Anyone living in a teardrop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexaMisty

Reaction score
Hi! I want to live in a little teardrop trailer, and I was wondering if there is anyone on here who lives in a teardrop? If so, if you'd like to share your experiences, if you like it or not, tips, or anything of that type, I'd appreciate that! Thank you  :)

Take a look at the Teardrop and Tiny Trailers site under the "foamies" forum. You will be thirty by the time you get through all the information there. LOL!!!

"You will be thirty ...".

Very clever, Mr Frog.

Not being able to stand up while cooking/getting dressed would have to be a consideration with a tiny trailer, or a lowtop van. Virtually no storage in one of those trailers. Make a similar shaped box in your living room, and move all of your stuff inside, and see how you like it for long term.

For a largely positive review of living in a teardrop, please check out the Interstellar Orchard website and YP channel by veteran nomad Becky Schade.

Opinions differ, but personally (at age 69), I would find it hard to have less than standing headroom. And 3 days of steady rain and wind would be a severe test of the teardrop's outdoor cooking arrangement.

I'd "camp" in one but not live in one. With something like that, you live outdoors and just sleep inside.

yeah we must remember most teardroppers are weekend warriors. that is the main reason they get away with using subpar components. highdesertranger

Most teardrops are smaller than an average bedroom so with cardboard and insulation foam you can build a pretend one there and try it out. Make sure to consider you will probably grow some in the next few years. Do you go or have you gone camping? Those skills as well as basic mechanical skills will serve you well so work on those as well.

For practice, get a similar sized tent in your backyard. Remember that you will need to do all cooking/sleeping/storing of supplies/restrooming/lounging, and bad weather vegging out inside of that tent.

I used to have a teardrop which I used to camp for up to a couple weeks at a time. Easy to tow but not very living friendly. Outside kitchen sucks in anything but perfect weather. Also what do you do with wet cloths and muddy boots when you go in for the night. Might not be so bad if you're 3 feet tall.

A teardrop might be ok if you have a good-sized tent to pitch next to it. Then you can have room to (about) stand up, to move around in, and a place to spread out while waiting for the bad weather to go away. A 4-man tent is typically 7'x9' and 54" tall. You can put a chair and small table in there and be relatively comfortable. That's what I used to do.

2d668ea0bb0653f07d89c286faaa4977.jpg

This one showed up in camp last year.

I hope that someday you will be able to make your hopes and plans become a reality even though this site has decided that you can't have a voice here as they live in fear of societies unjust and inept attempts to protect you may hurt their efforts to help others older than 17 years of age. Understand you can still view the information on this site but if you have questions about what you find I would suggest you approach your parents, teachers or older trusted friends to mentor you and find answers to the questions you may have as the age of 17 years old has been arbitrarily made a requirement for membership at this site they may become members and get your answers. Use this experience to learn that there are and will be many obstacles on the journey to individual freedom you must overcome. Be sure and give us an update when you turn 17 and let us know what we missed!

I don't think a teardrop.would work.Where would you put your big screen tv?Not to mention your recliner and hunting and fishing gear.Maybe they are named teardrops because people cry when trying to use one.

Don't worry, a teardrop can be used alongside a 10x10 popup canopy. You tuck the rear kitchen area under the canopy. In conditions where the wind is not too strong that expands your living space a considerable amount. You can even get sides that go on the canopy for more privacy and shade. Or you can get an easy to popup Clam shelter to use as your auxiliary living room. Plus of course you will have your tow vehicle for a comfy place to sit in.

We looked at a tear drop and a couple more smaller trailers. As a disabled veteran, crawling in and out would be hard on my back. We went with an Aliner. It's light, similar to your tear drop, but it pups up an you can stamp up in it with plenty of room. We bought a used 2016 model for $9,000. It can sleep 4, but we only plan to sleep 2. You can check it on if you google it. I think it will serve our needs just fine.

so ive been full time in a teardrop more or less. i got family, and spend some time with them, but im pretty much full time.
up first, its not a conventional teardrop, its was a foamy 55 inches wide by 10ft long. no kitchen. did my cooking on a single burner butane stove. 5 gallon protapotty and a 34 inch wide 4 inch foam matress, 140w solar and 750w inverter with 5kw diesel heater. and a skylight. about 1500 lbs heavy, thats close to a month worth of food and 2 weeks of water. normal load was closer to 1200.

i like small spaces, so it was fine for me. internet was a teathered cell through straight talk verizon. singnal was mostly okay.

all in all, i liked it more than i expected to. towing with a yaris, i was getting 24mpg, and topping out at 55 mph up the mountains. its not a house, its not a trailer. its backpacking with a hard tent. its 4ft tall, and you spend all you inside sitting down or on your knees. its the freedom that i love. 17 hour drives are not a big deal when you have a bed and toilet and food right behind you.

its equal parts terrible, and wonderful.
do have to say, i cant find anything on the market this size for this weight. right now im down in yuma az rebuilding it, im dropping the width to 48, and length to 11, and gaining about 3sq ft. also preliminary testing shows mpg at 60 mph closer to 30.
it was forced on me and i came to love it.

nemoskullforgothispassword said:
 right now im down in yuma az rebuilding it, im dropping the width to 48, and length to 11, and gaining about 3sq ft. also preliminary testing shows mpg at 60 mph closer to 30.
Sounds like it's working well for you, and allows you the freedom that you desire.

Question;  I understand going 1' longer for more room, but why go narrower down to 48" ?   Your Yaris is at 66" wide, so it can't be for the aerodynamic affects...just curious !