Anxiety and the RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Tortuga

Reaction score
I've been in the Quartzsite area for a few weeks now.  I drove through town today on the way to Queens Canyon.  Seeing the crowd and knowing that it will only grow really makes me feel a lot of anxiety about attending.  
I will go. I need to learn and network, but I love peace and quiet and had to get away from the crowds for a couple of weeks before the RTR.  Where I am now I am surrounded by beauty and can't see or hear another person.  It is bliss!  
Does anyone else feel nervous/anxious about the crowd expected at the RTR this year?  If so how are you coping with it?

I'm more nervous about the cold drive out, leaving the 4th and the temps mean I'll be taking the southernmost route. 2000 miles is a long way to drive

It’s a very big desert... camp remotely and drive to the RTR for the daily activities.. no need to camp at RTR Headquarters....

sreesekelley said:
I'm more nervous about the cold drive out, leaving the 4th and the temps mean I'll be taking the southernmost route.    2000 miles is a long way to drive

Just remember, The closer you get, the warmer it gets!

Deal Breaker said:
It’s a very big desert... camp remotely and drive to the RTR for the daily activities.. no need to camp at RTR Headquarters....

That sound's easy enough but I am a van dweller.  I would have to strike and then setup camp everyday.  I think I will have to find a happy medium.

La Tortuga said:
That sound's easy enough but I am a van dweller.  I would have to strike and then setup camp everyday.  I think I will have to find a happy medium.

Next time you're there take a look around, see any empty spots a five or ten minute walk away?   Stay there & walk to the main camp when you want to.

What I noticed last year is that the washes that you can get to from where you turn into the Rtr site filled up pretty well. But the washes further north or south had some Rtr folks who walked over.

I can understand, the thought that this year could be double the people gives me a weird feeling and I have no explanation at all why, it doesn't make sense. But I'm gonna keep and open mind. I want to me new people and have new experiences. Would like to make more road friends to meet up with along the way.

I also suffer from group anxiety.  I have been forcing myself to get out one night a week with a small group (12-16 peeps). The first time, it took me two days to get over it. The second time it took only one day to get back to normal.  After that, no problem and I'm enjoying it.  I went with a friend and she was very helpful.

As for RTR, I'm just not going.  A group that large -- no way!!  Can't get far enough away.  *shiver*.

Stargazer said:
As for RTR, I'm just not going.  A group that large -- no way!!  Can't get far enough away.  *shiver*.

I have a friend from the RTR two years back, it got to be too much for him. He went away for a couple of days to be by himself, then he came back.  It's not hard to do as the area is huge.

I saw that there's a Meditation Camp (from the Gatherings Section on the Forums). This might be something to consider--maybe it could offer the best of both worlds...being around people, but also offering an ability to 'calm down' from sensory overload.

I'm nervous ... I'm an early riser with an old dog that goes out frequently, I'm worried about closing my van doors at 4:30 am after she goes out (old van hard to close doors) ... I'm coping by just getting there and hoping that I can find a place close to the "action" and yet far enough away that I don't feel claustrophobic or disturb others.  I'm not arriving until the 10th so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  Sucking up the nerves is all I can do ...

Deal Breaker said:
good idea!

RV-Hopeful said:
I'm nervous ... I'm an early riser with an old dog that goes out frequently, I'm worried about closing my van doors at 4:30 am after she goes out (old van hard to close doors) ... I'm coping by just getting there and hoping that I can find a place close to the "action" and yet far enough away that I don't feel claustrophobic or disturb others.  I'm not arriving until the 10th so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  Sucking up the nerves is all I can do ...

No one is going to care if you need to slam van doors at 4th in the morning. Also, don't worry about walking out alone at night with your dog.  I used to take my little poodle cricket out at all hours at the rtr. We're good people.

Red

RV hopeful,
I agree with Red dragonflyinthesky, it's okay if you need to make necessary door slamming noise. My boy dog usually wants to go outside at least once a night, so I hear you.
And yes, we're good people! We've all got nerves and/or excitement.
Looking forward to meeting you,
Aloha