And it begins...My Chevy Express 3500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cammalu said:
"I painted the inside of my rig with paint that had a primer in it.  I got a high quality paint from Home Depot.  I'm not happy.  Lots of scratches and such thAt went all the way through. It just didn't stand up.  

If I had it to do over I'd sure buy a good primer separate from the paint."

What good info, Camm!   (btw, sorry I misspelled your name before)
Valerie will be glad to know this, too.  And anyone else thinking to paint an interior.

smile.gif
Charlotte

Fiberine said I have 1/2 of plywood on the top, so I could screw some sort of paneling up there. I'm going to look online at Home Depot and see what they have. Then maybe I could have a thin layer of bubble wrap and Reflectix for a little bit of a barrier from the heat- it's the end of October and it's still hot here. Thinking about what to do takes a lot of thought!

ValerieP said:
"Thinking about what to do takes a lot of thought!"

So right you are!  And since you are WISE to realize this, I am passing on a youtube like for you to give you some excellent ideas & advice.  From Mike of Backroads Vanner.  He is a retired contractor &  *really* knows how to do a job right---& beautifully.

His videos are a pleasure to watch, well paced & professional.  Wait to watch when you aren't too tired or distracted.  You will likely get the ideas/info/instruction you need here.

Try his video on how to insulate & upholster.  No detail is overlooked, from materials, fasteners, proper glue, etc.

You go, Valerie!
Charlotte

Paint is happening! Kilz today, tomorrow- semi- gloss tomorrow and Thursday!

Attachments

• IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 21
That's sure going to brighten things up in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Charlotte I painted the inside of my rig with paint that had a primer in it.  I got a high quality paint from Home Depot.  I'm not happy.  Lots of scratches and such thAt went all the way through. It just didn't stand up.   If I had it to do over I'd sure buy a good primer separate from the paint.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Home Depot directed me to a pricey black matte paint with primer in it, when I told them I want to paint one side of my Reflectix black for night time use on my minivans back & side windows

With what you are saying, Cammalu, that might not be the best idea. I don't want to use spray paint. Anyone use black paint with primer on Reflectix for this purpose? If so, did you buy paint with primer or use primer first?

Don't want shiny little scratches all over the black side surface. The matte color I like is called Privacy. :)

Good question Kathleen! I know several people have painted Reflectix, but I'm not sure what they used- maybe someone will tell us.

We've been busy! The interior of the high top received a coat of Kilz and 2 coats of Semi Gloss. I lowered the back bed 3 inches, hung back curtains, built 2 different IKEA shelving units, purchased a Sunnersta kitchen from IKEA, cut down my desk and will use IKEA legs for my desk. I figured out that a bed fits perfectly across the front seats and the wood crates underneath will be perfect for more storage.

For the first time in my life I used a skill saw, an electric drill and a jigsaw! I ran my battery down twice!

Attachments

• IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2204.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 28
Update!
Since I posted I have, or my sons have, or I’ve paid to have done:
Put a hitch on
Dealt with the rear air bags
Put in 30 amp- 4 receptacles, breaker box, overhead light
Installed Whynter fridge/freezer on a box that also houses
2000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger
2 universal sealed 125 ah batteries
Rebuilt the bed to make it 48 inches
Installed several Trofast shelves as cabinets and clothes storage,
Put up lots of curtains-layered with either block out curtains or a quilt with sheer over the top
Installed bathroom vanity from Home Depot as a sink and water storage
Put down Lino on the floor
Added a 4ft screen for a barrier at night between the front and back

I have a hand pump faucet to install, a Berky water system on the way, and a swivel base for the passenger seat.

I had a swing away hitch carrier for the back, but I bought the wrong one and it was awful, so I returned it.
Soon I’m going to order a c head toilet which will fit nicely under the bed. 

On the wish list is an AC- I spend Aug and Sept in Nevada and it’s hot!

I do wonder, do I need a fantastic fan or would a plug in fan circulate the air good enough?

Attachments

• F1F011A6-BB44-4E4D-BC08-C6A6DF96BBF1.jpeg
    F1F011A6-BB44-4E4D-BC08-C6A6DF96BBF1.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 14
  • C333FB93-BE2A-4960-A84B-82F74F2C3E38.jpeg
    C333FB93-BE2A-4960-A84B-82F74F2C3E38.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1D9B1000-56A4-4F1A-988F-C02DBF77F53D.jpeg
    1D9B1000-56A4-4F1A-988F-C02DBF77F53D.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 19
  • C37EDFF5-4285-4414-AE6C-CB3FDC3D8814.jpeg
    C37EDFF5-4285-4414-AE6C-CB3FDC3D8814.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
Vornado as choice of forced-air heat is excellent, only suggestion is make a safe place for it as close to the floor as possible so it can 'eat' any & all cold air pooling there! They also have very good warranty service with 10, 5 or 3 Year Satisfaction Guarantee levels depending on unit; they've shipped me several new units after calling them (snip old units cord & send them photo of it on request).

On the screens - white color to the outside reduces ability to see in, black to the inside enhances ability to see out, has to do with reflecting ambient light back to viewer or not, I wonder if its possible to laminate the sheer curtains with black/white. Okay, just a minor advantage, maybe not worth the effort...

I have block out curtains behind the screen, so it’s dark to the outside world. Just the block out curtains would have been enough, but my English Shepherd exhausts himself looking out the front windows if I don’t keep him in the back with me.