Anyone try these 12v heated mattress pads before?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a house battery?  It can pull 7 amps on high looks like.  That might be ok for a big tractor battery but a regular car battery I'd be worry about starting in the morning.  Without a deep cycle, won't it kill off a regular battery pretty fast?

I'm sure you are right, I've seen dual batt setups in the Tacoma, but until then, I would have to be careful. Looks promising though.

Anything powered by 12 volts must take 10 times the power from a battery or other source that a 120 volt powered device will draw from the plug. As a rule of thumb, that is. But you can see you'd have to have the equivalent of 10&nbsp;sources such as batteries to&nbsp;make 12 volts behave like 120 in your vehicle.&nbsp;<br /><br />In other words. Don't try to make heat from 12 volts for longer than a few minutes. It is not cost-effective. So say the laws of physics. My mobile uses of 120 volts from the house battery (group 27 deep cycle and 190 watts of solar) are limited to 90-second omlettes and dinners in the microwave and such.&nbsp;Heat comes from propane as does back-up cooking. Electricity comes from the e2000i Honda generator if necessary. Warmth in bed comes from a 103-degree Cocker Spaniel.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

I've been eyeing this one. It has 120v pug but it has a transformer that converts it to 12v. I am thinking to cut the wire and add a 12v connection. $59 for a twin<br /><br /><a href="/post/www.amazon.com/Soft-Heat-Micro-Plush-Low-Voltage-Electric/dp/B003ZSHDE0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&amp;colid=20OWP6T2J735P&amp;coliid=I2PSN1JUE6TPSB" rel="nofollow"><br />www.amazon.com/Soft-Heat-Micro-Plush-Low-Voltage-Electric/dp/B003ZSHDE0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&amp;colid=20OWP6T2J735P&amp;coliid=I2PSN1JUE6TPSB</a>

I have used an electric mattress pad for the last 2 winters, and I love it because I can heat it up a bit before I crawl in bed and it's already warmed up. I learned to do that when I spent my last 40 below in my cabin in Wyoming.

I used a $20 electric 'throw blanket' when I was car/tent camping in Southern Illinois in February. I plugged it into a deep cycle marine battery (outside the tent). It was great for warming up the bed before crawling in, but it didn't heat all night. It didn't matter though. I had two other blankets, two down comforters, and a four-legged space heater.

I've been eyeing this one. It has 120v pug but it has a transformer that converts it to 12v. I am thinking to cut the wire and add a 12v connection. $59 for a twin <br>
<br><br>&nbsp;I've got a Terrier, and she runs on plain kibble.. easier on the battery too!