Anyone use the Amazon Fire Stick?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
So I currently have two flat screen tv's, a 42" in my living room and a 40" on the wall in my bedroom and both are smart tv's.  These will both obviously be too big when moving into a van so I plan on getting a smaller one to mount above the bed in my van.  I was going to get another smart tv so I can watch Netflix and Hulu or just listen to Pandora Radio whenever I'm near WiFi.  But my friend just got me an Amazon Fire Stick for my birthday so I'm thinking I can save some money by just getting a smaller flat screen that isn't a smart tv.

She bought if for me specifically for when I move into a van, how sweet is she?

So I was wondering if anyone else uses one and do you think I should still get a smart tv or is it not necessary at all with then fire stick?

My sister recently bought a flat screen tv and I think it's a 27" or 32" but it's not a smart tv, so I told her I would switch my 40" for her 32" when I leave.  hahaha  She's pretty happy about that.

I use a Fire Stick and love it, but you do need wifi and an HDMI slot on the TV to hook it up. Also if you have a Smartphone, IPad or similar...and are an Amazon Prime member you don't need a tv, you can watch it on it/them, without a fire stick.

We have a Firestick, love it. Both for watching stuff on it as well as mirror casting what is playing on the phone. You can watch anything that you can on a smart TV.

I have a roku is the firestick better.

While I think the firestick works fine, I have nothing to compare it to except connecting a smart TV to wifi and getting netflix going. I don't remember it being much different. I do seem to remember reading that the stick was on the lower end of the pecking order. It's pretty inexpensive for what it does.

Absolutely love my fire stick, that being said I don't typically use it when I camp. But then I'm car camping and don't have a big ole van. :D If you got the space go for it.

I've been using it for a couple weeks now and love it.  And with my Amazon Prime I've made music playlist which I love.  Once I'm on the road of course I'll only be able to use it when I have wifi but it's definitely worth it to have for when I want it and I plan on having a small tv in the back of my van.

We use the fire stick and almost exclusively use it to mirror cast our HD smartphone screen to the TV screen so we can stream tv and movies with unlimited data on the cricket plan.  Works so well!   Also is nice if you go to a hotel, as you can do the same thing on their tv if it has a HDMI input.

IGTB that just got my attention!
I was thinking of moving to Cricket for unlimited but they had no adapter to send signal to a monitor
would this work for that, so I could use my cell as my 'PC' and not be tethering through the actual PC via At&t?
or will it only work for movies / videos?

We have one account with Cricket on their unlimited plan and use it for mirror casting all the time. It's so much better than using a adapter because you can keep the phone plugged in and where it gets the best signal. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for a very desktop like experience. Smart TVs don't even need the stick, you can mirrorcast right to them.

I think my TV is dumb, lol
sounds like that may be a winner, though, pack up the PC and get a fire stick, BT keyboard and mouse, thanks! a bit of spending and I might be off this misely 5G a months (for near the same price as Cricket's unlimited plan)

I'll add this. I paid extra for the voice remote model, if that's the only feature, it's not worth it. You won't touch the stick once it connects to the phone.

I reallfiy like my Amazon Fire and of course you can still read from the the kindle function without wi-fi

I have had a Kindle Fire, Fire TV Stick and Fire TV. I don't have mobile lifestyle so I cannot comment on any of that (yet) but the devices are top notch.

The TV Stick's menus are faster than the Roku Stick my grandmother had and the TV device proper is as fast if not faster (seemingly) than the Apple TV I have in my bed room.

I gave the TV stick to my grandmother recently and the TV device to my uncle (who is so anti-technology it runs from him and blows up out of fear) and they both can get around on them with no problems. My uncle uses the voice remote and loves it.

Have used both fire stick and fire tv device. Sent the fire stick back. The fire tv can side load (alternate app install) an application called KODI. The application KODI is an Internet streaming beast that can handle plugin sub applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Kodi on a stick, it works but the stick needs a bigger buffer really.