Full Timing Insurance - UK

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking to live in a van full time and I'm looking at insurance options. I'm not a fan of lying to the insurers (more because of resulting anxiety levels than any moral superiority), so I'm hoping to get properly covered for living in the vehicle.

There is some info out there but a lot is not up to date, so I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has current experience of getting this type of insurance in the UK. I will be registered to an address and on the electoral roll there (relevant for some companies). This is what I've discovered so far:

Comfort Insurance - does provide "Full Timing" insurance but only purpose built motor homes, not private conversions (unfortunately I will have the latter)
Adrian Flux - has provided me a quote, but for over £1200 in with a £950 excess - hoping I can improve on this
Sterling - has a page which claims they provide this cover, but the guy on the phone couldn't give me a price and says he'll have to get back to me in a few days

If anyone knows any other companies I can try or any other angles to think about I'd really appreciate it, thank you!

Hi everyone, looking to live in a van full time and I'm looking at insurance options. I'm not a fan of lying to the insurers

There is some info out there but a lot is not up to date, so I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has current experience of getting this type of insurance in the UK.
If anyone knows any other companies I can try or any other angles to think about I'd really appreciate it, thank you!
Welcome to the forum! Yes, you should check other Angles. Bigbear67 is in the UK and he may have some good info for you (link to his intro thread below):

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/hi-all.39852/

Last edited:
Great thanks!
Hi junkman, welcome to the forum. I'm in west Yorkshire, anywhere near you?
The fulltime insurance thing has been brought up on another forum I'm a member of, I'll try to find the thread & get you some info if I can. What are you driving bud, & did you convert it yourself? Just curious, feel free to tell me I'm being nosey....🐻😉👍IMG_20210914_183529.jpg
This is my ride by the way, 5.5tonner ex welfare bus Iveco. Double fixed bed, log burner & vintage caravan cooker.
Hope the day finds you well....

Hey BigBear, thanks for chipping in (saved me the bother of DMing you!). I'm based in Brighton, not driving anything yet - I was looking at a Merc Sprinter when I wrote the OP but didn't go for it. I may end up with a purpose-built camper (more spacious, more full-timing insurance options) or a conversion (more stealth!). Just shopping around with a view to getting off the rental treadmill for a while (or maybe for good!).

Your rig is awesome, I'll want something more at the larger end of 3.5 tons. I did have a downplated Iveco Daily but it was a turkey, bought in haste. I bailed on it after 6 months. That thread would be super helpful, thank you

I thought about a 3.5 tonner, but as I have the grandfather rights to 7.5t it made sense yo go bigger, no extra outlay, more space & cheaper road tax is a bonus. My bus runs the 3litre Iveco lump with timing chain instead of belt, not been any bother yet.
You may be interested in another forum I'm a member of too, some fulltimers there as well as a good mix of people, DM me if you're interested & I'll give you details. Still looking for the thread I mentioned, if I don't find it soon I'll ask if anyone knows where to look.