Anyone recommend a good value stealth van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gslanm

Reaction score
Am I right in targeting the Promaster 1500 or 2500 or the Ford Transit Cargo?

The main thing I need is total stealth. East Coast NJ is a nightmare. But I also need something under $25k cost with no more than 22k miles preferably. Put simply I don't have the time or extra money to risk major repairs. So by choosing something in the 20k mile range I'm hoping it's mechanically still very risk-less. Preferably high top and forward wheel drive due to snow here sometimes.

I am stumped because the stealth aspect seems harder for the white plain cargo vans at night but I'm tall and I don't have a ton of money so the two brands above seemed like my only choice pursuing a fleet vehicle on sale.

Any other recommendations from people who had trial/error on stealth and value? Any way to reduce taxes on used car purchases?

By the time you put any build in your van and your stuff, you will more than likely need a 2500 van so it won't be overloaded (dangerous). The Promaster is the only one that is front wheel drive.

B and C said:
By the time you put any build in your van and your stuff, you will more than likely need a 2500 van so it won't be overloaded (dangerous).  The Promaster is the only one that is front wheel drive.

When you say overloaded do you mean weight restrictions? So the 1500 is cheaper because it primarily handles less weight/load? Well that rains on my parade I was hoping it was just cheaper because it was less cool because it had 1000 less model number on it but everything else was identical... darn.

So I guess the only real question I have left is, is the promaster "stealth" enough in tough areas or do work vans with no labels stick out like a sore thumb at night, do you think?

there is no such thing as total stealth. anybody who wants to know you are living in your van, knows.

front wheel drive is a no go for me.

highdesertranger

The numbers mean weight carrying capacity. Half ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton (1500, 2500, 3500). Half tons are meant to move bulky stuff that doesn't weigh a lot and on up the line. The more heavy duty a vehicle is, is when you get bigger brakes, better suspension to handle the weight and all the good stuff.

I am not a fan of front wheel drive either.

highdesertranger said:
there is no such thing as total stealth.  anybody who wants to know you are living in your van,  knows.

front wheel drive is a no go for me.

highdesertranger

Due to wear and tear or mechanical reasons? My thesis was FWD was better than RWD only because east coast it snows and it rear wheel is less attractive in case.

Also yeah I pretty much know 100% stealth is impossible but I thought maybe certain vans are perceived as better stealth in general. Do you think adding a made-up label of a fictitious company "X company LLC" would help? Cost-wise, the Promaster or Ford Transit seem to be all I can afford. But I truly worry about their stealth here. I don't see many around to be honest, and cops are just so bad here and I need as much stealth as I can get, but I work and am familiar here I have no choice to move.

Thanks B&C i really had no clue 1500/2500 pertained to weight. So a moderate build with the basics would need 2500 I'm guessing.

Yes, 2500 for sure. A lot of people do really heavy builds using 2x4 lumber and such like they are building a house and those builds can overload a 2500 too.

I know FWD (front wheel drive) can get you going in snow/ice but you still have to stop. FWD doesn't help at all to stop. I used chains and RWD (rear wheel drive). More trouble but better control in my book.

gslanm said:
Am I right in targeting the Promaster 1500 or 2500 or the Ford Transit Cargo?
The main thing I need is total stealth. East Coast NJ is a nightmare . . .

What are common vehicles you see parked where you are planning to 'stealth'?  Where I am a Promaster/Transit parked overnight would be very noticeable, a high top more so.
Different places have different vehicles that are common.  Choose a vehicle that is common to the places you want to be to blend in.

IMO, people who don't know how to drive in snow or icy conditions think FWD is better.  You have more control with RWD, better yet with AWD or 4X4.

A 1500 will ride more like a car: softer suspension, designed to carry people comfortably.
A 2500/3500 ride will be stiff, suspension is designed to carry lots of weight.  They also have the frame, brakes and steering to handle a bigger load.

You should have actual snow tires for the winter ( studded is even better). I had an 89 GMC Safari van with snow tires and placed 320 lbs behind the 3rd seat. No problems in 10 years of Mass. winters. Bill C

Honestly I see no stealth vans parked here in NY/NJ at least in the nearby towns I'm in. 

I think a low top "Chevy Express" type van that looks like if it's parked at night it could be workers who parked there, would fit in a whole lot more, but the problem is i'm really tall and would not be able to build something I'm happy with unless I have a high top with more space.

I guess that's my conundrum. That's I guess why I was wondering if there is a compromise somewhere because the Ram Promaster and Ford Transit Cargo both kind of stand out where I am. But I guess that's my best bet.

gslanm said:
...something under $25k cost with no more than 22k miles preferably...

