any kayakers here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
It's dawning on me that Florida is probably the only state in the Union where you're ~always within day-trip distance of a reasonably affordable kayak rental on reasonably quiet water. And boy did I get addicted. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my kayaking fix outside of Florida.

Does anyone here have experience -- either owning your own, or renting from a place that's not right on the water and doesn't deliver -- with transporting a kayak yourself? How hard is it to get it up onto the roof of a vehicle? to attach it securely? do you need to have a roof rack?

Also, does anyone have any favorite places for affordable/non-whitewater kayak or canoe rentals outside of Florida? (The only two I can add to the pot are Quiet Waters Paddling in Bernalillo, NM, just north of Albuquerque, and whoever is operating the concession on Lake Martin just outside Lafayette, LA. Also, Pack and Paddle in Lafayette offers really nice group tours, or used to.)

I think my ideal fantasy state -- at least for continental USA -- would be New Mexico everything else + Florida rivers.

ME! raises hand.

own kayaks. hubby has bigger decked out fishing kayak and I got an Ocean Kayak for ocean and all and kiddo has a less than usual off the rack athletic store kayak but big enough her little dog goes on board with her.

no clue on rental. always owned.

have a toyhauler just for that reason to bring our 3 big kayaks with us on all trips that are water based and we do water camps only so...they come all the time :)

I researched blow up kayaks to bring, researched those portable but break down kayaks and so much kayak research but in the end, being an rv on the road for our travels, we went toyhauler. Now if a van ya gotta think portable BUT if you can rig out the van to carry an all in real kayak then do that. they are best and get size and more 'for what you wanna do in it' and you are set.

research how to put a kayak on a van and you got tons of options that could be side, or back attach or IF YOUR kayak is maybe only 12 ft you can truly stick the darn thing in your van so? how you manuever and how you live on the road will show you tons of options how to haul a kayak. ain't hard truly :) hope this gives ya enough advice to help?
if a kayaker you will find what suits you best and bring that thing with ya at all times....like I researched and landed on how important my kayak was to me and I put it WAY UP on the priority list :) So once you know how important it is to you on the road, you fall into that what are ya gonna do to make it work for you as you want!

I accepted an invitation to kayak across Lake Arlington, Texas and back at sunset with some others, just to enjoy the beauty of that time of day and then night. That was my only Kayak experience ever. I didn't know until then that I had so many "old person" problems. (1) My arms weren't strong enough to lift the Kayak by myself. (2) Even carrying one end of it was a strain on my back. (3) Another Kayak used a rope to pull me partway across the lake because my paddling was too slow. (4) After our picnic, I couldn't stand up from the blanket on the sand by myself because there was nothing around to pull myself up by. (5) I couldn't stand up in the water near shore, repeatedly falling over into the water due to seemingly no sense of balance and the waves confusing me as to exactly what direction is down, so I had to hold onto someone when traveling between Kayak and shore, in both directions.

Until that experience, I had no idea I'd become so incapable of some of the most simple and natural things people do. And everyone talked to me in "baby talk" voices the whole time. I didn't like the baby talk -- don't know the reason for the baby talk -- but I didn't say anything about it as doing so would just make them feel bad. But what an experience that trip was! I love the water and would love to do it again, but won't because I don't want to burden others. Again I'll say, I had no idea I was so incompetent to do simple things; didn't even know my sense of balance was gone.

Last edited:
kayaking longer trips is not for those who can't do it and ya think, I am sitting down and just paddling but darn it ain't just that now is it :)

I got sit on top. Had the 'sit in' type and hated it due to not easy to get in and out and not easy to 'use the thing' when I wanted to 'move here and there' easily so SIT ON TOP is way better kayak for anyone, mostly being if you want BIG rapids SIT IN is more useful for safety, you want more pleasure and use for all things, SIT ON TOP means a ton of diff on use and fun.

also before ya buy, how it tracks in water is key. you work way less hard then with a 'good built kayak' vs. a piece of crap that won't track straight...........so everyone read up on tracking. Why I went Ocean. Ocean kayaks track so easy and straight with every pull of the paddle so....I required that for in the ocean.

