Internet question for dummies (me)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jays

Reaction score
every post are talking over my head. I have windows11, and if I get very far away from my modem it doesn't work. My cell phone is a flip with call in, call out, and text. I'm dumber then a rock. How do I stay connected, on the road as I do everything on the computer. PLEASE keep it simple.

I think we might need a bit more info to help. But, I'll take a swing at it.

1. When you say you have a modem you have to stay close to, I will assume that it is located at a stationary location (S&B home) or you would not be on the net right now.
2. When you say you have a simple flip phone, I will assume it cannot function as a hotspot.

The quick answer is that unless you upgrade your technology in one or more of several possible ways, you can't get connected once you hit the road. If my assumptions are wrong... then just ignore my reply and fill in the blanks.

I think we might need a bit more info to help. But, I'll take a swing at it.

1. When you say you have a modem you have to stay close to, I will assume that it is located at a stationary location (S&B home) or you would not be on the net right now.
2. When you say you have a simple flip phone, I will assume it cannot function as a hotspot.

The quick answer is that unless you upgrade your technology in one or more of several possible ways, you can't get connected once you hit the road. If my assumptions are wrong... then just ignore my reply and fill in the blanks.

Thank you..My daughter just called me and she told me what a hotspot was and how it worked. Sounds like if I upgraded to a I-Phone, I could hit a button and connect to the laptop, although there might be more to it then that. IDK

Your daughter is correct. It doesn't have to be an iPhone though. Most high-end Android phones also have hotstop tethering as well. Just make sure about it before making any changes.

Before I forget...
Talk to your cell phone provider and explain what you want to do before picking a new phone or cell phone plan. Different plans and vendors have different limits that could affect your experience. The cheaper the plan the more likely it is to have data limits and/or bandwidth throttling.

Before I forget...
Talk to your cell phone provider and explain what you want to do before picking a new phone or cell phone plan. Different plans and vendors have different limits that could affect your experience. The cheaper the plan the more likely it is to have data limits and/or bandwidth throttling.
I have verison now. Where I live, It's the only tower anywhere around,

I have verison now. Where I live, It's the only tower anywhere around,
Jays, I have a phone plan by Visible a division of Verison. My $79 phone allows me to access the internet on the phone, make connection for internet for my Kindle tablet, and by usb cable connect my laptop to the internet, all at one time. I only pay $25 a month for unlimited service. The downside is that Visible is not novice user friendly. If you have someone who can assist you it is a very good service. I wish you the best on your quest for internet access.

Jays, if you can afford a seperate hotspot with it's own cellular data plan, that is usually best, but if you need to stay with just one phone/cellular data plan then you need to make sure that you upgrade to a phone with hotspotting and/or tethering, and your plan should have a generous amount of data included each month. 10 GB would be the minimum, and could last anywhere from a week to a month if you are very frugal with your streaming. 100 GB of data (or unlimited) would be much better.

Depending on where you plan to do your off-grid camping, you may also need a cellular booster.

Good luck.

I have an iPhone with hotspot but I rarely use it anymore; just do everything thru my iPhone.

Years back I carried my MacBook and iPad with me mostly for my engineering business etc and would use the ifone as hotspot for internet connection but the last cupl years I haven’t carried the iPad or MacBook as I’ve completely retired from my profession.

Just more electronic gizmos I need to charge and anything I do on the internet I can use the iphone for.

If you don’t absolutely need the computer why bring it? If you upgrade to a smartphone that has hotspot capability you can pretty much do everything directly with it rather than use it simply as a hotspot go between.

sayin
intjonny

I have an iPhone with hotspot but I rarely use it anymore; just do everything thru my iPhone.

Years back I carried my MacBook and iPad with me mostly for my engineering business etc and would use the ifone as hotspot for internet connection but the last cupl years I haven’t carried the iPad or MacBook as I’ve completely retired from my profession.

Just more electronic gizmos I need to charge and anything I do on the internet I can use the iphone for.

