Internet question for dummies (me)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jays, are you in a vehicle or are you in a house/apartment? Let's start there.

You asked us to keep it simple, but many can't help themselves when trying to be helpful here.

So what is your actual situation. Until we know this, we can't properly help you

Jays, are you in a vehicle or are you in a house/apartment? Let's start there.

You asked us to keep it simple, but many can't help themselves when trying to be helpful here.

So what is your actual situation. Until we know this, we can't properly help you

I am not yet mobile, Yet I'm living out of totes as if I was. Still have stuff that needs to go, and other things needed. I figure spring time. my communication choices need to be based on a nomad lifestyle, and not on a permenate structure. this journey for me needs to go in steps, and not in a crash, everything at once.

I am not yet mobile, Yet I'm living out of totes as if I was. Still have stuff that needs to go, and other things needed. I figure spring time. my communication choices need to be based on a nomad lifestyle, and not on a permenate structure. this journey for me needs to go in steps, and not in a crash, everything at once.
Are you planning on staying in that area once mobile? And using cell service for Internet? The are other options available.. but we'll discuss those after you answer the questions below.

If so you'll need service that uses Verizon towers, as you've mentioned it's the only service available in that area

What type of vehicle will you be using? Is cost a factor for you? What type of areas do you plan on visiting?

The answers to these questions will refine your options. Just taking this step by step to keep it simple.

Hi, Jay's.

We use the cricket pay-as-you-go service plan, paying $90 a month for 2 phones with the hotspot option with 15 gigs. We can drop more gigs as needed by buying an additional card, but I can only remember having to do it once in the last decade. You just have to make sure the phone has a hotspot, as some don't. I've found some at Walmart for $40-60. The drawback with the cheaper phones is decreased battery life.

Are you planning on staying in that area once mobile? And using cell service for Internet? The are other options available.. but we'll discuss those after you answer the questions below.

If so you'll need service that uses Verizon towers, as you've mentioned it's the only service available in that area

What type of vehicle will you be using? Is cost a factor for you? What type of areas do you plan on visiting?

The answers to these questions will refine your options. Just taking this step by step to keep it simple.

Nomad life is out of choice, not necessity for me.
I'll stay with Verison. My bills are all auto paid.
Planning on extended van. Stealth and ease of travel are important. Yes, I already know they are small.
Travel wherever the wind takes me.
I am up in age, and there has to be more to life then setting in the house waiting for the end to come.
I have no trust in government, or the way the world is going..
I plan to keep Tennessee as home base. I do love the mountains.
I am able to make it on my social security. I spend very little.
If I remember right, my origional post was questions on communication, as I never had a smart phone.

Your original question was regarding Internet access.

You have a couple options:
You can use cell towers for Internet access.
You can use StarLink for Internet access.

Using cell towers you can:
Use a phone with hotspot capability. There are many capable phones available for a wide range of prices.

Use a hotspot device. These are standalone devices that connect to cell towers. There are a few decent choices.

Either choice will basically act like your home Wi-Fi in most respects. Your laptop will connect to them via Wi-Fi just like at home.

There are two limitations you might run into:
Internet speed. This will vary depending on how strong your signal is. And how many people nearby are using the cell tower you're connected to.

Data caps. Most cell based Internet service has some limit on the amount of data you can use per month. Some are a true unlimited.

If you go with cell tower based Internet I strongly suggest Visible. It's owned and operated by Verizon, and uses their towers. They are truly unlimited. It should provide your with enough bandwidth to stream your shows most of the time.

Do not use Verizon for hotspot data, as they aren't cheap. Visible is basically the same at a $25 a month.
---------
StarLink
If you go with StarLink, it will allow you to have pretty strong Internet service regardless of where your wander. It does cost more monthly, but you'll likely be able to get service in areas you can't with cellular if you go off the beaten path.

It will take up more space, and use more energy. But if you have the space and have the right build, it might be a great option. Not sure about the stealth factor.

There are a couple really solid threads here regarding StarLink that are worth reading.
-------

Either choice doesn't require you to do much for them to work. You can use them at home right now and then on the road later.