Cape Hatteras National Seashore (NC)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck

Reaction score
If you are not familiar with the Outer Banks of North Carolina, it is a string of barrier islands jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean.  Most of the southern portion is Cape Hatteras National Seashore and a few small towns.  There are 4 campgrounds in the national seashore as well as other campgrounds in the towns.  Campground fees in the national seashore are $20/night in Cape Point campground and $28/night in the other 3.  With an America the Beautiful pass it is half price.

You can drive directly to the first 3 campgrounds but to get to the 4th requires both driving (or biking) and a free ferry ride.

Up until Covid, it was easy to get a campsite. I don't know if the campgrounds will be more crowded this year or not.  The big rigs tend to stay away as only 1 of the campgrounds offers hook-ups. They all have cold showers and bathrooms.  I think one of the campgrounds may have added hot showers.

If I can get my house sold, I hope to spend the summer and part of the fall there. If any of you are thinking of going this summer, add to the thread and maybe we can organize a meetup.

Sounds like a wonderful time.

Are the campsites by reservation?

If first come first served basis, what is the best day to start your stay?

You said no hookups, but is there potable water? Are there grocery stores in the small towns, or should you plan on bringing everything with you as you would boondocking?

Thanks for the info.
-crofter

I have been on the Ferry but I have to admit, I don't recall the answer to my question. They do allow motorhomes on the Ferries?

All 4 campgrounds require reservations, but Cape Point campground encourages you to go to the campground, find an available site, and then make the reservation. That's because that campground has a problem with flooding from rain.  The other 3 require a reservation in advance.

There is potable water, but I don't know if anyone drinks it. On the northern end there is a Walmart, I'm guessing about 15 - 20 miles from a campground.  There are also Food Lion and other local grocery stores.  The campground on Ocracoke Island has fewer amenities, but you should be able to find what you need.

There are also seafood stores and lots of very good and fairly inexpensive seafood restaurants. The area is known for windsurfing, so that's something you can watch or try.  I believe you can also rent paddleboards, canoes, etc.  To go fishing you have to have a fishing license and to drive on the beach you have to get a permit. Without 4-wheel drive don't even think about it.

I know 2 of the campgrounds have free dump stations, and I think maybe Ocracoke has one as well. Just checked and Ocracoke does have a dump station and Oregon Inlet has hot showers.  Here's the link to the campgrounds.

https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/index.htm

we just did 6 days at Oregon Inlet campground. Nice. PIA to get to the beach, not SO easy when dragging alot of stuff but you can get ORV permit which is nice.....yes a ton of trucks on the beach for surf fishing for sure.
cool thread