If you don’t absolutely need the computer why bring it? If you upgrade to a smartphone that has hotspot capability you can pretty much do everything directly with it rather than use it simply as a hotspot go between.

sayin
intjonny
Agree with this. OR you could get an iPad with wifi and cell phone capability. Advantage of an iPad over an iPhone is the larger screen, makes for better movie viewing if you're into that. Also has more capability in certain areas that might or might not be of use to you. For instance, you can draw on an iPad.

I say iPad and iPhone because that's what I have, I'm sure you can get the same things from an Android system.

And don't forget, you don't need the latest version of either an iPad or iPhone to do what you need, you can buy refurbished from Apple with a very good warranty or from a third party. And again, I'm sure you could find pretty good Android refurbs.

Tell us EXACTLY what you do with your computer, we can help you narrow things down a bit. Would also be helpful to know where you are traveling. For instance, Verizon is very good most places in the west.

Last edited:

sayin
intjonny
Gaming is much better on a laptop than on a phone. :) I don't game often, but when I do, I go all in.

I say iPad and iPhone because that's what I have, I'm sure you can get the same things from an Android system.
Does anyone else with an iPhone and a non-cellular iPad notice that your iPhone and iPad that use the same apple ID will pair with each other when there is no available wifi network for the ipad? I assume, which perhaps I should not, that this is an intentional feature built in to the apple system...

Does anyone else with an iPhone and a non-cellular iPad notice that your iPhone and iPad that use the same apple ID will pair with each other when there is no available wifi network for the ipad? I assume, which perhaps I should not, that this is an intentional feature built in to the apple system...
Yes it is intentional. They will also bond with a laptop or any other Apple device you have. Among other things, this is a feature of the "Find My" app. They will tell you that you have left one of them behind. The app also tells you the place the device was when it was last turned on.

I know nothing about what pares with what. I don't have anything apple. I mostly stream free tv programs.

I know nothing about what pares with what. I don't have anything apple. I mostly stream free tv programs.
Stick with Android. You just need a better/newer phone... a plan that has gobs of GBs... and a cell booster will come in handy once you get the rest figured out.

Stick with Android. You just need a better/newer phone... a plan that has gobs of GBs... and a cell booster will come in handy once you get the rest figured out.
I agree. You have no reason to switch operating systems. So you need an Android phone with a hot spot. I don't know the ins and outs of Android/Windows, though, so I don't know how your phone will connect to your computer.

Once you have a phone that can work as a hotspot your computer will connect to it via wifi, just like a home network. Just turn on the hotspot on the phone then find the list of available wifi networks on your computer and connect to it. I have the Visible service and one of their $100 Android phones that I use as a hotspot for my Android tablet and Windows computer. Works well but like was stated above Visible customer service is nearly non existent.

I have different experiences for different phones, providers, and locations. The same could apply to you - or not.

I had an Android w/several different providers and all was good. Then, when I really needed a connection and I had Visible I couldn't get any kind of connection while an iPhone on Verizon right next to me had a good connection. That was near the Oregon coast. Maybe other areas would be different for different setups. I have since changed my phone to an iPhone and my provider to standard no limit Verizon. I also have a booster for when I am in fringe areas. I haven't had any problems since.

My point is that there many moving parts once you start moving around. I have also heard both good and bad about Starlink, which would get you away from depending on cell phones or cell towers. Might be worth you investigating.

I was told by verison today that since I video chat with my daughter I would probably need an I-phone, same as her for things to work right. I swear, the more I learn the dumber I feel

I have 3 lines on Verizon MNVO, US Mobile. 2 on cell phones both get 75GB, 1 on Verizon Tablet gets 30GB (why less on a tablet I cannot answer)
So... 3 lines and 180 GB month high speed and I pay total on family plan of $75 and they pay my Netflix as a Perk.. So $65.

I have a multiple band cell booster and I am very happy with it. Actually I have a single band too, I keep in the van, takes a few minutes to hook up.

I used to have Hughesnet. The difference in power usage is incredible, as well as satellite maintenance . I don't know how much Starlink uses but I am guessing about the same and if you are running it day and night it adds up.

They both have high traffic slow times...