Anyone running IP Phones while on the Road.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone running IP Phones while on the Road, I have a IP Phone and was seeing how you are hooking Ethernet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of old Android phones with no service that I connect to either my Verizon or AT&T hotspot and use Hangouts Dialer with Google Voice on.

I did setup a LAN for the van that would give you your ethernet port. I am guessing you are using an Obihai (I am, in the S&B) or something similar that requires the ethernet. Here is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07794JRC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a wireless repeater that has an ethernet port on it that you could use. I connect it to my hotspot to get better WiFi range.

What are you using for internet access?

Edit to add: You will need a strong cell signal for your hotspot and hope you are not on a congested tower because you can get dropped packets.

Verizon Wireless and I am in Sales and on the Road But would love to stay on the road and just make calls all morning I have a Cisco IP phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I retired from the wired telecommunications industry just as my company was deploying Cisco phones. Making phone calls over a data connection without QOS (quality of service) on it could be problematic as in dropped packets or getting received in the wrong order (both ends). When the data bandwidth is plentiful it should not be a problem. It's when the towers are congested or a weak signal is when you will have problems. I guess you can't make the calls with your cell phone and a bluetooth headset as you need the Caller ID on the far end to reflect the company number and name. I wish I knew more about how cell phones work. If it was the other way around, the Cisco phone could "spoof" your cell phone number. Your IT department could do that. Be sure to get a signal booster with a good directional antenna. I guess you could park by a library and use the WiFi repeater to connect to the library's WiFi (or other WiFi). Libraries normally have a good internet connection.

Latest posts