Aliner campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeptraveler

Reaction score
Hello, been looking at Aliner campers. Does anyone have one ?  Does anyone fulltime in one and if so how do they hold up on the road and taking them up and down so much ?  Thanks

a few members have them. in fact if I remember correctly someone was just trying to sell one. highdesertranger

There is a Canadian on You Tube by the name of 'Slim Potatohead' might want ask questions.
I don't know if he full-times only seen a few of his vids, but he is creative with his rig. He made an ammo can wood stove.

I’m not the original poster, but I have some questions. :)

I will not be a full timer, but do long trips periodically. I started looking at vans (RoadTreks, Coachman, etc.) but find that I am feeling claustrophobic in them.

I will be doing this solo and am also on the smaller size...is it difficult to hitch? Ive never towed anything, but this little ALiner sure looks like it would be fun!

I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester than I believe has zero towing capabilities so would have to look at a small truck as well?

Thanks for your help,
Deb

DebC said:
I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester than I believe has zero towing capabilities so would have to look at a small truck as well?

i have had a couple Forresters and successfully pulled a pop-up camper (approx 1500 lbs) with no problem. i found it easier to navigate hills and such with my stick Forrester than with my auto transmission one.

i have also looked at the ALiners -- unloaded, the Scout Lite comes in at 1180 lbs.  and the Ranger 10 (the one i have considered) is 1225, unloaded.
note; no bathrooms in these but fresh water(sink), & grey tank and two burner cooktop (propane). also, my friends have one with an outside shower, so that's an option

I had a 1993 Chalet Alite which I believe was made near the end when Chalet and Aliner were the same company but soon split. We loved it. We had a small one, about 7' x 10'. I could spin it around in the driveway if it was empty. We drove through San Francisco without any problems it was so easy to tow and see around.

It was a pain to set things up and take down over and over. There were some issues with the build and we eventually sent it to salvage. We had purchased it used with problems - we replaced the floor and some other stuff. I am glad we owned one once, it was fun. There is a man on YouTube who lived in one with his wife until it broke down recently and they full timed. On the early camping lists way, way back there was a man who lived on someone's property full time in it for years. So it can be done. But - traveling and having to move stuff is exactly why we are building our cargo trailer RV with a spot for everything. Custom all the way.

According to Trailer Life's 2001 towing guide a 2001 Forrester has a 2,000 lb tow rating. I towed my 2006 Aliner LXE (1,700lbs fully loaded) with my 06 Chevy Cobalt 2.4l for well over 40,000 miles, and it only has a 1,000 lb manufacturer's suggested towing capacity. I recommend installing a transmission cooler (if you have an auto) and installing an electric brake controller and getting a trailer with electric brakes, whatever the weight. Some of the Aliner clones are not built like an Aliner so they are very heavy. Be sure to get the actual weight, not just the sticker weight inside, as they can be off by 500 lbs if you have every option under the sun like my LXE had.

Chip

Definitely check out Slim Potatohead's YouTube channel. His videos are excellent, he does a great job editing his videos. He has a lot of videos talking about his aliner, things he likes and doesn't as well as things he has done to improve it. I'm pretty sure he pulls it with a Jeep Liberty 4 cylinder. He has talked about how it lacks as a tow vehicle but it is what he has and he makes it work. He also seems to be able to get to some pretty remote areas with his setup. There is a video of him making his way through a snowy/icy road. He has a home base in Canada but does seem to make some long trips with the aliner. He has put a lot of miles on it. There is a video where he talked about how the wind goes right through it. He used pool noodles to help seal it up. He also put a shower in it.

We had a Chalet (same as A liner ) in the late 90's--before we upgraded to a van.

Problems we had with it included:

* Extremely difficult to setup in high wind (Death Valley)--we had to tie a rope through one of the wheel rims and across the closed trailer before opening it.  This required 2 people:  one to slowly let-out the rope while the other person did a VERY tricky setup and lockdown of the side panels.

* Counter height is lower than a normal trailer--after awhile this may result in back pain if you are over about 5' 8" tall.

* The roof vents take quite a beating while driving--this is because the air flow is trying to force them open.

* Towing can be a major pain when you try to get into those nifty (and smaller) campgrounds and pullouts....a camper van is FAR superior  IMHO.

* When your wife needs a bathroom while on the road....You may need to set it up in a hurry.

Overall we had some fun with it, but I would not recommend them.   If you really need the extra room, I'd suggest you go with a small popup (canvas sides) trailer--more sleeping space, shorter tow height, lighter and easier to tow.   With just two people though, the flexibility of a camper van is just so much better.  YMMV

jeeptraveler said:
Hello, been looking at Aliner campers. Does anyone have one ?  Does anyone fulltime in one and if so how do they hold up on the road and taking them up and down so much ?  Thanks

I have been in my Aliner Expedition on the road since September 7th.  It works perfect for me. I do have some issues that I tolerate, but for my mode of travel it is super. The way I travel is I never set it up and stay for very long in one place. I pretty much leave everything internally in its place. If you get out pots and pans to use them put them away when done.  I have an F-150 that I store clothing and personal items in.  Only food items go in the aliner.
I have seen videos on YouTube where people build shelves and do all kinds of things to the inside that require storage of said equipment to close it up and travel to the next site. In my opinion that is not what an Aliner is for.  I have seen someone take 4 hours to get their Aliner set up.  Chairs, tables, lights .rugs, coolers, etc.  If I had to do that much work,  I would just get a regular travel trailer.  
Bottom line, if you want to camp in total comfort and have screen rooms and everything else, do not get an Aliner unless you want to use your tow vehicle to carry all the extra accessories.  
I would suggest you go to YouTube and watch some videos on how people modify their
Aliners.  I think it will be enlightening.  
Average Alice, Slim PotatohePot, Going Nowhwer Fast and others.

Yup, have a 2015 Ranger 10, towed by a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Solar, 60# propane, extra water jugs...boondocking only. Leaving solo this November for RTR and six months of adventures. No a/c, outside shower. Sets up in 30 seconds.

Slim Potatohead is a wealth of information. The others aren't worth it.