Anyone recommend a good value stealth van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I’m older I can no longer stealth camp as I keep loosing my vehicle in the Walmart parking lot! Lol!!! I used to put a fishing bobber on my antenna but vehicles stopped coming equipped with them. A truly stealth vehicle isn’t a good option for someone like me. Just saying! The best option for me was to park legally by buying a parking pass at a public parking area, taking a gym class at a local college that had parking for students, parking were I worked during the day with the owner’s permission or near a local hospital or police station. There are plenty of 24 hour businesses like truck stops, dinners and gyms after they reopen. Some storage places and construction sites have 24 hour access and would welcome the additional security. I would buy something that I could be comfortable in that works for me and find an acceptable parking solution rather than attempting to fight the social system.

A rig with real 4wd has a completely different front drivetrain setup than a fwd only setup. No comparison to costs and ease of maintenance/repair. I would only recommend fwd as a last resort.

East_Coast said:
I'm also interested in stealth living in the same area (Bucks county PA or Mercer/Burlington co NJ) so I can relate to the need for stealth. The east coast is not like the southwest where lots of posters seem to hang out. It's a whole different vibe.

I think the advice upthread to look at what type of vehicles are common in your area is really good. That's one reason why I'm going to buy a minivan.

Firstly, I'm a middle aged woman. I look like a soccer mom. I don't look like someone who does contracting or whatever for a living. So it's already drawing people's attention on some level when I jump out of a contractor van. Me stepping out of a minivan? Nobody on Earth would notice, because that's what matches their expectations. 

Secondly, I see minivans up and down the street all over in this area. Nobody will notice one more. I'm also doing a no-build build. Having all kinds of furniture nailed together in the van is just begging for trouble. These cops out here play no games and are quick to mess your life up. No reason to invite more trouble.

You couldn't be more right. The cops in North NJ are so mean, they just like to ruin your life or patrol things because there's no crime here and they are really idealistic with regard to poorer people or those that choose different lifestyles. 

I am still kind of unclear as to whether I could pull off a Promaster 1500 without a huge build because it's SO much cheaper than the 2500. Some say no the specs won't allow it, other things I read say yes.

East Coast, those in the South or West don't understand East Coast as well, hard to stealth. I wish you luck. I'm leaning towards a Ram Promaster, Ford Transit of some sort, OR Nissan NV Cargo although it's to be discontinued apparently in 2021. I need to keep budget under 25k$ and I don't want over 25k miles.

bullfrog said:
Now that I’m older I can no longer stealth camp as I keep loosing my vehicle in the Walmart parking lot! Lol!!! I used to put a fishing bobber on my antenna but vehicles stopped coming equipped with them. A truly stealth vehicle isn’t a good option for someone like me. Just saying! The best option for me was to park legally by buying a parking pass at a public parking area, taking a gym class at a local college that had parking for students, parking were I worked during the day with the owner’s permission or near a local hospital or police station. There are plenty of 24 hour businesses like truck stops, dinners and gyms after they reopen. Some storage places and construction sites  have 24 hour access and would welcome the additional security. I would buy something that I could be comfortable in that works for me and find an acceptable parking solution rather than attempting to fight the social system.

Where on earth can you get a "parking pass" especially in NJ? That sounds like an intriguing idea but I have no clue where. The local college idea is too temporary for me and truck stops and dinners just stick out and are patrolled probably. I agree at a certain age it's too hard to sneak around like a ninja in a van it's just too stupid. I wish it was more lenient to be honest where I am and in general.

