And it begins...My Chevy Express 3500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! That top looks gorgeous!!! I love that design!!!

So numbers? How tall is that one, what is your inside height now?
What was the final cost?

In my case, I have to add the cost of an across the country road trip! Yikes, right?

So exciting for you!!!

That looks fantastic! I can't wait for mine! Fiberine says it will be shipping my top east soon! WAHOO!

galladanb said:
In my case, I have to add the cost of an across the country road trip! Yikes, right?
Dan'l - check out TCI in Gilbert, PA. They will install my top for about $600. I have to pay that and shipping from CA (still being calculated). I would have preferred letting Fiberine do the install but if I take the time off to drive to CA and back (from VA), I'd lose valuable camping time.

That's what I was going to say- find someone closer to install. But, a trip to Long Beach isn't so bad! I'll go measure everything in a bit. We just got home and it's a bit warm out there. I don't remember it being this warm in October in Nevada. It sure was nice to sleep in it last night! Also, they explained how they make the tops, but it went beyond me. They were flabbergasted at the way the N Carolina guy did it- in disbelief, really. Fiberine has been in business for over 35 years! I might go with their running boards- still thinking about that one- they are beautiful.

galladanb said:
Very cool! That top looks gorgeous!!! I love that design!!!

So numbers? How tall is that one, 20 inches, but it sires looks higher. I measured, it's 20 inches, what is your inside height now? Now my inside height center is 74, which is plenty of room, even when my bed has 25" for storage space under it. It was quite nice to look out the back of it this morning. 
What was the final cost? Total price 4135- I added plywood ceiling reinforcement, and wood along the sides to attach cabinets to. 
I love the design, too. That is why I chose the 20", I am really happy with my choice. It may have added to my gas mileage a tiny bit. It was 16.8 mpg on the way down and 17.8 mpg on the way back at 65 mph. 

So exciting for you!!!

I forgot- the 800 installation fee was figured into the price.

Cool, that means I can factor in the drive out there, and still be under five k...

Thank you so much for all the info!
Can't wait for more pictures of the insides and what you do with it!

Pics of the interior. Fiberine assured me that with all of the added wood, my top is structurally much stronger than the original. He said that I would have no problem putting in an air conditioner, fantastic fan, rack and solar up there. I'm still debating the air- I would only use it a couple months of the year, so I might go with a portable that would vent out the window.
I would love ideas to temporarily or permanently cover the brown ceiling.
Paint 
Fabric glued to Reflectix,
Decopaged scrapbook paper
Pretend leather material

Suggestions? 
I don't want to screw anything into it right now.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 23
Paint!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Paint!!!!!!

Thanks!
Will any paint work, or does it have to be a special type?

Valerie I'm no paint expert but I would sure use a good primer first. You can take those photos in to any lowes or Home Depot type store And the employees should be able to tell you what paint would work the best for your needs.

ValerieP said:
Pics of the interior. Fiberine assured me that with all of the added wood, my top is structurally much stronger than the original.

Valerie, Big Congratulations! 
smile.gif

Awesome.  Glad to know you survived the trip.  Bet you're not feeling cranky now!

See you sometime again on the Airstream thread.  I've been busy on that idea.  No doubt you are fully engaged, for now tho, with your new hi top van.  (Did you get a chance to see those Airstreams a while back?)

Cheers,
Charlotte

first off congrats. second why do you want to cover the top? I think it looks great as is. maybe the pic just looks that way but I think its fine. highdesertranger

Charlotte\ said:
No, I had the month wrong! They are supposed to collect here in April!

Valerie, Big Congratulations! 
smile.gif

Awesome.  Glad to know you survived the trip.  Bet you're not feeling cranky now!

See you sometime again on the Airstream thread.  I've been busy on that idea.  No doubt you are fully engaged, for now tho, with your new hi top van.  (Did you get a chance to see those Airstreams a while back?)

Cheers,
Charlotte

ValerieP said:
Just the interior so it's not so dark.

Unless you need to add more insulation to ceiling, I agree that light/white paint will give more
*bang for the buck*.  

Be sure to clean the surface well first before painting.  Camaloo is correct:  you will need a primer. 
However, there are some paints available now which have built in primer.

Always buy best quality paint you can afford.   It will stand up well to condensation & cleaning.

rolleyes.gif
 Charlotte

Charlotte I painted the inside of my rig with paint that had a primer in it. I got a high quality paint from Home Depot. I'm not happy. Lots of scratches and such thAt went all the way through. It just didn't stand up. If I had it to do over I'd sure buy a good primer separate from the paint.