And it begins...My Chevy Express 3500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValerieP

Reaction score
Holy smokes, Batman! I read, I watched, I asked questions, I went to a dealer with a measuring tape a few days ago, and, voila, I now own a used 2017 Chevy Express 3500 extended wheel base van with 24,000 miles.
I wanted used, but barely used, and I plan to pay this off in the next couple of years, so I can retire in 3-4 years. I would have been just as happy with a 2500, but this is what was available. I might need to carry around a step stool, but I should be able to tow whatever I want to wherever I want. 
For the time being, I'll be turning it into my bedroom, my crafty/or work space, and the garage for my recumbent trike. We have a TT for everything else. The down side is that I had to trade my truck in, so  I no longer own my Toyota Tundra that has been my faithful companion  for the past 10 years and 100,000 miles. It's been with me through a lot- the lmost as if both my parents, a broken leg/ankle, and it helped me heal by allowing me to venture down the road with a cargo trailer. It was hard to say goodbye, but I am not a mechanic, and things are beginning to be a bit worn. (I think I might have stressed it a bit towing the TT here.) Who knows, every time I take it in for an oil change, I end up with a different list of things that really must be done now. But, back to my van...

In order to get windows, which I really wanted, I had to get all those darn seats, so the first order of  business will be their removal. I would imagine somebody might want them? This thing even has a back up camera, so- hopefully- I won't hit anything. Although it is maybe just a smidge bigger than my truck, I feel like it's huge. My husband said it looked more like I'd  bought a bus rather than a van.

I'll put a bed across the back and maybe make it so my trike can ride under it.
Tomorrow, I'll start measuring.
I'm really a bit giddy and I still can't believe I've bought a van- a really big van!
It's really too hot to sleep in it now, so I have time to get this  figured out! At some point, probably next year, I would like to put a high top on it. 
Interestingly enough, the salesperson told me about an Express City that he sold to a woman who has since converted it to a mini class B. And the finance guy can't wait until his kids are grown so he can go mobile! 

I am still thinking about her name, but I'll post it on this thread when I decide.

It's a new way of living on the horizon!!

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 68
You think your van is big now, just wait until you have to park in cramped parking places, drive on narrow National Park roads, drive through mountains with big drop offs. :s Oh the joys of a big vehicle. But, you can look down at all the little shrimpo cars at stop lights. :p

Congrats on the van!

are the seats bench or are there singles?

you put a high top on that and you would have a mansion

The seats are bench- well at least some, maybe all. Before I went to bed last night I went out and laid down in one! I'm 5'6" and it was nearly big enough for a bed.

Yes, with a high top, it'll be quite spacious! I'm really trying to downsize, and I've gone from a house to a TT, but I still have stuff that I'm not ready to let go of...

Yes it has three big bench seats in the back!

I've owned two Chevy Express 3500 vans and have beat them into the dirt. I've pulled a big TT across the country; I've taken it down dirt roads that should never have been traveled in the beast; I've camped numerous times having removed the seats and built a table and bed in the back. I currently use it as a work truck moving plywood and materials for building my new rig and have beat the crap out of the inside; most interior panels are broken or missing.

And yet, it keeps running.

I reckon you've got a lovely platform to start your build. You may want to consider removing a few of the seat feet that clip into the floor fixtures as they later may come in handy to mount things to the floor that you might want removable. Enjoy!

Thanks, I'm just now researching how to remove the seats. I think the seats themselves come out fairly easy, but it looks like the rails are going to be a challenge! I will have a look at the seat feet that clip into the floor fixtures. I was thinking I would want all of that removed- but I don't have a clue what I'm doing yet!

Even though I think taking the interior down to what I want will be huge- having all the windows, with done that open, will make me happier in the end. I love the panoramic windows in the Lazy Daze, so I'm happy to have them in my van!

Just a thought, either advertise on CL for "seats, $100 U remove" or go to a salvage yard and ask them to remove seats & rails and they can have the seats.  Since you are pretty sure you'll not need them again that is. 

Or see if friends/neighbors have any use for an outside porch seat or something, to repurpose them. You may want to consider keeping the 1st seat behind the driver/passenger as a "block" device, or as a cheap alternate seating/sleeping place. Also makes the van look more "normal" from the front, since its not a cargo van.

