Anybody try cleaning up around their site B4 they sleep?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy

Geauxfrugal
Reaction score
I use to visit RTRNOLA rubber tramp row in NOLA down by Spain street. When I did I carried my paw paw getters AKA gopher I used it to pick up trash when I was there My logic was if the people that visited there treated it like home then the people that have the houses may see you more as a neighbor than a stranger. Can't hurt if you improve the area. 

Also if there is a crime committed there guess what the police get only fresh evidence not a bunch of stuff that may or may not be related to the criminal. Criminals are pretty stupid lazy people well the ones that commit street crimes usually are. They litter they don't do what they should, people that clean up are usually not associated with any other crime. He that is faithful in what is least will be faithful in what is grand.

I was a C store clerk they trained me how to be robbed and  they told me that keeping the store clean kept away crooks or robbers. I thought how odd they would not care if the place was clean they would only care that you had money to give them.  Then one day I watched them do an investigation into a murder at a C store. I finally found out EXACTLY why they want you to clean up all the time, Sweep wipe etc. It decreases the time spent on an investigation and they can get the store open quicker. When they have a murder in the C store they dust for prints the clean the store in a way the most part they go shoulder to shoulder with flashlights and they walk the entire parking lot looking for evidence or potential evidence. Cleaner your store is the more chance they have at catching the robber/murder and the sooner they can let the store reopen.

Well , THAT puts a whole new slant on it !

I do pick up litter in the area I park whether it's in a parking lot , campground or out in the middle of (previously visited by the uncaring/clueless) nowhere.

I usually boondock and clean up when I arrive. Although there's not much I can do about abandoned sofas or trees some bozos pulled down with their truck and half burned -- except pick a different spot. A clean boondocking site helps keep rangers friendly.

rvpopeye said:
Use to be people thought highly of people that wore a suit and dressed very well. Difficult to pull off when you are OTR (over the road) I did know a trucker that carried a suit for funerals he lived out his truck was an owner operator. Rent an apartment as a trucker you might get to stay there 3-5 days a month unless you are injured then you are going to need that place to live. What I mean to say is people use to try and judge the character of a person on how they dressed and that is hard to pull off OTR is all. So next best thing you could do is clean up some. Thanks for improving the image of the RTR group I rather call them OTR because to call them tramps is just not fitting. The group was so well behaved and people were just polite well mannered folks. Not homeless tramps but people that are just OTR over the road they are just away for a while.

I just wish I had bought a van and lived from it rather than return to Louisiana . That was 17 years ago.

Might want to be careful cleaning up if you're at Lake Meade. While we were there, I was raking up all the broken glass around the rv, and got a visit from the ranger. I tried to tell him I wasn't altering the campsite in any way, just trying to get rid of the broken glass. Didn't matter to him, he just said don't do it, you cannot alter the site in any manner.  I just moved to a different (and cleaner) site. Lesson learned... go figure

Attachments

• ranger.JPG
    ranger.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 21
squatting dog that is unbelievable. I take that back I believe it. to bad they weren't on top of it when the glass was getting broken. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
squatting dog that is unbelievable.  I take that back I believe it.  to bad they weren't on top of it when the glass was getting broken.   highdesertranger

1. It was 'too' inviting w/o the broken glass, which increased site traffic.
2. He might have been responsible for breaking the glass (and he does not want to do it again.)

If that's around Sin City, I could see it after watching "Cops."

If the glass is of an old age it's considered historical artifacts. Personally I'll always police my area and leave it better than when I arrived.

TMG51 said:
Burn it the rest of the way!

There was afire ban. Besides, 15 feet of trunk would've taken longer to burn than I wanted to stay.

I've cleaned up after some parties (I didn't attend any, just tried to camp there after they were over) at Lake Meade, I never imagined it would be a problem. When I was frequenting the area I even started carrying compactor bags with me for the broken glass. They're much thicker than kitchen bags but still a smaller size. The rangers there are a bit strange - I had one tell me I couldn't camp on the wash and had to be at a marked campsite. I told him there were no marked campsites in Boxcar cove, because there aren't, so he just told me I couldn't be where I was.

I do tend to clean up around me if for no other reason than I don't want people to think it's my trash.

I pick up after people all the time for no other reason except it's the right thing to do. However, for sleeping over, I am used to the city rules by: come late, leave early, and don't do anything to stand out.

Camping and boondocking are different for different places at different times. Statistically, always adhering to the city rules seems safest to avoid any conflicts with the local law: it's different for every LEO for every one of their moods too. Stuff changes much quicker than hard rules.

In fact, camp grounds seem like a bargain for a measure of safety and lease agreements. It gets quite complicated recording, monitoring, and planning camp sites though (Bob never told us how to do that in detail yet??) Except for transition periods in between, boondocking is a tough way to live w/o sound sleep. ymmv.

If the spot is so bad that I feel compelled to clean up BEFORE my stay, I just find somewhere else to park. Does that make me a bad person? Cleaning my own mess goes without saying.

Latest posts