Animal Control Visit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheelEstate USA

Reaction score
We're in Santa Monica, Ca and its about 76 degrees. We have Reflectix covering all the windows front to back on the sunny side. All windows are cracked open and a fan going...76 inside. Bindi has plenty of water and food. I don't walk far with my oxygen situation, so never gone long.

Got back after 15 minute trip to pee and some do-gooder had called LEO.

Well, the AC officer looked things over and was pleased with what he saw. We had a nice chat. He explained how he would have used an infrared thermometer thru a window before taking any action. Conditions like an over weight husky type dog also are taken into consideration before calling it extreme enough to act.
He said in most cases there would be no fine but the owner would pay an impound fee and a vet bill for checking the animal. Only in severe cases would the owner be fined.
We thanked him and he said he would advise the officers in the area that we have BIndi's bases covered.

Be careful...some well intentioned people don't stop to think before blowing the whistle.

I didn't think to warn you. That is part of the downside of that area. They like carrying their dogs in purses. At least in Cheviot Hills. But you should be well let alone now. Most of the authorities there are actually decent.

They don't call it the People's Republic of Santa Monica for nothing.

iggyp said:
I didn't think to warn you. That is part of the downside of that area. They like carrying their dogs in purses. At least in Cheviot Hills. But you should be well let alone now. Most of the authorities there are actually decent.

Also if anyone is going to the slabs Animal control makes visits there and pets must be up on all shots and licence.

When it comes to "shots", are they only looking for current rabies? My dogs are both 10+ years old and I don't get the other shots anymore. The last 2 times my chow/shepherd got the full vaccinations, her eyes swelled shut, ear flaps fully puffed up, etc. and it was horrible. Vet didn't think it was a big deal but to me and "Rinnie", it was a very big deal. The yellow lab, "Yellow Dog" is sensitive also. Both dogs are pampered but too heavy for a purse, maybe a wheeled duffle bag but not sure how "classy" that would look.

I would not be upset about it. Now you know that you are doing things the way the Animal Control approves.

My pets always had rabies and distemper shots. Cats had feline lukemia shots and the dogs were on heartworm prevention meds all year as one week we could be in snow and the next week in an area with mosquitos. My dogs also had the kennel cough vaccine yearly, just in case I ever had to do an emergency kenneling (only once but it was over a weekend and things were moving very fast). I also kept the pets paperwork in a folder with the rabies info on the top.

Snow Gypsy said:
... her eyes swelled shut, ear flaps fully puffed up, etc. and it was horrible.

While titers aren't an accepted method of proving immunity in many places, it is a good idea. Should push come to shove, providing a titer test probably would be good enough, especially if you can prove the dog has problems with vaccinations. I know of a lady that does minimal vaccination and uses titers whenever possible. She is given a green light despite not being compliant with the law.

Titers are expensive, though.