Attracted to Van Dwelling/Self Sufficiency, but...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndiMind

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For several years, I have been strongly attracted to the ideas of both van dwelling and self sufficiency.
To this point, I have done nothing expect watch some YT videos, some Netflix/Amazon videos & read some forum posts on this or related subjects.
There are some aspects of living in either of these ways that I would like your input on, to help me make decisions as to whether either would be viable for me.

I think I am more a less a total novice. I am in my 50s, with no concern about living on my own (I do now but in a neighborhood), although I have never lived "alone in the woods" or in any remote way before. I do wonder if I will cope or not, even without anything happening, if I should find myself needing another person's assistance in some way. Will the sounds of "rustling" and "breaking twigs" ever become just background noise?
I did camping as a child as a scout a few times but I remember very little about that.

In my entire life, I have never lived in anything but a sizable city (>250,000 people). I have never had a garden, know anything about growing or tending to plants or growing food, nor have I ever built anything or fixed anything that is not very simple.
I am not a technical-minded person (I've been tested a few times in my life) and other than the most basic of skills that need simple tools or not, I do not know how to live independently, or where to start to list the things I need to know about before considering whether I would be willing to learn them. I also am not, dare I say it, "a hard/harsh/rough/hardy" person and this attribute seems to me to be one central element in all the people I have read about or watched who live in either of these ways.

One aspect that I have thought about is sound insulation.
I seem to be quite sensitive to noise (human and natural) and I wonder about being disturbed from rain falling on the roof of a vehicle while I am sleeping, or trying to sleep, and from people/traffic noise outside the van when I am parked up. So, I wonder if sound insulation for a vehicle is something that is commonly done and if so, I would appreciate any pointers as to where to go and read about this aspect.
Or is it that I will soon/eventually get used to the sound of rain on the roof, wind, etc? I don't think I will ever get used to people noise though.

I also wonder about controlling the temperature in a vehicle. Is this possible and if so, I'd appreciate some pointers on how this is achieved. Some/many of the videos I have seen are from people who live around warm climates, where keeping warm is rarely an issue. I'd like to know if I would not be free to travel anywhere I wanted if temperature control is not possible, without great expense.

I'd also like to find out about how I keep a vehicle registered and insured without an address, plus needing an address for my driving license. I do not have anyone whose address I could use for this.

I'd like to know what you would recommend I do to begin my approach/journey to living independently in these ways. I prefer not to read books or online content, except for the most briefest/simplest of things, as I do not seem to learn well that way. It seems that I often do not "get" what someone has written or videoed, unless the content is a true the step-by-step type, or the subject is very simple/uncomplicated in which very little is likely to go wrong or it would not be understood by almost anyone. A live person/group situation is always much more preferable for me, as I always have questions and also, I learn very quick from doing.

I intend to sell my home in the near future, which has a substantial value (several hundred thousand $) to provide me with the means to buy a suitable vehicle and spend money on what might be needed, or buy a home with land. I do not intend to work again (I do not have a job now).

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies with their experience and advice/links, etc.

Welcome IndiMind to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

the sound of rain, wind, a mountain creek is music to me. I have no problem sleeping to it in fact my best sleep goes hand in hand with those sounds.

you would get a better response if you ask each of your questions in the appropriate sub forums.

highdesertranger

First: twigs snapping/leaves crunching means something/someone is moving around there. So you never want THAT to become "background noise"! I think you already know that [emoji6]

The human brain has a wondrous ability to adapt to different surroundings. On day one, all the new sights and sounds might feel jarring, but by day three it just feels normal. Trust your senses.

It sounds as if you're in "what-if" overload. I get that! What you need to do is to go into "step-by-step, little-by-little" mode. We only exist one moment at a time. The past is gone, and the future hasn't happened yet. There is only now. If you live in the now, experiencing life as it happens, then your life will flow and change according to the present conditions.

Of course you'll still need a domicile so you can get your driver's license https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/ and now you have all the information you need. Step by step is how we have to roll, because there isn't any other way! One baby step at a time.

The Dire Wolfess

The easy solution for your first concern is a set of ear plugs. They can be had for less than $5 or so, easy enough to find them, usually in the sporting goods department at any Walmart or similar store. Soon enough you won't need them as you grow accustomed to the "normal" noises of your surroundings.

Due to your lack of experience with camping and/or practicing a self-sufficient lifestyle I think you need to take much more time to learn about both  before making any decisions. Managing a small homestead and growing your own food requires skill, determination and the ability to make due with what you have and fix anything that breaks. Although some of this also fits van dwelling I think it is the easier option.

Are there any state or national parks near your house? You can rent a primitive cabin or yurt fairly inexpensively. Rent the most primitive so that you get a better experience. The supplies that you need are things that you already have in your house. Here's an example: http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/StayOvernight/CabinsandUniqueHouses/Pages/default.aspx

Take small steps. If you enjoy the cabin experience try camping at a public campground using your current vehicle and a tent. If that goes well move onto boondocking in the forest with no neighbors, restrooms, or stores close by. You'll find out quickly if this is something that is suitable for you. Good luck!

As others have said, take it one step at a time. Van dwelling really means you are sleeping in the van, but actually "living" outside. That's what the lifestyle is, bottom line. You have to be comfortable with that. I consider my van to basically be a "metal tent". If you need to live "inside", then you might consider an RV 30 feet or longer.