of the energy is not harvested, not measured, shut off, those amps never flow.

How much you get today depends on what you used last night.