Anyone spend time traveling Alaska, Canada for 6-12 months

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekking

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has traveled Alaska and Canada for the summer season or even for the whole year. Which seem like a really nice adventure to travelling either in Alaska or Canada or both of them for year. Anyone who has done it up and any tips on it.

I hope the Hippychick finds this thread, as I believe that she's the one who just came down from AK to travel the lower 48. (or maybe she's the one who just came down from BC....hard to keep track these days!!!) :-/

Anyways, I have driven the AlCan twice (in the dead of winter...in a semi-truck no less), and I LOVED it!!! Got down the Kenai to Homer, and spent alittle exploring the Anchorage area too. Man, I can't wait to go back!

So now, I plan to drive all the way up as far as I can go....to the Arctic Circle if I can. Cover as much of the state as I can, try and work a few events to help pay my way, and hopefully, take the Inside Passage ferry back down.

When will I do this?? It's gonna be acouple years before I'll get my shot at it, but it's definately on my bucket! :p

What kinda trip do you have in mind??

I lived in Whitehorse for 5 years, 81 to 86 been up a few times since, last time I was up there was 08, rode a scooter up and down the highway. I am planning another trip up possibly next summer in the Kurbmaster want to drive as far as Anchorage. I don't know how many times I have driven either the Alaska highway or the Stewart/Cassiar but several, at least 10 times in all seasons. I never tire of it. the first time I went I planned to stay the summer, I wanted to canoe the Yukon from Whitehorse to Dawson. Five years later I moved out never having canoed the Yukon, my only advice be careful it can suck you in.

The last of my three trips to AK was in 2012. That is the year I drove to Deadhorse / Prudhoe Bay. I think I have now driven every road there is in AK, except the roads to McCarthy and Eagle. Each of my trips was between four and eight weeks, in Spring, Summer and late summer / early autumn.

And somehow, it beckons again.

The first, and probably most important thing you should do is purchase a copy of The Milepost. This is the bible of all who make the trek north, and is so full of information on all possible roads and routes, services and accommodation and everything else you can imagine, north of the Canadian border.

You can read most of my last trip, which took me up the Haul Road and to Yellowknife, in this field report.

Lifey

Ta-da...she did indeed find this thread *laugh*...I think I like being a bit notorious! And yes, I started this tour in BC...~~~waving from Florida! Its OrganicandWild who will be coming down from Alaska but I think its next year??

@Trekking - Absolutely do Canada!! Its the awesomest place!! I have driven it from coast to coast to coast to coast (I'm counting both Hudson Bay and the Beaufort Sea as coasts for thost keeping score *smile*) and you won't find worse roads or better scenery anywhere! I don't know where you are from but if its a place that is warm the best tip is invest in good quality cold weather technology for all your gear and clothes. Buy in Canada (or Alaska I guess.) Gear example - Honda 1000/2000 new style generator. US model, 2 years warranty and NO cold weather tec built in. Canadian model, 3 years warranty and HAS cold weather tec (which in this case means its exhaust is extended/baffled so it doesn't freeze up on ya' in sub-zero.) Clothing example - My winter gloves, fingers free to be functional but engineered so that if I fall into deep snow (ski gloves) the fingers will force themselves together...I tried them, I don't think it would help in an avalanche but for a basic free fall its elven magic! Oh, they are leather and personally I can't drive in any gloves I've found so far that aren't leather although I am sure there is a polymer that works.

My first time to Alaska...I thumbed up in '74 (yes math wizards...I was 14 and NO my parents weren't crazy...they just let crazy go! *laugh*). So, I end up getting deported from Alaska...way too funny - got nabbed for hitch hiking in a prohibited area, they drove me to the border (the direction I was going!), walked me to the Canadian side and told me that they believed it was also illegal to hitch in that particular spot but no longer their issue. I started that trip from Point Pelee, Ontario (which is just a bit over a hour from where I was born - if you know the back roads) and got as far north as I could which pretty much meant Whitehorse by thumb back then.

@Patrick46 - You can drive past the Arctic Circle my firend! I was kinda' hoping to do that myself again next summer. So far I'm on budget but as a true gear whore its hard! *sigh* Every time I covet something I close my eyes and imagine a gas pump with the dial spinning.

