Anyone recommend a good value stealth van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drysailor said:
Crofter, when you say the Promaster is "easier to drive", do you mean just that the driving position is better, or is it actually more car-like?
The Promaster is front wheel drive. The van I bought is exactly the same length as my previous rear wheel drive vehicle, and is more maneuverable, turns on a dime, and easy to park in a city parking space. The drivers seat is over the front wheels, so not car-like. Most of the cars I have driven, seat is behind the engine and front wheels.   -crofter

bullfrog said:
....6 of the plastic 55 gallon drums. Rent or test drive a 1500 van for a day. Put the drums in the van and fill them with water, that should weigh a little over 2600 lbs....
Is anyone here carrying 55 gallon drums of water? 

I carry 15 gallons of water in smaller containers, so I don't get movement when I am driving. 

I understand your desire for a loaded test drive, but I think the 55 gallon water barrels could give a false idea of how stable or unstable the vehicke is.
-crofter

I have two 20 gallon drums and one 30 gallon and then I have seven 5 gallon containers. of course I don't travel with all of them full. I usually only travel with 10 gallons and will make a water run after I have set up camp. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I have two 20 gallon drums and one 30 gallon and then I have seven 5 gallon containers.  of course I don't travel with all of them full.  I usually only travel with 10 gallons and will make a water run after I have set up camp.  highdesertranger

Do better tires or anything hing else help the weight/performance, just out of curiosity? Like, I've seen some streamers really get these large good looking tires.

I only buy load range "E" made in America tires BF Goodrich, Goodyear, or Cooper. I am even going to put LT tires on my trailer. I have had bad experiences with the chinese ST tires. my trailer uses the same size tire as my dually so it's kinda a no brainer. I do not put radically large tires on my vehicles but I do put the highest load rated ones that are recommended for the vehicle. highdesertranger

gslanm said:
Honestly I see no stealth vans parked here in NY/NJ at least in the nearby towns I'm in. 

I think a low top "Chevy Express" type van that looks like if it's parked at night it could be workers who parked there, would fit in a whole lot more, but the problem is i'm really tall and would not be able to build something I'm happy with unless I have a high top with more space.

I guess that's my conundrum. That's I guess why I was wondering if there is a compromise somewhere because the Ram Promaster and Ford Transit Cargo both kind of stand out where I am. But I guess that's my best bet.

The "I'm really tall" and need something high is way overblown. I know this from a lifetime on boats. Headroom is WAY over rated. How often do you sleep standing up? How often do you use your computer standing up? Eat standing up a lot? Of course not. Though not very tall myself, I used to have the "I need standing headroom" to be comfortable mindset. For reasons too lengthy to go into here I've been living on a 22-foot sailboat for the last hree years. Sitting headroom only and never bothered me a bit. If I want to stand up I slide back the hatch and I have headroom to the stars.

I just bought a van today that is an ex-FBI spy van. It even has a periscope on top! You can't get anymore stealth than that. :)

Giggles said:
I just bought a van today that is an ex-FBI spy van.  It even has a periscope on top! You can't get anymore stealth than that. :)

I'm a little concerned that no one has picked up on load capacity here.  2700lbs in a 350/3500 is more than its design load.  2700 in a 150/1500 will likely put the suspension on its stops (if it has any).

I'm no expert so google van payload.  It's a complicated subject.  Payload is not what you can put in it.

IDK how you are getting such a heavy build. After I built out my PM 1500 the ride smoothed out some, and the gas mileage stayed the same. I have not weighed my rig so Im prob blowing smoke, but there is plenty of spring left in it.

However please note there is a low back axle, and deep snow will not be good. OK for about a foot of snow, but 18 inches of wet snow is too much & you will have to wait for the plow.
-crofter

@itsnotliving quote "2700 on a 1500..."
I think my build is around a thousand pounds plus the driver. I can guarantee that I do not weigh 1700 pounds. 

If you really need all that extra stuff, (1700 pounds of it),  I suggest installing a hitch and buying a boat. Throw the extra stuff that you really need in the boat and donate the rest. You will not miss that stuff when you are out fishing in your boat.

Bob W uses a Chevrolet van and pulls a cargo trailer  (Instead of the boat).
-crofter

^^^Very True! LOL! I have seen boats packed to the top and beyond with people sitting on top and life jackets in a compartment on the bottom with just a few inches of freeboard head down the ramp just like the way too many people building way to heavy trying to use way too much wood.

crofter said:
My comment was not for my own requirements.  The original poster seems to be under the impression that the stated 4000+lb payload is what he can put into a half-ton (150/1500) van.  I'm trying to point out that what can be put in a van should be considered when building out.

A lot of builds I see use 2xfours, solid wood countertops and MDF kitchen cabinets.  Weight seems to be ignored or poorly considered let alone understood.  Overloaded vans could be considered unsafe with insurance companies and likely to void a policy in the event of an accident.

Understanding payload would be a good idea in my ever so humble opinion.  Not that my opinions come from such a place.

==============================
@itsnotliving quote "2700 on a 1500..."
I think my build is around a thousand pounds plus the driver. I can guarantee that I do not weigh 1700 pounds. 

If you really need all that extra stuff, (1700 pounds of it),  I suggest installing a hitch and buying a boat. Throw the extra stuff that you really need in the boat and donate the rest. You will not miss that stuff when you are out fishing in your boat.

Bob W uses a Chevrolet van and pulls a cargo trailer  (Instead of the boat).
-crofter

^ ""Bob W uses a Chevrolet van and pulls a cargo trailer ""

Itsnotliving........You've been away too long....Bob gave up the trailer....he put a hi-top on his new van....soon he'll move into a Truck Camper

abnorm said:
Opps............Bob just announced on today's live-stream he's getting an Ambulance ...........
I cannot keep up with Bob's doings. I'm still being inspired by what he did ten years ago.
-crofter

At 70 years old this year I'm beginning to think it is time to let the younger folks do the projects and build outs! LOL!!!

Hehehe, I just need someone to loan me a billion gazillion bucks to buy one...

Cheers!

Pretty nifty toy. I saw a huge Earthroamer a few weeks ago. What a beast that was and it was CLEAN! In the desert it was CLEAN! How did they swing that?

Looked brand spanking new.

Latest posts