Anyone know where I could find an owner's manual.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyslife

Reaction score
owner's manual for a 1984 Fleetwood Terry Taurus 24' camper - I am having no luck with my search so if anyone has any tips on finding it, I would truly appreciate some insight.

Barbara

Hmm , lets try a different approach.
What are you trying to find out ?

[Mod's Note:  I would suggest you do not click on the link that is at the URL below.  My virus protection software said it was a "threat."]

docs.google.com/document/d/1ScH0-AbEXp2BOP2IWRt4_k9g7DlEuqPRZBjy3hx7vl8/edit

rvpopeye said:
Hmm , lets try a different approach.
What are you trying to find out ?

To start with, I would like the schematics for the electrical system - also, we know nothing about what we need to do to make sure the propane system and the water/tank systems are okay......basically, everything.

ccbreder said:
[Mod's Note:  I would suggest you do not click on the link that is at the URL below.  My virus protection software said it was a "threat."]

docs.google.com/document/d/1ScH0-AbEXp2BOP2IWRt4_k9g7DlEuqPRZBjy3hx7vl8/edit

okay - thank you MOD for the warning - will not click.

Most motorhome makers never even have a real manual that included a proper schematic. (Winebago seems to be the exception.) Production runs are short, mid-season minor changes happen, and various options are available. Mine came with an owners manual that gave a general idea, but included 3 options for the chassie, 2 for the fridge, etc. and some stuff was not as in the manual. You will just need to trace out the wiring as needed, and get the manuals on your appliences.

sunnyslife said:
To start with, I would like the schematics for the electrical system - also, we know nothing about what we need to do to make sure the propane system and the water/tank systems are okay......basically, everything.

it's more likely than not that the wiring schematics would NOT be in the owners manual. They don't intend for the owner to ever be able to play with the electrical system so there is nothing in the manual except showing you where to locate the fuse panel. A lot of the shop manuals don't have wiring schematics for the whole RV/trailer anyways because they can vary depending on when they were built in the production year.

The propane system, if you've no working knowledge of how propane systems works - I'd suggest watching some YouTube videos on RV propane systems. They all function basically the same way. If you've specific questions, ask here and someone(s) will chime in.

There are usually separate water systems. City water for when you're hooked up to a tap in a park or at your S&B - it's simple. There's a check valve to separate it from the fresh water holding tank and the 12V water pump that's in use when you're using you fresh water tank for supply.

The fresh water tank system is the one you fill from a hose and then use out of the tank. It probably needs to be disinfected if it's not been used in a while. Water runs from the tank drawn by the 12V pump in to the house water system including the hot water tank.

Always use drinking safe marked hoses for filling your water tank and when you're hooked up to a tap. The regular garden hoses are not. I always carried fresh water for drinking separately from the 'fresh water tank' which was used for cooking, dishes, showering but not for drinking just to be on the safe side. I also found my tummy to prefer a consistent water supply instead of switching constantly as I moved around.

Which by the way, don't try to fire up the hot water tank until you're sure that it's full of water.

The gray water tank fills from the bathroom/kitchen sinks and the shower. It's quite a simple system. When it's full you need to empty it, if it overfills it usually backs up in to the shower because it's the lowest..

The black water tank is dedicated to the toilet. I strongly recommend NEVER putting toilet paper in the toilet, use a covered waste basket instead. If the previous owners haven't taken care of the black water tank properly and it's got a lot of build  up in it, it's recommended that you put a few gallons of water in it, a couple of bags of ice cubes (by pouring them down the toilet), hook up the trailer and put it on the road for an hour and then dump it. You may have to repeat this a few times to get all the crud off the walls of the tank. I've also seen a trailer that was in use but stationary with a pile of shit reaching to the bottom of the toilet. This was caused by the users keeping the drain open while the trailer was in use. All the liquid ran out down the sewer leaving the solids to, well, solidify!! It took a power washer to loose that crap up!! If you're ever in an RV park DO NOT do this.

When you're dumping the holding tanks it's standard procedure to empty the black water tank first, then the gray water tank. This will flush the common lines at the dump valves and the sewer hose that you're using.

The valves for both the holding tanks usually need a little lubrication every once in a while - vasoline actually works quite well. When first testing your systems, particularly if the trailer hasn't been used in a while, pull gently on the valve handles - I've seen them stuck with crud before to the point where a strong armed approach meant replacing the valves... :dodgy: .

The only way to test all the systems is to put them in use and try them out. Get down on your hands and knees and check inside all the cabinets for leaks as well as underneath. Also, when you're using the fresh water tank/pump, if the pump keeps cycling on and off when you're not running water somewhere, it's a good indication that there is a leak somewhere. The pump keeps the system at a specific water pressure. It should only come on when you're using the water.

I hope this helps at least a little. I hope I didn't assume too little previous knowledge of RV/trailer systems so I took a complete newbie approach...you know -RV 101 instead of 201... :D

Good posts here so far..
I'll add a little.

Allow the black and grey tanks to fill at least 3/4 full before you dump , it will help with fully emptying. If you must dump early add water to near full.
The sensor guages in most RVs are notoriously inaccurate.
You can check the black by holding the flush valve open and using a flashlight DON'T DROP IT .

Some rigs will have electrical schematics but most NOPE!
#1 before you hook up to campground power LOOK at the outlets for signs of melting (if there is a lot ask for a different site without it) then check voltage and polarity (You can get a cheap meter nd a little plug in polarity tester with lights at Wally World or HD or Lowes and most other hardware stores. If you don't know how to use them ask and we'll get into that in detail. Also check voltage on a hot day when everybody is running AC. If it is lower than 108 , don't turn on yours , it can harm it !

12 volt: Once you locate the fuse box , turn everything on and pull the fuses one by one and write down what each shuts off.
Same deal with the 120volt breakers.
Generators and inverters (if you have them) are different according to MFG so ask about specific details..

Propane systems: There is a shut off at the tank(s)

Most of the time RV's come with the owner's manuals for the products inside. One for the fridge, stove, water pump, water heater, air conditioner, generator, etc etc. So you'd have to chase down the owner's manual from each manufacturer for every system in the RV and that could turn into a full time job if it's even possible. It can be hard to find the information on RV's that are just a few years old.

You got some good advice from others on the thread though so I think that will give you a solid start to answering your questions.

That site is not any sort of threat! My complete protection by Norton does not flag it. I have personally been on the site and have not had any problems. Mod has a defective detector. Shouldn't Mods identify themselves?

Have stopped looking for any wiring info for the 1993 six-pac and just use a tracer to read the wires and small labels to ID

It's not unusual for security software to have false positives, no worries , better than missing a bad one !

OK back to OP...
You can test propane systems for leaks easily with a spray bottle of soapy water and looking for bubbles at every connection and joint in the system.

Thank you all so very much - as suggested, we will just start using stuff and see how it goes.

my apology's to all. i didn't go far enough into that link. it being google docs. but, my norton stopped the actual link from opening, and i hope all stay away.
it isn't a good place.