Another EV van on the way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool and low priced for an EV. I did not see any solar on the roof.
-crofter

Not being an engineer or even a very mechanical person. I have often wondered why EV’s don’t have a generator on each turning wheel. I mean the wheel is turning so it can generate some electricity. I’m not talking about perpetual motion but adding to the battery in someway rather than wasting the turning of those wheels. Is there too much friction involved or too much weight? To keep online with this I think that van looks wonderful but I don’t know how they can do it for that cheap price. I think the basic vehicle is going to be that cheap price but when you start adding all those things for retailing out of it and such it’s going to go up fast. But a basic vehicle for me to build my own building would be great but there’s probably a weight limit to the platform. And the rain certainly isn’tFar enough for me.

nature lover, it is simple physics. it would take more energy to overcome the drag of the generators on the wheels then they could produce. in other words it is a net loss of power which would cut down the range. highdesertranger

It seems that they do now use regenerative braking more. I always way amazed at the commuter trains that did that.

yes regenerative braking does work because after all that is what you are trying to do is to stop. highdesertranger

nature lover said:
I have often wondered why EV’s don’t have a generator on each turning wheel
When I was a school bus drivers the mechanics often thought I was crazy.  Once I asked why they have a six cylinder diesel engine.  They could put a 1 cylinder diesel engine in each of the six wheels.  That way it would be no harder than changing a tire or putting on new brake shoes to overhaul an engine that wore out.  If one wheel motor failed the bus could make it back to the shop using five.  Worst case, send out the service truck to replace the one broken wheel motor.

Power for the air conditioning could be done as it was when they first started adding air conditioning to school buses.  They used to call it a pony motor but now APU is a common term.

Power steering could be done by varying each wheel motor power level individually.  Run the right front wheel motor full power to assist turning left.

Some diesels, like the GM 71 series, are two stroke.  Two stroke engines can run backwards.  The need for a reverse gear can be eliminated.

Hate that, have to clean your britches on a steep grade. Where do they put the grid resistors? On the back doors I hope, hate to have all that fire inside the rig.
-crofter

We had an employee in a Polaris electric cart that figured out you could outsmart the governor going down hill to exceed the top recommended speed by pumping the accelerator pedal. She got it up to speed and got scared and let off instead of continuing pumping the petal to the bottom of the hill and letting it slow on it’s own. When she let off it went to full charge and beyond as it caught the generator on fire and left a huge smoke trail right past her supervisor’s office window! Her new nick name was”Hot Stuff”! Lol!!!

HDR - I thought it might be something like that but not be a mechanical I wasn’t sure. Thank you.