Another Intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USNvet

Reaction score
I found this forum after watching many of Bob's Youtube videos! I'm new to RV travelling/dwelling, or should I say just starting out again after a loooong lapse of owning a 63 Shasta travel trailer decades ago. I now have a Sprinter Long/Tall cargo hauler I'm just starting to turn into a dry camp RV. It won't be a full time dwelling, but will be used for some extended (I'm retired) vacations. It also happens to be my daily driver!

As an experience gathering run, I just returned from a 3 week Quartzsite trip. I had not heard of the RTR until yesterday, but turns out I arrived about the time it ended, so I missed some of the crowds. This trip was a spur of the moment decision after being invited by friends to tag along. I went from an empty cargo van to a hasty RV in two weeks, with the addition of a military surplus field hospital bed, Dometic 12/120v refrigerator/freezer, Sportsman 1800/2200 watt duel fuel generator, 135 amp hr deep cycle from Walmart, propane stove, 47 gallon water tank scavenged from an old class C, and a Harbor Freight 5' wood work bench to serve as my kitchen table!

Everything worked well, but solar is definately in my future. The roof has room for two 40" X 67" panels, or a little larger if I custom build my own.

another Bob

Welcome to the CRVL forums Bob and thank you for your service!

Good luck on your new adventure...

Welcome another Bob to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome, Bob.

I'm new here also.

I nearly went with a Sprinter van until I killed my everyday vehicle. I ended up with a tow-behind trailer (pop-up), for now.

Donna

That’s what I have right now too, Donna, BUT I am rigging out my Dodge Journey for at least an overnight camper as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to your new home away from home. I've only been here for about a month. Also by running across Bob "The other Bob" vids. I'm a nomad for my work in a 5th wheel TT. I'm in transition to a Shuttle Bus and simpler living. As a Patriot and grandson of a WWII Navy Veteran I too am honored to meet you. David

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and veteran comments. My USN service was ages ago, back in the late 60's.

ratfink56 said:
Welcome. Thanks for mentioning the bed. Might work in my build.

These beds are nicely sized at about 30" wide by 82" long. I paid around $100 with shipping from Sportsman's Guide for a new in the box bed last year. They are out of stock now, but may be available at other surplus dealers, or ebay. Of course I left off the I.V. hangers, tray and elevating slides. My plan is to insulate and panel my van's walls, then attach the bed so it can be swung up against the wall during the day after folding up the legs.

Google "military surplus field hospital bed" for pics, and a link to Sportsmansguide for a short description and video. I'd provide a direct link, but the rules here say I need 10 posts first!

One drawback to these beds is that they are somewhat noisy. The nylon is stretched drum tight around the steel frame, and when you roll over during sleep, the nylon doesn't slip easily on the tubing. A little silicone spray should help lubricate the friction.

Latest posts