And it begins...My Chevy Express 3500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll look for the spare tire- and darn it, I did cut the seat belts!

Lol! That is what usually happens! Oh well!

No worries...

Best wishes on the spare! Hope they didn't cut it out as well, just kidding!!

I bought the insulation and cut it for the floor. My son told me I got the wrong kind, is that true? Also, if this stuff is ok, should I have put the silver side down? He also said I need little pieces of wood between the metal ribs on the floor, is this true?
This really is van building for dummies, and I'm the dummy!

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 38
Silver side down might help with reflecting the heat coming up from either asphalt or the exhaust system when you park for the day.

Silver side up might help reflect heat that you produce inside the van by keeping the floor a little warmer in cold weather.

Your choice really!

I'm not really sure if the reflective properties will work all that well without an air gap anyways.

I didn't insulate the floor at all but if I had of, I would have built a frame to insert the insulation in to so that it didn't get crushed by the weight of walking on it and the weight of cabinetry. But that would take up an extra 3/4". And I'd have used polyiso.

IMO (and others will differ with me) insulating the floor if you're a nomad and wander with the weather full-time is non-productive. Yes, on a cold  morning in January in AZ the floor is a tad cold so I put my shoes and socks on...problem solved.

As to filling the strips with wood, maybe, maybe not...some have, some don't!

Hmmm....I thought I was buying polyiso, but maybe not. Thanks!

On the "R-Max Plus" that I bought, it states either side is ok, as both sides are reflective. Each side looks like a silvered sorta surface, with the branding and lettering, instructions, etc on the other side! My stuff is one inch and kinda flexible, but still breakable...

In addition it can be held in place very well by slightly oversizing.

Today was a good day! My son figured out my lack of hot water issue, long distance, so I was finally able to take a hot shower in my travel trailer. Also wood was assembled in the van- its basic and a bit rough, but I hired someone to help and everything was cut and screwed together in a few hours. Really, just the plywood on the floor, my bed base, my desk/hubbies bed, and a small counter. I also cut some Reflectix to fit the long windows. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post. Next up will be some sanding, paint, linoleum, some Formica, and some curtains and such. I'll be a happy camper if I just get some mattresses in there so I'll have a place to sleep when I go to Long Beach for the high top!

ok... nothing wrong with asking that a load be properly stacked before delivery.
The smartest construction workers do it every single time !
If building a cabin, from one delivery, roof sheathing would be on bottom of the stack, all the way up to forming lumber/floor joists on top of the stack.
Beats the heck out of tearing up the pile to get something buried, out of it's sequence. You did the right thing !

I'm not so sure I will agree with your choice of insulation for one reason...
If your plywood subfloor is fastened over it, as time goes by, with various traffic and loads placed upon the floor, the insulation will compact and the fasteners will rise up proud relative to the surface they were once holding snuggly down. This will constitute a dangerous snag. If covered over with a flooring product, it will try to push that up by the amount the insulation squished.

Hope I explained myself well enough... wheels

You can always nit-pick between good, great and outstanding!! But, from what I see, your doing a great job!! That's going to work really well!!

ValerieP said:
I have an issue with being locked out, so I'm really happy this mystery is solved before I ever get started!

I can relate to that!! Also locked in or even have someone standing between me and a door at times.  Friends and family know that if they hear  :huh:  " I need to get out, MOVE, it's time to MOVE".  I've never had to go over or through anyone however it's been close a few times. ;)

Jewellann

This is definitely going to be one of the simplest builds around! I had someone help, and I think I might redo a bit of the structures, but they give me a good idea of what will fit and what won't. I've already decided that the narrowest table is not staying, and  I'm going to figure out a way to have a drop down counter when I need to cook inside. 
I bought a 7 1/2 inch mattress today and will cut it so it will fit on the back bed, 36x70, and the front bed 24x64. The front bed will also double for a desk when we aren't traveling. 
I plan on putting a fridge between the front two seats, and the porta potty under the desk. I've already put the trike under the back bed and it fits nicely.
I'm going to have to get a swing out carrier for the back so I can carry my little generator (maybe), dog kennels, a flat dog trailer, and the BBQ. 
So, I'm still concerned about cutting the high top and installing a fan, but I know that should be done.
Tomorrow, I plan to put the linoleum squares down, so I can move my clothes back in there- I've been sleeping with the IKEA mini clothes hanger system on the bed next to me. 

