Anyone have Experience with Nest Smoke Detector?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woltz

Reaction score
The Protect Wired Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector from Nest. It's a little high tech and a lot more expensive than the $7.00 detectors at any hardware store, but it has features I want. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with it and if so, have you had any problems with it in the past?

I'm not the best cook. I produce A LOT of steam and smoke. I don't have to unplug this every time I cook and then plug it back in. Just press the button. And if it takes to much power wired, I'll use a battery version.

cook outside. you really don't want to fill your house with either smoke or steam. highdesertranger

gsfish said:
What would those wanted features be? The need for constant 120vac would be a negative feature in a vehicle.
https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/install-and-explore/

Guy

The Nest does seem to have some cool features, control from your phone and alerts when you're away from the vehicle.  There is a battery operated version (9 AAA) which would probably run for years.  The wired version is actually 5V, 0.2A.  It seems like an easy modification to add a 12V/5V converter for a few dollars and run it on the house batteries.

My thought exactly! ^^^^

These units need to connect via WiFi to a router to the internet in order for you to access it from any portable cellular device.
In other words, a full time internet connection is a must have.

The same connectivity pattern applies for "smart" thermostats, personal weather stations, etc.

Dave