I haven’t been in New Jersey in years but I’ve always managed even if it cost a little. I’ve joined the YMCA, drove a school bus (bus drivers often take overnight trips and get free parking) and done security for storage facilities, new construction areas and parking garages. Many urban collages offer parking passes. I’ve paid $20 to park my vehicle at a motel truck parking area for almost a month by just talking to the night desk clerk after staying a night to get cleaned up, do laundry and get everything charged up. Many motels have 24 hour restaurants adjoining their truck parking areas so no one really bothers to check who is where but just in case I get a receipt and eat a meal then spend the night. A lot of it is just a matter of getting to know local people that can help like churches, cops, and city workers. Any 24 hour service or business that has a night shift and that has parking is a possibility. Most vehicle repair garages that let you stay while using their services may let you extend your stay if you offer to provide security once they know you. Most apartment buildings offer tenants a parking space, a few of those use public transportation and don’t use their spot. A little cash and a few hours a week doing errands for them may work. I drove a church bus on Sundays and had a parking space every weekend with electricity. If you are going to stay in one area you have to become a part of the community. Don’t become an eyesore and move around often, spend daylight hours in different public places 3 or 4 hours a day. Nobody is gonna to go out of their way to hassle you if they see you out doing something good for the community even if it is just picking up trash. A local community center or church that uses volunteers is a good place to start.

gslanm said:
I am still kind of unclear as to whether I could pull off a Promaster 1500 without a huge build...
I use a Promaster 1500 cargo van and spent about $750 on build materials for a stealth minimalist build. I spent a month building which included floor, bed, garage, saddle bags over the wheel wells, bulkhead, insulation and wall and ceiling coverings, propane and stove cabinet, maxxfan. I spent additional money to upgrade my cooler, stove, tires, and roadside assistance equipment. I have a generator and solar already in my camping gear. I added a trickle charger, a rear air conditioner, and 1 solar panel later. I still want to add a bumper pull hitch or a swing away back porch.

The build is minimalist and versatile in that bins replace cabinets and all the camping gear I already have was used. The toilet is a bucket, and I use a cooler for fresh foods. The cooler is also the step to get into the bed. I included a bulkhead in the build for security, privacy, and division of the cabin from the cab for work.

I found my van using online searches, and bought from a dealer who was liquidating a fleet of used leased vehicles. I bought the one with the lowest miles. I paid cash but the dealer was more than willing to finance payments. Having payments is bad for van life, in my opinion. 

The reason my van purchase was low miles was because there was something wrong with it (minor, a non working radio). It took three visits to a dealer to get them to replace it under warranty. The maker is Fiat and not that easy to get recalls done, they want you to go back to the purchase dealer, about 1500 miles from here. I also fixed my cargo doors (an adjustment) myself. 

All in all I am happy I chose Promaster over Ford Transit and Chevy. It is easier to drive than the rear wheel drive vans and trucks. I love the drive experience with the big windshield and being higher up. The drivers seat is upright instead of buckets, easier on a damaged back. I could go on and on. Hope this helps you decide.
-crofter

Thanks but some people say the 1500 isn't enough specs to really durably sustain a decent build but it's far cheaper over the 2500 so your insight is valuable. I don't plan on doing a huge build, just a moderate build. I don't plan on doing super heavy wood projects or anything like that. I too was leaning towards the Promaster or Nissan NV cargo high top/extended mostly due to their more stealthier ability and less windows, and obviously pricing. Nissan NV has 5 year warranty vs the 3 year Promaster/Ford that's also what attracted me but it's being discontinued next year.

I take it your minimalist build might allow you to use the 1500 specs more easily? I do plan on building a few cabinets and maybe a desk, makeshift shower (bucket/curtain/rod/pipe) but nothing too wood extensive. But if the specs for the 1500 would not allow me a moderate build I'd really like to know from experience van people for sure beforehand.

I too would pay cash not interest payments and lower mileage is paramount to avoiding future problems since it's a large investment. Cargurus/fleet sales is the best place imo. Do you use the solar/generator basically makeshift or is it attached to roof? I was planning a yeti 2000 and a solar panel or two to generate and store eclectic and still stay more stealth enough without panels directly on my roof.

