And So It Begins ... Again ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have access to your side doors? It looks like your benches take away the access via the side doors.

waldenbound said:
Do you have access to your side doors? It looks like your benches take away the access via the side doors.

Side door opens just fine. In fact, that's how I get my access to the battery, charge controller, and some of the electrical. If you wanted to get in/out through that door it is harder because of the bench but no biggie. I didn't plan on using it for getting in/out so I'd rather use that space. Also, I don't have the double side doors I have a slider.

Got a fair bit more done. Basically move in ready now. Which requires actually moving stuff in, haha.
Those 3" thick silicone foam pads need some covers but that is a project for later.
Need to clean up some wiring and misc but I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

DuhAR6h.jpg

ZiwVrkS.jpg

t2czdCG.jpg

ZWGDbQJ.jpg

HXOt2Hm.jpg

4QoYkGu.jpg

xuS6MGe.jpg

V1m1IfI.jpg

p3CjMDz.jpg

When budget allows, I will be adding: 100w more solar, fridge, some trim, and a buttload of totes to fill up that cabinet space and the cubbies under the couch and bench. Likely some more goodies too but this gives you an idea :)

(Oh, and for those curious, the bed is 73.5" long and 41" wide. Plenty big enough for me and even a guest)

I'll take it!  Great job!  Looks very professional.  I want mine just like that, except I want to open the rear doors.  I think that size bed is perfect for me because I like to sprawl out and have a bad back.  What kind of battery is that and how did you wire it, series or parallel?  How many builds do you have under your belt?

You should be proud. :D  Congratulations!  Did you name your van?

XFILE36 said:
I'll take it!  Great job!  Looks very professional.  I want mine just like that, except I want to open the rear doors.  I think that size bed is perfect for me because I like to sprawl out and have a bad back.  What kind of battery is that and how did you wire it, series or parallel?  How many builds do you have under your belt?

You should be proud. :D  Congratulations!  Did you name your van?

Thanks :) The pictures look better than real life though, haha. Keeping the rear door openings is no biggie. I just knew that it didn't matter for me. The bed will need a little more padding but dimensionally it's great. The battery is just a group 29 deep cell in a box. Single battery so no series/parallel. This is my 3rd. First truly designed for full timing though. 

It's funny ... I've built LOTS of toys and normally name every project but I kind of avoided it on this one. Might be some sort of denial about my circumstances this time round. Not sure. But no, she remains unnamed. Though, like all good projects, she is a she, haha.

interesting,so without wall insulation/paneling and raising the bed to the max bow of the walls a 6 foot person can lay across
still dont think 1 inch extra would be enough for me,the 5'6" folks got it made it the van world

Gary68 said:
interesting,so without wall insulation/paneling and raising the bed to the max bow of the walls a 6 foot person can lay across
still dont think 1 inch extra would be enough for me,the 5'6" folks got it made it the van world

I was wondering the same things.

Gary68 said:

I think having the sliding door gives a little bit more width. The panels are flush with the verticle supports so you could still have insulation but just between and inside them. Adding horizontals to mount your paneling to and give extra space for insulation would drop you down under 6'. 

At the end of the day, while most people forget you need more bed length than you are tall I think this will work nicely for me. I'm rarely stretched out and if I do need more space the diagonal should be about 84 (if my math skills are still sharp). Plus, I intend to use some of the extra foam to make a shallow pillow. Since who needs 18" of pillow depth anyways? lol

Now, for those among us who are shorter ... Yeah, definitely a lot easier. At 5'10" I think this is as short as the bed can be for me, haha.

Sorry for the delay on updates. Getting life squared away so I can move into the van.
I'll snap more pictures with my things in the van once I have it loaded up.
I need to measure all the spaces for totes. Easier to pack more in and stay organized.

Gideon33w said:
Sorry for the delay on updates. Getting life squared away so I can move into the van.
I'll snap more pictures with my things in the van once I have it loaded up.
I need to measure all the spaces for totes. Easier to pack more in and stay organized.

Actually, makes me (veeeery slow person when it comes to van build) feel a little better :D

dr_nelson said:
Actually, makes me (veeeery slow person when it comes to van build) feel a little better :D

Haha. Well, I got so caught up trying to get the van livable that I didn't get plenty of other stuff done.
Should be in the van by the end of the week. Hopefully, will be able to get some extras soon too.

Hey man, you sound like you were in the military like myself. Drink water and drive on, and keep us posted on everything. I've been checking out a lot of your threads as you provide excellent information and ideas! Keep it up

mdoverl said:
Hey man, you sound like you were in the military like myself. Drink water and drive on, and keep us posted on everything. I've been checking out a lot of your threads as you provide excellent information and ideas! Keep it up

Got out in 2010. Spent a few more years government contracting. 
I wish water and Ranger candies truly fixed everything ... lol
Appreciate the compliment. I like to share info and help out when I can.

Gideon33w said:
Got out in 2010. Spent a few more years government contracting. 
I wish water and Ranger candies truly fixed everything ... lol
Appreciate the compliment. I like to share info and help out when I can.

What are ranger candies?  Thanks for sharing your build.

I saw you say you'd like to change a couple things with your build.  Would you care to share what those are?  TY

XFILE36 said:
I saw you say you'd like to change a couple things with your build.  Would you care to share what those are?  TY

I think I would turn the bench into a desk and have it flip out and lock onto the couch to form the bed. Not hard to do.
Longitudinally mounted clothing racks would probably be more space efficient (might actually do this later).
Also, go deeper on the closet/cabinet but have them cut at a 45 where they meet the kitchen for the extra space.

Latest posts