Anyone have luck insuring a self build for full timing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOFCHAK

Reaction score
I'm starting a new van conversion soon, but this time instead of using my paid off 10+ year old Ford I'm considering a brand new van. With that said, I'm going to have a significant amount of money invested in this and want to make sure I dot all my I's insurance wise.

Has anyone had any luck in insuring a converted van for full time living? I've called a couple places and so far no dice! :( I'm still waiting to hear back from Miller Insurance Agency which appeared to be my best bet from posts I've read online.

For those that have had luck what facilities were required in your conversion? (Toilet, Sink, Stovetop, Etc?) I would really prefer to skip toilet and shower facilitates in the unit itself as I have those already in the small enclosed trailer I haul, but it's looking as if that may be a requirement for insurance.

We didn't build our motorhome ourselves but it is a one-of-a-kind custom build. Our biggest problem was getting it titled as a motorhome. It was made it Washington state and we had it titled in Pennsylvania. It had to be inspected to make sure everything was up to code before we could get it titled. We had to go to an agency that was used to dealing with custom vehicles - AAA had no idea how the forms should be filled out.

Getting insurance was fairly easy but we've dealt with the same company, Foremost, for years. All they wanted, besides the usual stuff, were pictures of the exterior and interior. I'm fairly sure they wanted the standard equipment - sleeping area, toilet, basic kitchen,etc. Give them a call. They're a good company.

I have my self-converted van insured with Progressive. Now, I don't know what magic words one might need to say because it was handled for me by the guy at Americas Mailbox in South Dakota. But when I had a fender bender, Progressive treated me very well, no problems, no raised eyebrows.

I had a Nationwide agency in Kentucky and a Allstate Agency in WV and they would not insure a self converted van or bus.
Some times an agent will insure you even when he is not supposed too and then if you had a claim it would almost surely be paid.

The people who convert school buses into MHs must run into this problem all the time. Ask about it over on one of their forums and I'm sure you'll get plenty of info.

Regards
John

Thanks for the replies!

After speaking with 5 different agents I've come to conclusion of what I need to do. I'd prefer not to post the details here, but lets just say there are a few immovable stumbling blocks to insuring a self build van as an RV. Fortunately, I think I can walk around them. :D

Unless you buy some kind of specialty vehicle insurance with a full appraisal and at a steep cost, no Standard insurance company is going to pay you fo allr the extras that you put into your rig should it gets wrecked, vandalized, stolen, etc.

If it was a $1500 van and you put $5000 worth of addons into it; like a full kitchen, bathroom, etc., and you wreck it....you're policy is only going to pay you $1500 minus depreciation for mileage, years, etc. If it's the other driver's fault, then their carrier will only pay you the same $1500.

Most companies like Progressive, Allstate, etc. won't even touch it. If you call over the phone and add this $1500 cargo van with a ton of addons, so the agent never saw it; then it's just rated as a $1500 cargo van (thus the low rates). If the Agent saw it first, he may say "no, too custom". Or have you sign a bunch of waivers and clauses before biding coverage.

The first thing that an adjuster will do when you balk at them for lowballing your rig's value is to do an inquiry with the Dept of Motor Vehicle to see how much you claimed the purchasing price of the vehicle was when you registered it. Most people will lie and put a lower or much lower value to avoid the full tax. Some States charges 4-7% taxes every year for each vehicle. If you tell the Adjuster that you lied to the DMV, then that's admitting to a felony.

I use Erie, their here in NC, i told my agent i bought a 92 gmc, all he asked was how much travelling does it do, Isaid just weekend trips. He was 'sure ok,' and 10 minutes later it was all done, and yes when i go full time that will change of course. but it think the magic here was that i didnt elaborate, and he didnt ask.

To change your title from passenger van to rv check with your state of residence. South Dakota will send you a form that can be filled out and sent in. I understand Arizona is not too difficult either. Insurance companies are particularly hard on full time vandwellers. I advise everyone who asks me to cont act Ms Bobby at Escapees Bancorp South - another vandwelling couple insured their van tow utility trailer and contents as full timers. They are happy.