If you never tow anything, stay on good hard packed roads, never plan on a large roof rack with a large solar system, carry very little water, use a lightweight cot for a bed and basically everything else can go into a backpack you can carry, basically using the van as a hard sided tent you will do fine. If later on you want to tow a trailer, add a shower, build storage for a battery bank for a large solar system so you can have a 12 volt refrigerator, go over rougher roads to get to better camps or insulate and panel the interior promise not to get mad when we tell you it ain’t a good idea and you need a heavy duty van. Be prepared to sell the 1500 and get at least a 2500 unless you want a lot of repairs and problems.

I guess just the fact that I'm going to insulate, have a built bed, a desk and cabinet or two, water storage, and a battery that probably weighs 100lbs, again eliminates the 1500 from my plans. Although I wasn't going to build anything too extensive like other's have with vast wood or build in shower. I just assumed the specs on the 1500 and the alleged payload of 4000 pounds (versus 4256 for a Promaster 2500) would suffice. I can't imagine putting more than 2200-3000 pounds in my build. I suppose what you're saying is even if the poundage is under the capacity, straining lower specs even with that will lead to problems, correct? Sad because the price of the 2500's even for used one's at 40k miles are almost $30k. The Promaster 1500 is like 1/3rd cheaper. Is the Nissan NV cargo 2500 (or any other brand that's a good value) is sufficient because I think that's a little cheaper than the used Promaster 2500?

Do your own research and make your own decisions.

All I’m saying is you may find once you get on the road your needs may change or you may find you need more carrying capacity which happens often. You can usually justify getting a heavier van because it generally will last longer than a loaded light van. If you have experience backpacking or traveling by bicycle and know you can live a very simple lifestyle and use the van as a metal tent with a very few light weight improvements it will work fine and cost less money. If you find later on you can’t it will most likely cost much more money to upgrade than to have gotten the heavier van in the first place. Full timers tend to travel with a lot of stuff. An overloaded vehicle is no bueno!

gslanm said:
...I take it your minimalist build might allow you to use the 1500 specs more easily? I do plan on building a few cabinets...
After you install your bulkhead behind the seats, you will have a 6x10 box for the cabin build about 65 inches high or so for the low roof van.

My solar controller is mounted on the cab side of the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, and the battery fits there also. And just a moveable solar panel that lives on the dash, and two luci lights. The luci lights provide me with 6 hours of light in the cabin, and can be charged up on the dash. I put in a reflective ceiling to add light, and creates a soft ambiance with a luci light or other flashlight. The cargo bay comes with a bright floodlight when you want that. 

I do most of my desk type work in the cab, easy to spread out there and there are usb and 12v ports on the dash. I use the top of my range as a desk for the cabin area if I want to work out of view. 

I looked at windows, and would still like to put in euro style awning windows with screens in the back doors, but that would kill my stealth. I put in a side vent instead for flow through ventilation.
-crofter

bullfrog said:
All I’m saying is you may find once you get on the road your needs may change or you may find you need more carrying capacity which happens often. You can usually justify getting a heavier van because it generally will last longer than a loaded light van. If you have experience backpacking or traveling by bicycle and know you can live a very simple lifestyle and use the van as a metal tent with a very few light weight improvements it will work fine and cost less money. If you find later on you can’t it will most likely cost much more money to upgrade than to have gotten the heavier van in the first place. Full timers tend to travel with a lot of stuff. An overloaded vehicle is no bueno!

True but what would happen if I loaded, say, 2700lbs into a Promaster 1500 and never increased the weight. It says 4000lb capacity, but would this permanent weight cause mechanical problems, repairs, or unseen issues for me? In other words, assuming I never increase the weight from 2700lbs, what is the downside getting the 1500 which is $8k cheaper over the 2500? I take it any large weight, even significantly under capacity, will strain a lesser spec van? Is that reality really worth paying $8k more for a used van? That's the question.

