Ford Transit Trail Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLB_SA

Reaction score
This CNBC article says "The Detroit automaker on Thursday revealed the 2023 Ford Transit Trail Van, a new lifted model of its full-size van equipped with all-wheel-drive and more durable, off-road parts for outdoor enthusiasts. It also comes ready for customization, also known as “upfitting,” to turn the vehicle into a living or sleeping space." Also "The 2023 Ford Transit Trail Van will go on sale in the spring, starting at $65,975. That’s about $15,000 more than a base passenger Transit van. The vehicle will be available in three cargo van configurations, including medium- and high-roof models and a high-roof, extended-length version."
Sounds a bit expensive. Are Ford Transit vans reliable and a good value?

My first thought is the interest rates at the moment. My daughter who has excellent credit and the money for a huge down payment is looking at 8.75% on interest. She was looking to replace her 10 year old Lexus SUV. That makes a hefty monthly payment. I think the interest for this type of van maybe overshadowed by the current economy.

Starting price of $68k. "It gets a 3.5-inch lift for better ground clearance. Its 30.5-inch Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse all-terrain tires are 2.5 inches larger than what were previously available, ensuring a balance between capability and a compliant ride, and the track is also widened by 2.75 inches."

Still looks like it has little ground clearance, especially the rear shock mounts. Might be interesting for people with plenty of money who won't be too adventurous.

2023-Ford-Transit-Trail-24.jpg

Most of the lift (2.5") is body lift; about 1" is bigger tires. That will help with approach, break over, and departure angles, but that's about all. Looks more like a car show queen. Ford has a big backlog for Transit with some reporting more than 21 months and counting.

Starting price of $68k. "It gets a 3.5-inch lift for better ground clearance. Its 30.5-inch Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse all-terrain tires are 2.5 inches larger than what were previously available, ensuring a balance between capability and a compliant ride, and the track is also widened by 2.75 inches."

Still looks like it has little ground clearance, especially the rear shock mounts. Might be interesting for people with plenty of money who won't be too adventurous.

2023-Ford-Transit-Trail-24.jpg
That's a sweet ride for sure with lots of upfitting options from simple to complex...

It’s a unicorn until I see one. All of the ubiquitous Ford promo is just a rehash of the original announcement. Almost all of the YouTubers have the English head engineer gentleman who extols its virtues. I notice, however, a lack of any off script questions. I think they are all getting paid, and I suspect that most don’t give a damn about the Transit Trail. So, we’re left with more questions than answers.
#1. What is a 3.5 inch body lift on a unibody? In a unibody the frame and body are but one structure: there is no separating them. Maybe “body lift” takes on a different meaning with a unibody, but a body lift is just a suspension lift. There is a subframe that the drive train sits on, but that is usually lowered to compensate for increased driveshaft angles from a suspension lift. However, Ford’s introduction of the Trial just states it as a 3.5-inch ride height increase. This makes more sense: 2 inch strut spacers and 1.25” tire radius increase (28 inch 235/65r16 to 30.5 inch 245/75r16). So, 2 + 2.5/2 = 3.5”. Oh, no. Crap! I thought I had it…. Maybe it’s for the rear axle?
#2. Speaking of the rear axle, what did they do with low hanging shock brackets?
#3. Increased track width, front and rear, by 2.75 inches. Lots of ways to do this. I think it’s likely to have 245/75r16 tires so that makes it 1/3” wider than stock. Wheels, spacers and wheel hubs seem to be what will actually get to 2.75”.
#4. Speaking of 245/75r16 tire, will a spare fit underneath a standard length 148 WB? It seems they’ll have to make a body change to accommodate it.
#5. Wheel flares are needed for track change.
#6. Skid plate-style front bumper. You need some protection for the low slung intercooler. Hopefully, style doesn’t mean just for looks.
#7. Rock slider-style steps. In this case, it just for looks. Some will like them. After all, it is a step up into a yet higher van. But, to me their number one job is too collect mud and dirty your legs or pants. But, they look good, tough. But, they aren’t tough. You hit a rock hard enough, they might damage the body where otherwise no contact would have been made because of lost ground clearance of the step! Worse yet, you might have to remove the step (trail repair) just to continue on your way. True rock sliders are very expensive and there might be a step, although a very minimal one. If it was my van, I’d be deinstalling the slider-style at the earliest opportunity.
#8. This is not covered in the press release, other than very limited info on the upfitter package included with the Trail. One issue that stands out for any camper build is the ability to charge from the vehicle’s alternator. With the advent of smart alternators this can be difficult. Smart alternators shut down when the SOC of the starter battery is near full. DC to DC chargers will not charge the house batteries below a certain voltage, usually 13.5 volts. This is to prevent discharge of the starter battery to a low level. Makes sense. If the van won’t go, your walking or calling. So, what’s the problem? If the house batteries need charging the alternator should NOT shut down, thereby NOT providing the >13.5 volts needed to keep the DC to DC chargers on and charging the house batteries. The Transit makes it difficult to keep the alternator on, aka SRC Inhibit. It’s a deep dive into the Transit Forum and into Ford technical documentation. That’s how to find the solution. To implement it you have to make changes that may void the warranty in certain situations.
#9. Speaking of warranty, did Ford threaten us in one of their ads for the Transit Trail? It was a woman talking about the capabilities and features of the Trail. Talking about the upfitter package and the exhaust fan specifically, she says something like “Try doing that yourself and goodbye warranty.” Scare tactics? Might be a potential violation of the Magnusan-Moss Warranty Act…to void a warranty because you cut a hole in your vans roof to install an exhaust fan???

Last edited:
I'm interested as well. Hopefully the price drops a bit by the end of the year. All I've seen are paid articles and videos and some press releases. I've heard all the usual stuff, the lift, the trim, the alternator stuff, etc etc but I've also seen mentioned an interior that is easier to build out of. Absolutely no details though, maybe it's some sort of dense paneling in the interior or something. The optional fan install is a great option too.