Maybe none of the above applies to you, just suggestions.

Glad you got a slightly used 2017, warranty for another 12K and tons of room. They ride well with that long wheelbase and progressive dampened spring rate. Which engine and rear gear ratio?

That's a great idea for the seat removal! I removed the pins, but the seat isn't moving much- it's already hot so I'm not sure how much more tugging I will do today!
I wanted a slightly used because I had an idea it would save me over a quarter of the new price, which it did, but I don't have the best credit and I may not have been able finance a new if I had wanted one. I'm in a small town and this is the only dealership, so they have to be more fair than others or everyone would go elsewhere. I did have a couple of people recommend the dealship before I went back after my measurements.
The engine is a V8L 4.8, 6 speed automatic transmission heavy duty electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode, internal transmission cooler
I'm not sure what a gear ratio is...
I hope I didn't mess up too much because between you and me and the world, I really don't know what I'm doing. This only the 3nd vehicle I've ever bought from a dealer all in my own, and the last time was 10 years ago.
I am planning to take all the back seats out and I'll just put a curtain or something up for privacy.
Amazingly enough, I'm going to need every inch.

Hi Val! Congrats on your van choice! We have an 08 3500, our build is listed in my siggie below!
We've had it since late Oct, and have just taken a rather long maiden voyage...

Luv it, I'm sure you will also!

I kinda want to ask you to save one of the front benches for us! I have no idea where your at but we are near Nashville, Tn. You can pm f you'd feel easier that way.

I heard those rails that the seats fit into are a tuff takeout!

I'm in Pahrump, NV. I don't mind saving a seat for you, but how would you get it?

ValerieP said:
I removed the pins, but the seat isn't moving much- 

Once the pins are removed, the seats have to move rearward about 1.5" to remove. If they don't budge, sit on the floor in front of the seat and stomp on the front of the seat posts with your feet to move them back. Then lift the rear of the seat out of the rail first and slide further back to release.

Hey Valerie, not sure if you've seen this one, but I really thought this would make an ideal tow vehicle and short trip home away from home. It might give you some ideas as it's essentially the same van you have.

We are planning on attending the 2018 RTR in Jan.

But honestly, I don't know if we could afford to pay for a seat, much less actually incorporate it into our build... Maybe I was thinking out loud, lol! I usually get into more trouble that way...

I do want one, and if we can negotiate a decent price, we always figure out the how later?

At any rate, we can hook up at the rtr, if you can wait that long? I can hardly wait!!!

galladanb said:
We are planning on attending 2018 RTR

I do want one, and if we can negotiate a decent price, we always figure out the how later?

At any rate, we can hook up at the rtr, if you can wait that long? I can hardly wait!!!

I want to go, at least for a couple of days- so maybe. It'll depend on whether I can figure out how to get them out or if I have to barter the labor for the seats- if it works out- we can talk price later...

He has a slick looking build! Today, I'm thinking I might want to block some of the windows on the side, not all of them, but maybe the big long  side ones. I'll temporarily black them out and see what I think. 
At this point I may not put the bed across the back, but more alongside, like the video.
I do need it to have at least 25" clearance so that my recumbent trike will fit under it. That's another reason I am thinking about blacking out the long windows. It might be a bit unnerving to sleep next to a window! I though about having the bed across the back, but I want to be able to enter from m the back, especially while I'm at an RV park.
If it's ever under 100 degrees when I get home from work, I'm going to try to take out the bench seats again.
Otherwise I'm still very much in the planning stage.
I will need 30amp because I'll need to run an air conditioner next Aug and maybe Sept- so I want to figure that out before I go very far. I also want to do whatever I need to do to set it up for solar-if I need to. I still don't know enough, but I'm reading more every day. 

I've also thought that it might be a wast of energy to take everything off the ceiling if I plan to add a high top- but maybe it needs to be bare? 

I appreciate the info you offered!!

This is going to be a very slow process...
I bought the van last Saturday. Today, one week later, after much time in tool aisles and several conversations with strangers, we were able to remove the seats from the van!!! Woot! Woot!
Next, I have to find homes for them!
Then, I think I'll take off the grey plastic side stuff and the stuff on the floor. Oh, yes- I'll have to get those pesky seat belts all the way out...

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 44