Anybody here use WhatsApp?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
I've downloaded WhatsApp to communicate with someone who strongly prefers that method. (Not a huge fan, but sometimes you have to meet people where they are.)

I've read many articles telling me how simple and easy to use it is :-/ , and I think it's going OK, but I'm confused about a few things. Any WhatsApp veterans care to weigh in?

(1) So some people prefer it to texting because it doesn't eat phone minutes ... but it does eat data, right? so isn't that sort of six/half-dozen? depending on which you have more of?

(2) Even though it uses your phone number to identify you, it doesn't actually use your phone line/phone plan at all ... right? if wrong, please correct!

(3) Would it be normal to get an answer right away, or is it more like email where a message can just sit there for awhile and people answer when they're ready?

(4) Anything particular about either the tech or the etiquette that I should know? (I assume there are privacy issues; I don't plan on using it for anything confidential.)

Now going as far away from my computer as I can get for a few hours ... but thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

I much prefer Telegram. 

I also have Signal but don't use it as much as Telegram.

Either of these is way better than Whatsapp for many reasons.

To add to my post, yes, it finds you through your telephone number but doesn't use talking minutes.  Telegram will use wifi if it is available otherwise it uses data.  I even use it to call when calling overseas which I do daily with a dear friend in Germany.  It is basically like text messaging with voice and video added to it.

As for etiquette—be kind as you would in any other situation.

Telegram and Signal are much more secure than Whatsapp.

Good to know, but unfortunately I'm stuck with WhatsApp. The only reason I'm getting into this at all is because the other person doesn't want to use phone/text/email.
On the bright side, at least they're not asking for Zoom!