I remember we didn't use them for a bit when we went more inland camping and when I brought it out again, damn I thought my arms were gonna fall off HAHA and I kayak all the time LOL

Well I live most of the time on the Colorado River behind Glen Canyon Dam which forms a 180 some mile Lake Powell. Moab Utah on the north end where the Green and Dirty Devil Rivers join in and Antelope Canyon on the dam end with Bullfrog where I live in the middle. Kayaks are easy to rent or buy if you can find someplace with people. I am 70 years old and still have a couple I found in the trash that I repaired. A 14' long by 30" wide single seat fishing kayak that paddles easy and slips through the water is my favorite. I mounted dolly wheels on the top side at the rear so I can flip it and roll it to the end of my Samurai where I have a home made roller rear rack I can rest one end on and pick up the other end and roll/slide it onto the roof. It weighs around 85 pounds so you need to be able to lift 45 pounds over your head to get it on the rack. I'm still able to do that but not so often any more. LOL!!! I have looked at petal kayaks but I had a jet ski once and I'm holding out for one of those. More than happy to let you use one of mine or borrow one you can use if you get in the area. Look at Wayneswords.com in the forums for others kayaks experience on Lake Powell.

yea where I go camping a jet ski mostly is never allowed in the COEs and more I do but if ya can, damn I would do a jet ski in a heartbeat for my water fun but how we travel, kayaks can do all, the jet ski is severely limited. Plus I can't get 3 of them in the toyhauler LOL as we need to travel for us. and then I want the exercise vs. the handle throttle to do it for me but that is being younger age, but yea, a jt ski might have a definite future in our lives :) love them actually but not now full time.

I didn't know until then that I had so many "old person" problems.
I hear that! I had a taste of it last week on my ultra-newbie car-camping shakedown cruise. Like gosh when did my joints stop working and what's this princess-and-the-pea stuff with the mattress??? I was pretty glad there was no one there to watch. ... As for the baby talk, that's a reflection on them not you. Some people do go out of their way to make the experience pleasant for newcomers. The main tour guide I went with when I lived in Florida specialized in old people -- >1/2 his clients were from The Villages (a pretty lucrative market actually) -- and he always had a tow rope, and was never in a hurry. There's even such a thing as "adaptive kayaking." ... I think it'd be worth trying again and just being more picky about who you go with. Some people love to share. The better their own skills, the easier it is for them to relax around someone who's new to it.
seemingly no sense of balance and the waves confusing me as to exactly what direction is down
I would definitely say check this balance issue out in other environments before you get too discouraged about it. For one thing, I've never had to get in and out of a kayak in water with waves, let alone the first time. For another, it might be a super-specific issue and there might be 1000 things you can do that wouldn't set that off. (I get very disoriented by an escalator that's NOT moving, for some reason, and really have to grab onto the rail and think about what I'm doing, but I think I've been that way all my life.) It's tough being old and trying to guess whether something is temporary/minor or you're stuck with it b/c aging. Don't let that one experience throw you off!
More than happy to let you use one of mine or borrow one you can use if you get in the area.
Thank you!!!!!! And the rig you describe sounds much better than having to lift the whole thing.
ya think, I am sitting down and just paddling but darn it ain't just that now is it
How true! It's a leg workout too, I can't quite figure out why -- that part never hits me until I get out and try to stand up.

Many thanks all.

Last edited:
We are trying to get roof rack so we can take our kayaks with us this up-and-coming trip. But still need to figure out how to get them up on the roof once it is in place. And then how to get them down again. Without breaking either one of us. Then I have to figure out how to get the paddles and life jackets and stuff to fit in the van. Whatever it is, it is worth it to me. I have a set of racks that go on the roof rack of our jeep. Hopefully they will work on the van too.
I love to paddle on lakes and quiet waters. Not so much on oceans and fast-moving rivers...
Doggy doesn't much like it when we paddle 'cause he hates it when we are out on water and he has to sometimes be in the van.... I have tried a few things to get him out in water but

I've seen dogs on kayaks. Must have been some pretty mellow dogs ...

We are trying to get roof rack so we can take our kayaks with us this up-and-coming trip. But still need to figure out how to get them up on the roof once it is in place. And then how to get them down again. Without breaking either one of us. Then I have to figure out how to get the paddles and life jackets and stuff to fit in the van. Whatever it is, it is worth it to me. I have a set of racks that go on the roof rack of our jeep. Hopefully they will work on the van too.
I love to paddle on lakes and quiet waters. Not so much on oceans and fast-moving rivers...
Doggy doesn't much like it when we paddle 'cause he hates it when we are out on water and he has to sometimes be in the van.... I have tried a few things to get him out in water but
Could this VIDEO show the best answer?

