1986 Chevy Box Van Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruddhist

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forums here!  Nice to meet ya'll!!

I've been looking for a new van to use as a mobile office (driving around 10-20 miles each day and then also occasionally for road trips).

This vehicle is for sale by a dealer near me:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1228&acctid=8028

Are these decent vans?  Am I buying into a nightmare?  I really like mechanical things and would like to learn but have not really done any serious car repairs.

He's asking around $4300, which seems high given it sold for $900 about a month ago.  Thoughts on a price that's good and gives me budget for necessary repairs?

I am thinking about doing a pre-sale inspection.  Is that something people recommend for cars this low in value?

Thanks for any help!!

Hey!
I wouldn't be too afraid of a vehicles year. its more about the condition they are in. I picked up a 90 G30 that same body style from an auction in Portland. it was a Portland public school van and fleet maintained. it only had 107k miles when I got it and ive driven in 10k, some of that clear across the country. that van you posted would be an interesting build, I wuld for sure get it inspected by a mechanic. from the pics, the only thing that causes me major concern is that rotted portion of the windshield. water gets in and molds and the way to fix it is to remove the glass and weld metal. im not much of a welder but it seems like a large undertaking. I was on a tight budget when I bought my van, so I figured my best bet was a well maintained older vehicle. hope you get the van of your dreams!