Have you been looking at used van ads to get a feel for prices?

MrNoodly said:
Have you been looking at used van ads to get a feel for prices?

More or less yeah. Mostly just at the Ram/Ford's and on cargurus or carfax. A good deal to me would be like $23k for 25k miles. 

Also does anyone know the weight capacity for a Ram Promaster 1500 vs 2500. Because if the Promaster 1500 holds 4000 lbs and the 2500 holds 4230 lbs (just 230 lbs more) then I would think I could just use less wood in my build and save $4k on the vehicle?

So I mean is 230 lbs or what not really that much more for van lifers to pay so much more for the van? 4000 lbs is 2 tons it seems. The 1500's are going for 3-4k cheaper and that's not including taxes as well. I can't imagine building over 3500 lbs to be honest as is, but is it that different?

Thanks guys.

"[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]The 2019 Ram ProMaster 2500 has payload rating of 4,230 pounds, which is 230 pounds more than the ProMaster 1500 and 450 pounds less than the ProMaster 3500.[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]May 30, 2019"[/font]

Don't forget you get more heavy duty brakes and components going up the scale and is why they cost more. Look at the bigger picture.

My Chevy 3500 has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,500 pounds (as stated on the door jamb). My loaded weight is ~9700 pounds. There are times I wish my brakes were bigger yet. You really have to look at the door jamb sticker to get the true number for each individual vehicle.

Makes sense. I guess the specs matter a lot too not just the weight.

Is it possible you can park/camp your van in a spot where a Promaster or Transit cargo van would not stick out and be so noticeable?

Eg, in commercial or industrial areas?

IMO, anyone living in a vehicle in a residential area, will be more noticed, and cause concern to some, than someone doing the same in a commercial or industrial area.

Cargo vans are commercial vehicles and as such fit better into commerical areas.

Consider putting a magnet sign on the van with a fake business name to make it look more like a commerical van. This video had good tips on that and more:

Stealth (you're only fooling yourself) Front wheel drive, forget it and go locker & don't drive like Speed Racer,  Once you build it out it'll have more weight in back, 
Those Euro stile vans got a better buildable interior,
But
 I predict lots of them in the rusted out unibody bone yard in 10 year's, There's nothing durable about unibody

riptorn said:
Stealth (you're only fooling yourself) Front wheel drive, forget it and go locker & don't drive like Speed Racer,  Once you build it out it'll have more weight in back, 
Those Euro stile vans got a better buildable interior,
But
 I predict lots of them in the rusted out unibody bone yard in 10 year's, There's nothing durable about unibody

I may not be stealth to all, but being stealth to 80-90% of people is mandatory where I am. I understand sometimes cops will know instantly or those versed will also know.

As for front wheel drive I don't understand the negatives to it? Rear wheel drive would be terrible in the winter and for a bulky van in general to have more control, on the East Coast? So why is front wheel so detested? Due to mechanical reasons?

@WayOutWest

It's what my plan is to park mostly in commercial areas. I think the industrial areas are too strictly enforced and anything out of the norm would be reported.

anybody who wants to know you are living in your vehicle knows. you can only fool the people who don't care.

"So why is front wheel so detested?"

it's a long answer I will try to shorten it up.

front wheel became popular because manufacturers could build cars cheaper therefore they could sell them cheaper therefore people bought a lot of them. they did not become popular because it's a better way to do it.

the whole traction is better thing is a fallacy. the reason people think rear wheel drive gets bad traction is because they try to drive trucks with no weight in the back and the vehicle slips around. well no duh. put some weight in that truck. plus traction enhancement add ons like posi or a locker can not be used on a FWD(Front Wheel Drive).

here is what I want you to do, crawl under a FWD and look at all the moving parts. all those parts wear out at must be repaired at some point. usually rebuilding the front end of a FWD to bring it back to as new condition cost more than the cars is worth. this alone makes FWD vehicles throw away cars, use once and throw away. I guess like everything else we buy nowadays.

highdesertranger

you know I left out a bunch of other negative stuff about FWD vehicles like towing, handling, working on them, build quality, unibody, etc.

highdesertranger

gslanm if you'd said, I bought or I have,  I'd have just smiled and thought, That's nice,
It's fine to blow off what I've said, but listen to what HDR said, 
Talk to your auto body & insurance friends for there view on owning a unibody
Also I live in the northern plans (on a gravel road) & unless theres 2ft of snow on top of the ice, I'm going shopping, And yes I have a factory elocker,

Latest posts