...for your dogs as well :giggle:
Kayak.jpg

Last edited:
You see all sorts of strange things coming down river from the rapids. One winter I help land a raft the guy had been on for several days. His dog not only had a life jacket but a dry suit made from a tractor inner tube. Neither one of them seemed to notice it was well below freezing as they tried to grab the ropes frozen to the deck to tie up!

I travel to Baja California, Mexico to kayak. There are rentals all over there as it is a major activity on the bays and sea of Cortez. Currently I am on Elephant Butte Lake in New Mexico waiting for the wind to die down so I can Kayak here. I carry an Advanced Elements inflatable kayak that I picked up slightly used. I also have Wilderness Systems 10 hard kayak. If you are paddling rivers, short is better for maneuverability. On the ocean or slow moving water, longer is better for tracking. I always recommend buying used kayaks as like bicycles, people buy them, they sit for awhile and then people sell them on Craigs List for cheap. Plus paddles are usually included as is other gear.
I carry my inflatable inside my rig. The hard shell is strapped with cam straps on my ladder on the back of the vehicle. Eventually I will get racks for the top.
I prefer sit on top kayaks as I don’t do whitewater anymore. I also insist on trying out a kayak on the water just to make sure there are no leaks or problems. Call it a sea trial if you will.
I was also a white water guide and paddler when I was younger, now I like to cruise or fish from a kayak.

So flaggit how do you like Elephant Butte for kayaking? I've been wondering about that.

JDub yeah well Florida! kayaking heaven. Before, I sort of liked paddling, then I moved there and got addicted. I now realize that I was spoiled rotten with all the different opportunities -- other places, including watery places, don't necessarily have that.

Some of those parks on the Panhandle look gorgeous and I regret that I never managed to see them before I left.

So flaggit how do you like Elephant Butte for kayaking? I've been wondering about that.

JDub yeah well Florida! kayaking heaven. Before, I sort of liked paddling, then I moved there and got addicted. I now realize that I was spoiled rotten with all the different opportunities -- other places, including watery places, don't necessarily have that.

Some of those parks on the Panhandle look gorgeous and I regret that I never managed to see them before I left.
When there is no wind, it’s great except for weekends when all these powerboaters show up. Then it’s best to do a float trip below the dam where you can find water.

I've seen dogs on kayaks. Must have been some pretty mellow dogs ...
My kid and her little dog on the kayak at the state park. Our little dog kayaks everywhere with us :) One reason we bought her the kayak she has, it had to 'have dog room' too LOL if you click the pic you can see it bigger and yes he is wearing a little yellow lifejacket HA

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_111304048.jpg
    IMG_20160910_111304048.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 17
I have a folding Kayak that allows me to keep it in the truck. No exactly small but easier to transport than on the roof. It is a Feathercraft out of Vancouver BC. They are not in business anymore. These are not the cheap inflatable variety. They are often more expensive than regular kayaks. They have an inner skeleton with a shell stretched over it. Similar to a traditional Inuit Kayak.

Folbot is a brand I recall that are still available.

oh notice in above dog and kid pic, hubby was taking pic from his fishing kayak and doggie was 'all ready' to jump onto his kayak. yes the dog jumps from kayak to kayak when out and about :)

It's dawning on me that Florida is probably the only state in the Union where you're ~always within day-trip distance of a reasonably affordable kayak rental on reasonably quiet water. And boy did I get addicted. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my kayaking fix outside of Florida.

Does anyone here have experience -- either owning your own, or renting from a place that's not right on the water and doesn't deliver -- with transporting a kayak yourself? How hard is it to get it up onto the roof of a vehicle? to attach it securely? do you need to have a roof rack?

Also, does anyone have any favorite places for affordable/non-whitewater kayak or canoe rentals outside of Florida? (The only two I can add to the pot are Quiet Waters Paddling in Bernalillo, NM, just north of Albuquerque, and whoever is operating the concession on Lake Martin just outside Lafayette, LA. Also, Pack and Paddle in Lafayette offers really nice group tours, or used to.)

I think my ideal fantasy state -- at least for continental USA -- would be New Mexico everything else + Florida rivers.
Our toy-hauler interior -- 7w x 16 l x 7h.
We built our cedar-strip kayaks to fit inside... leaving the photovoltaic unobstructed.