I've done Canada and the US on a motorcycle (a tip, never do 10,000 miles on a British bike...the vibration effects on your butt will outlive the trip! However the fun of one up then slam her down shifting makes mountains better than drugs! But then mountains are generally more fun than drugs IMHO), I've done it lots of vehicles...and if I can - YOU can!!

Do it...Do it...Do it...!!!

~Joni~

P.S. @flying kurbmaster2...can you teach me to canoe?...I absolutely suck in a canoe! hippiechk+canoe=swimming

Kurbmaster and Hippychick...

actually, I'm thnking of riding my bike up there next year as well. Something else I've been wanting to check off my list! (I've even got a camper I pull behind mine!)

ALASKA....here I come!!! :D

@patrick46

Now yer makin' me feel old...last couple of trips with 2 on the Gold Wing with camper were only a few hours riding a day and I was wimping.

I want to see you ride in to the proposed summer RTR in AK on your bike! I'll elbow my way to the front of the line to be the first one to give you a hug!

hippiechk said:
@patrick46
I want to see you ride in to the proposed summer RTR in AK on your bike! I'll elbow my way to the front of the line to be the first one to give you a hug!

What if I ride down to the Quartzite RTR this winter??? ;)

600 - 700 mile days are not out of my scope.

btw....we used to have a beautiful GoldWing for touring on, and we BOTH HATED IT!!! (sold it 2 months after we bought it)

oh yeah...Frankenstein...
P1010566.JPG

Attachments

• P1010566.JPG
    P1010566.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 6
@ patrick46

Yea-Rah...bring it on! I will still elbow my way up front to hug ya' in Q~site!

And nice ride!!

600 - 700 miles scootin' is a decent days ride!

I was in a cage but did 1143.5 my last day driving here...hmmm - just 1400 from Brownsville, TX to Belize... *laugh* (OMG, mental picture of me sitting beside the road trying to trade my good gear for gas in broken Spanish!)

Allllright...(flexing newbie Mod wings), this is getting off-topic *smile*...

There is tons of land in Canada where you can camp for free :) like BLMing in the US but here (there?)...in Canada... its called Crown Land. And, what is called disbursed camping in some parts the US would be called parking in Canada...disbursed means you can not see, hear, smell nor likely even walk to the next site. Plan to carry lots of supplies although water is usually easy to find but do have a decent microbial filter if you intend to consume it!!

There are lots of pay-to-stay places in the southern parts of Canada although if you really want to see the place you need to go north. Again here, paved road takes on a slightly different meaning...anyone driven Flin Flon to Thompson lately?...how is the path doing? Can someone else explain frost boils while I go play by the citrus tree...

The question was real information about travelling in Canada and to Alaska wasn't it?

Wow that is a lot of mileage on a bike not sure how you guys manage, I feel like a bit of a wimp, on that trip north then across Midwest to Tennesee up to Ontario, my best days were around 300 miles and I thought I was doing good. Even worst in 2002 we rented a scooter in Italy for six weeks and the best we did there was 70 a day., and that was kms..... too many distractions, it was harvest time so there seemed to be a festival in every town and a town around every corner.
Last summer we did the Trans Labrador which is touted as the new Alaska highway, we drove just about everyday covered 7700 kms in six weeks, not so many distractions, 1000kms of gravel mixed in between rough and new paved sections, up to 425kms between services stations and nothing in between except wilderness. I still prefer the Alaska highway, but definatly an interesting journey and worth a look. consider an extra spare, I guess it would be similar on the Alaska if you plan on driving fast, I didn't have one but I never went over 55 mph ,most of the time a lot slower and had 10 ply tires, However I did bring 30 litres of extra fuel but never needed it. Fuel gets more expensive the further Norht you go and when you are the only show in town you can charge what you like so extra fuel is not a crazy idea even if you can do the distances. A lot of people with flat tires, most were driving over 60mph. We met 4 over a period of one and a half days one had two flats on a section that had over 400kms between services.
Last time I went up in 2008 I noticed a lot of service stations closed down.