The Nissan NV cargo 2500 looks cheap that seems to also be a choice. But the Promaster 2500 can range up to like $31k before taxes with a whopping 30k miles on it. That's very pricey. The Ford's (Transit) seem even more pricey. The least pricey seem to be the Promaster 1500 and the Nissan NV Cargo 2500.

bullfrog said:
So true. I moved from my 4x4 pickup with topper into the PM1500, so for me the van was a huge amount of space. I carry 15 gallons of water but I did not include plumbing in my build, so I am not carrying black or grey tanks. However they are easy to install, just over the rear axle is a nice spot for tanks. 

I have never been underpowered, and done quite a lot of mountain driving. So maybe I'm not overloaded with just one person. I am a part timer, usually 6 months max in the van at any one time. If I was fulltime I would get a swing away back porch for extras like gas cans and things.  -crofter

Go buy(you can sell them on Craigslist or do an arranged return the next day) or borrow 6 of the plastic 55 gallon drums. Rent or test drive a 1500 van for a day. Put the drums in the van and fill them with water, that should weigh a little over 2600 lbs., then go for a drive on the highway, up some long steep grades, maybe a mountain road, go to a park after a few hours and sit in a lawn chair right next to the front of the van so you can feel how hot the radiator gets. Eat some lunch and think about your driving experience. You will have spent maybe $200 to $300 and gotten all your questions answered without having spent thousands of dollars on the wrong van.

crofter said:
All in all I am happy I chose Promaster over Ford Transit and Chevy. It is easier to drive than the rear wheel drive vans and trucks. I love the drive experience with the big windshield and being higher up. The drivers seat is upright instead of buckets, easier on a damaged back. I could go on and on. Hope this helps you decide.
-crofter
Crofter, when you say the Promaster is "easier to drive", do you mean just that the driving position is better, or is it actually more car-like?

bullfrog said:
Go buy(you can sell them on Craigslist or do an arranged return the next day) or borrow 6 of the plastic 55 gallon drums. Rent or test drive a 1500 van for a day. Put the drums in the van and fill them with water, that should weigh a little over 2600 lbs., then go for a drive on the highway, up some long steep grades, maybe a mountain road, go to a park after a few hours and sit in a lawn chair right next to the front of the van so you can feel how hot the radiator gets. Eat some lunch and think about your driving experience. You will have spent maybe $200 to $300 and gotten all your questions answered without having spent thousands of dollars on the wrong van.

I get it. So putting permanent weight, even if under the capacity, on the 15000's specs, harshly stresses and degrades the lower specs/system. So generally weight capacity is just a guide for how much, but if you permanently build something the stress over time or under certain conditions like up a hill or highway lugging it all around is noteworthy and will cause damage or stress the system.

Ok I get it. So I'll take the better safe the sorry approach, since that really does make perfect sense. 2700 pounds is a lot to begin with (my envisioned weight).

Well damn if only I could find a used good van for $25k or under before taxes, with no more than 25k or 30k miles. Nissan NV Cargo 2500 might something to watch. Might have to splurge on the 2500 promaster but my budget is really max $27k after taxes. The 2500 promasters seem to all go for used $8k higher than that. Luckily I have another year or so to figure this out.

I believe Bob Wells was successful and has many videos about his van. I would be concerned about buying something that will no longer be made or difficult to find mechanics to work on them. Keep looking and researching, eventually you will find one that works for you!

bullfrog said:

That is, quite the smartest thing I've heard today! Great way to test a potential vehicle for the weight we add in order to live on these wheels.

I have no idea how much it would cost but you could paint it. There are so many white cargo vans here not used for living in I don’t think you’d stick out too much. In fact I consider them far more stealthy than old vans and cars right now.
Despite the very tight lockdown SoCal is inundated with cargo vans, old vans, every kind of RV and some interesting self-builds. Maybe the weather makes it worthwhile. Maybe the fact the police and sheriff’s department which was defunded so they are really pissed off and are refusing to make anyone move. They used to be right on top of that stuff now they tell citizens that if they aren’t the owners of the property to mind their own business.
So to sum up my long post: 1. Cargo vans are everywhere and don’t stick out 2. Suddenly the sheriff and police are leaving nomads alone even though locals aren’t happy.