12 volt fan Amazon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorVation

Reaction score
My new 12 volt fan showed up today. I picked it up at an Amazon drop or whatever they call it at a Rite Aid in 29 Palms Ca.
It was 40 bucks but I had $10 in rewards points so it only cost me 32.82 inc tax.
I'll put a link to it below.

For a low price fan it kicks some butt. I don't know the CFM but it moves a lot of air. More than both my Opolar usb fans combined. A lot more. It has 10, 12" blades. Comes wit' a ciggie plug adapter. I'll probably get rid of that after I'm sure it's not gonna blow up.

If you read the reviews, you'll find people comparing it to the Endless Breeze. If you're thinking about getting one I strongly suggest reading the reviews. It does make some noise but if I'm hot enough I'll get over it. It's not too bad on low. It just cooled the van down pretty quickly considering the exhaust pipe heats the floor in the back up when I'm driving.

I'm just passing along what I consider to be a good deal to beat the heat. There are a couple reviews that mention power draw measured with a meter.

FAQ

Q.Why didn't you get the x fan?
A. Because I got this fan.

Q. Why didn't you get the z fan.
A. Because I got this fan

That should cover it....

40$ 12 volt fan Amazon

I got news for you my Endless Breeze makes noise too. Not bad on low but on medium or high it's annoying. So for half the price you did good. Highdesertranger

:thumbsup: They're getting something like 139. on Amazon for the Endless Breeze now. I didn't want to spend that right now. Watching the nickles because of gas prices here in CA.
I was looking at AC box fans to just be done with it and plug it into the inverter during the day and this thing popped up.
I'm amazed at the air it moves. I'm thinking at the very least it will pull out all the 'greenhouse effect' hot air out of this tuna can pretty easily. The smaller fans I have don't even come close. I don't have a roof vent but this should suffice.

Edited to add. It's pretty sturdy. I was surprised. It weighs about 4 1/4 lb

Quick Products QP-TE1-0126 Boundless Breeze Ultimate RV/Marine Fan is product name for searching on site.

Some guy had a box fan a couple years ago in his build, did a vid on it saying how wonderful it was (it did move air) but then a video later he had pulled it out, drew too much power. Like anything ac, the conversion and efficiency losses seem to kill it.

Yeah, I normally don't use AC appliances other than my coffeemaker twice a day but I have a surplus of power when the sun's shining. I knew a heat wave was coming and it would have been an inexpensive fix. This 12v fan will just about keep up with most AC box fans

I used the fan all day yesterday with no problems. It kept the van at about the same temp inside as outside. That temp was 87 degrees for a while. 
I came up with a better fix. I moved from 2000 and some odd feet to 6800 and change today. It's 65 up here. I can deal with that.

I'm under a lot of trees and may have to chase solar so instead of using my electric coffemaker just now, I made a cup of instant (what am I a savage)? on the propane stove. There may also be clouds the next couple days so I'm going real easy on my batteries.

If you can stand some noise I'm thinking the fan is a good deal. It's really not bad at all on low. Medium is pushing it but it also moves a ton of air. High? I'll leave that alone for now

Get a Melita single cup drip coffee maker and some size 2 filters to make coffee without electricity.

Friends don't let friends drink instant coffee...

I’m set up that all my regular looking plugs run thru the inverter so I can plug in all my regular appliances and fans, etc without a ciggy plug. Can I just put a regular plug on that fan or is it more complicated.

^^^No you cannot run a 12 volt DC fan directly on 120 volt AC circuits you will most likely burn down your motor home to the ground. All an inverter does is change 12 volt DC to !20 volt AC. The reason different voltage circuits use different style plugs is to prevent that for safety reasons making it physically impossible to plug them in where they shouldn't be plugged in.

If you have to go instant coffee... Trader Joes sells some that's Columbian and very good. FYI :)

bullfrog said:
^^^No you cannot run a 12 volt DC fan directly on 120 volt AC circuits you will most likely burn down your motor home to the ground. All an inverter does is change 12 volt DC to !20 volt AC. The reason different voltage circuits use different style plugs is to prevent that for safety reasons making it physically impossible to plug them in where they shouldn't be plugged in.

I get that with plugs but what about household type looking switches? I have 12v DC typical water pump that I want a three way switch working from two locations. I purchased two extra heavy duty 20 amp three way household switches for that purpose and will be wiring that 12v pump with a 4ft long #12 gauge wire between the two (3 way) switches and the water pump. Anybody see  any problem with these switches and the wire size?

Nope. I have used household switches for DC applications before. In fact, a lot of DC switches are rated for AC use.

Edit to add: Draw the circuit on paper before hooking it up.

B and C said:
Edit to add:  Draw the circuit on paper before hooking it up.

I took AC & DC circuitry in my senior year of High School. The school district offered a few advanced courses off campus at a central location across town. I loved that because it got me out of PE for my senior year. As a builder I wired several new houses while the panel was hot. (in the rain wearing beach walker thongs) Yep, sounds dumb. It's electrifying. 

I also designed, built, and wired a world class recording studio in Clearwater Florida. But this solar and wire gage stuff for DC wiring has me glad that I'm asking questions. I've seen jeepers stick a few batteries together in series and weld with Nickle pocket change for welding rod before. It worked. They did a field fix in the middle of nowhere. So seeing that, I'm not in a hurry to wipe out my solar system. 
Thanks

I also have a 12 volt one, but it doesn’t make much noise, at least it doesn’t interfere with sleep