What would be the best way to mount solar?  I don't think I'll need much, I just want to run a few LCD lights, the fridge, and charge electronics. When I'm not plugged in, I can cook on my little propane burner. 

I decided on the 20" hightop and I go the 27th to get it installed. I'm excited and a little unnerved. 

By the way, I love the way the van drives- I've been to Vegas and back a few times and it's comfortable driving on the freeway, in town, and around and about.

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 54
Sounds like your confidence in the vehicle is really high. I understand living with what you've got right now and changing things once you figure out what you want or need. Its amazing how little is really needed to get "out there"

Hey Val,
  I've been curious what you used to tighten the brackets that your rail crew left loose for you.  And did you find out what was making the noise?

Those brackets must have only been used in larger than savana 2500 models because I never found them in mine.

Your build is goining much faster than mine and I know your excited about the hightop.  I hear only good things about your contractor.  Your solar needs wouldn't seem to me very great.  Much depends on your battery choice.  I am new to this also and bought my solar and batteries a little early. After you get your high top installed and can measure how much room you'll have to work with the electrical forum can help you with your electrical needs.

gapper2

Well gapper2, the noise that clanked the worst is now tied together with a piece of rope, and the other hasn't been fixed. It's still on the to do list, and I'll get to it, but getting under the van isn't something I'm very good at doing!

I was just really excited that IKEA had the mattress I wanted on sale!! I never catch sales at IKEA!
I also found out that their 1.00 cinnamon rolls are pretty darn good! Free coffee with a free family card and a yummy roll is a great deal!

Ikea bed cut and in. I will still protect them a bit more with mattress pads, but that was quite the chore. I also added an IKEA slide drawer- Algot maybe and I have another IKEA structure to go in there and some rolling IKEA totes under the more narrow bed.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 42
Val,
  Looks good.  LOTS of room for storage under those beds!  Are the beds fastened to the floor or will they be?  Have you talked to the high top people to see if they advise that the van be empty?  I would think it would be better.  I was a machinist in a former life and it's almost impossibe to keep the metal shavings and chips out of stuff.

Are those blackout curtains under the airbags? And do they work for you?

And are you planning to keep the rear airbags?  The reason I ask is I purchased a couple of airbag simulators online and I'm not completely satisfied with them.  They are small and encased in plastic and are supposed to simulate an actual airbag.  Mine are intermittent.  Sometimes they put an error message on the dash message screen and most times they don't.  I have an obdII code scanner and the codes never come up on the scanner.  And the messages are easily cleared by scrolling through the messages.  I don't like that they are intermittent. Got more research to do on those.

I too LOVE the way my van drives.  I've always had smaller cars and vans.  A different view sitting up so high. 

Great progress.  It has gotta make you feel good!

Did you have rear air conditioning?  If so what did you do with it?  I'm looking at a Express 3500 with seats and it has air conditioning ducted into the headliner.  I didn't see that in any of your pictures.  Thanks for all the info on the seat rails.

Yes, there is still an AC back there. I need to get it out, but it'll take more know how than I have.
Fiberine wants me to take out the rear airbags before they put the top on, and I guess I'll just have to take the beds out there because I have nowhere else they can go, and we will need to sleep in them the night get before. I'll take everything else out and put it in my travel trailer when me we are there. It'll be an experience!

Val,

I've read that you need to disable the airbag system before taking them out.   On my 2012 savana I removed my airbags successfully by first removing the negative cable from the starter battery and waiting at least 5 minutes for the system to deenergize before removing the airbag connectors. I replaced them with the simulators that I am not happy with. If you don't think you are capable of removing them safely, I highly reccomend getting a mechanic to do it.  I don't want to scare you but you DON'T want to accidently trigger an airbag.  They are explosive!  The dealership may be able to disable any codes in the main ECM (computer) so that an error is not triggered and they have the equipment to do that.  I would highly reccomend talking to them.

Also AC removal is a job for the pros.

Be Safe!

Thanks, that has been my concern and why both are still in there. When I had the rails out, I asked them to take them out, but they refused. It was probably a good thing because it has become clear that they really didn't know what they were doing! I will give the dealer a call. As always, thanks for the advice, I greatly appreciate it.