An incomplete guide to our National Seashores

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anm

Reaction score
Hi there,

I had been threatening to go down to Padre Island National Seashore, Texas, for months and finally made it in early December for ten days. I had beautiful weather the entire time, sunny, blue skies, 70°, the water was cool but not too cool for wading and even swimming. I spent hours walking in the surf, going miles down the beach. It was so relaxing, not crowded at all.

I parked my van in the Malaquite campground at an 'improved' campsite, and since I have a senior pass the cost was $4 per night, this entitles one to using the showers and real toilets, and a picnic table, shelter, metal barbecue thingy. The next time I go I'll do primitive camping on the beach which is free, you still have to pay to get into the National Seashore, but since I had a senior pass that too will be free! They let you stay no more than fourteen days consecutively, and with primitive camping and a senior pass the cost will be $0 for fourteen days! Talk about a bargain! If you do primitive camping 4 wheel drive is recommended. But when I was there the washed area of beach sand is so hard that I can't imagine anyone getting stuck, the problem would come when you move up away from the water to avoid the high tide — it is the Gulf of Mexico so the tides are not much.

There is a nice visitor's center that has a museum, info, free guided excursions, and souvenirs; there are a couple of 'high' observation decks; picnic tables; bathrooms, showers, and a small store (in the process of changing proprietorship). It also has a huge parking lot which gives a clue to Padre Island's summer popularity — when I was there there were only ten or so cars in the entire parking lot and Malaquite was about 50% occupied.

Here are some pics, me:
IMG_095853357.jpg

It was beautiful:
IMG_095913598.jpg

My van pictures are often out of focus:
IMG_150547792.jpg

IMG_164919208.jpg

IMG_150201881.jpg

My beach transportation, $30 at Goodwill:
IMG_120655964.jpg

I found this organic UFO there:
IMG_164619169.jpg

I'm not going to be able to get back there until next summer (or autumn) since I have been recruited to drive my son to UofT in El Paso for the entire spring semester — he can't drive. It will probably be next Autumn before I get there again...

Nice spot , good score !
Was the alien still alive ?

Yes, it's a beautiful place, I'm definitely heading back there.
No he was dead by the time I found him...

I wanted to go to Padre when I lived in San Antonio back in '81 , too much work not enough time .
Tried a second time in 2005 on the way back from Pecos , got as far as Del Rio , had to head north ,,,bad storms.
Maybe next trip...

Wow. Thanks for this report and pics. I've never been a big fan of visiting TX, but that looks worth the trip down. I'm now eligible for the geezer pass, too, and $4 a night seems a huge bargain for the showers!

Wow, nice find and great photos, you sure can't beat the price!  Try finding that kind of deal on the California coast (not!).  
I can get an annual State Park pass, but they don't include camping fees.   :(

Sorry to hear the UFO didn't make it.  It always saddens me to find dead animals, whether on shore, in the water, or on land.

The problem with Texas is that you have to drive through so much of it to get anywhere! BUT Padre Island definitely makes it worthwhile. El Paso to Padre Island (both in Texas) is further than El Paso to California. The drive to Padre Island took me 2 days, but going back to El Paso I did it in 1. I just needed enough caffeine!

Re the tarballs, there aren't any there now, just a nice clean beach for as far as you can see in either direction.

The National Park Senior Access Pass is what I have and it gets me in free at National Parks and monuments and is good for half-price on camping.

Anm,

I grew up in central TX and went to Padre Island a few times a year in my teens and twenties. I loved it there with the sun on my back, the sand and water under my toes, a soft breeze on my body, the smell of salt in the air, and the nurturing sound of the waves crashing on to the shore. I always looked for seashells and little critters in the sand. Soon I had not a care in the world. I climbed the sand dunes and dreamed of a shack where I could be a beach bum all summer.

Your pictures make me want to be there again, and I think, if nothing interferes, it will be a priority in 2016.

Thank you for reminding me.

Nice to hear from you, Andrew!

I made it to Padre Island and Port A in 2014. I'm heading back there this year and can't wait! Padre Island and the entire Gulf shore is now my annual trek east. Besides the gorgeous birds seen on the migratory bird trail and the intercoastal waterway,a beach every day makes me happy happy happy.

I will see that avoiding Padres Island and Port A during spring break is a good idea!

PatsyG said:
Anm,

I grew up in central TX and went to Padre Island a few times a year in my teens and twenties.  I loved it there with the sun on my back, the sand and water under my toes, a soft breeze on my body, the smell of salt in the air, and the nurturing  sound of the waves crashing on to the shore.  I always looked for seashells and little critters in the sand.  Soon I had not a care in the world.  I climbed the sand dunes and dreamed of a  shack where I could be a beach bum all summer.

Your pictures make me want to be there again, and I think, if nothing interferes, it will be a priority in 2016.

Thank you for reminding me.
Patsy,
I love the beach too, having many fond memories as a child. I love the sun, being at a beach in the sun, wading in the surf, that's my idea of heaven! Next autumn I will go back there — I can't do it this spring since I'm the designated driver, and summer will be too crowded. Autumn I will be there, I'll try the primitive camping on the southern part of the island and come up to the visitor's center for showers, etc. I've been thinking about getting a surf fishing rod and reel and trying my hand at fishing. That would be so cool, living there in my van for a couple of weeks, catching dinner!
Andrew

cyndi said:
Nice to hear from you, Andrew!

I made it to Padre Island and Port A in 2014. I'm heading back there this year and can't wait! Padre Island and the entire Gulf shore is now my annual trek east. Besides the gorgeous birds seen on the migratory bird trail and the intercoastal waterway,a beach every day makes me happy happy happy.

I will see that avoiding Padres Island and Port A during spring break is a good idea!
Hey Cyndi!
I love the beach too, and the gulf is always so inviting, the water's warm, and I can walk (or ride my bicycle) for hours! I just got back to El Paso but I can't wait to go back to Padre Island!
Andrew

gsfish said:
I was on Padre once back in 1970. I remember having to watch out for tar balls and cleaning our feet before getting in the car. I'm hoping that stricter laws have put an end to that problem.

Another good park on the Gulf is the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Camping is half price at Fort Pickens for geezers $13.
http://www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
https://www.google.com/search?q=gul...u_lPvJAhVM7GMKHZSKBDEQsAQIVQ&biw=1252&bih=602

Guy

Laws have no effect on natural occurring events or accidents.

What about the BP oil spill a few years back.

With cleanup....fines...compensation and giving funds for conservation the laws have changed in a positive direction for oil spills.

Not perfect...but.....