Adult RUNAWAYS?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HarmonicaBruce said:
Just keep in mind that as you go down the road the "man" can pull you over, impound your vehicle/home, and good luck to you getting anything back. You don't have to do anything wrong, except be in the wrong place (i.e. America). For example, the bankrupt city of Detroit finances the police department by impounding vehicles. They need zero probable cause, it's very well documented. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20091113/METRO/911130372
This story is old, but nothing has changed.

Guilty because she made "eye contact"with other motorists? We are in deep trouble.
The conflict of interest is sickening and who is the most vulnerable, not the guy from the burbs but the people like the old guy in the story who is just trying to survive. They own the system so what happens when their pay check, medical, vacation, and retirement are on the line?

They go after more money from the peasants who cant defend themselves. Corporations own the government, corps send jobs out with gov approval, tax revenue falls from low wages and it has to come from somewhere. Cops dont want to be laid off. There will be no crash as they are doing fine at gutting our country through inflation and corporate control.

caseyc said:
Thanks, I will add all those locations for places I will never drive through. Dang, that's just freakin' nuts. Also nutty is driving around with so much cash on hand.

Only problem is......what happens when we can't stay out of places like that. What happens when there is nowhere else. Its not a matter of how much money a person has on them, its a matter of our rights and how they are being taken away. I'm not guilty of anything when I drove from Hamtramck to taylor Mi to buy a motorcycle with $4,000 on me. Why should I be at risk of losing it to gangsters who are no different then the gangsters and criminals our tax money is paying to protect us from. Again, we are in deep trouble. The beast will consume all.

offroad said:
So are we all just fantasizing about running away from the rat race, when we think of changing lifestyle from 8 to 5 job, to a car-van-RV existence ?  Some can just convert to simple living in a tiny house. Is this a long term sustainable lifestyle?

I ran toward creating my life as I want it, rather than away from anything...sustainable? - far more than the stick and brick life!...that was sucking me dry ...in more ways than financially....

I think it's best to find your own niche.Everybody has different likes/dislikes.There is an old story that you can't have it both ways,but right now it is working for me.A few weeks on the farm,then a few weeks on the road.My expenses on the road are much more than my expenses at home,so sometimes I just come home to replenish my money.Have to admit,I also like the 670 sq.ft of living space and woods to roam in.

“stick and brick life!...that was sucking me dry”

We must do whats socialy acceptable.
We must go with the grain.
“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both   And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could  To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,  And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;  Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay   In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,   I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh    Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,   And that has made all the difference.”

“A few weeks on the farm, then a few weeks on the road”
What kind of farm ? I adore farm life.

I remember looking at an old National Geographic Magazine at a used bookstore once.  It had Mark Twain's picture on the cover and I couldn't help look through it.   If ever there was an Adult Runaway,  Twain was
probably a Hero for them. 

I remember this one quote panel on one of the pages where Twain offered a sympathetic observation for
the Men of the post Civil War era and coming 20th Century.  He was saying something to the effect of

"Modern Men of the Industrial Revolution lack the ability to step back from their lives and pursue a new
perspective."  (again this isn't his exact quote but close to it)

Twain had done many things in his times.  But leaving the Civil War and his river boat captain life behind
to travel with his brother Orion to the Nevada territory, was the beginning of his career as a journalist. 
His brother would be the secretary of the Nevada territory and it would be Mark Twain's starting point
for travel, adventure, enlightenment, and writing.   He was a supporter and believer in technology and
could see it expanding a large frontier in his time.  If he were alive today he may be an avid supporter
of the Tiny Homes, and Mobile Society who is learning to shrink what has grown over expanded similarly.

The seniority system that is so prevalent in industry today tends to trap Men in jobs that they really don't care for.  It may offer a worker a little better standing when it comes to lay off's and his choices of better jobs,
but really doesn't contribute that much to his income.  Most people today find it a very fragile thing and often
destroyed when the company wants to close or move.  A lot of companies today have a clause which states
that if you are laid off for a given number of months, then you are automatically terminated.

If this happens to a worker, they may at first feel let down but they are actually free to pursue that new perspective. They can outfit a Van or whatever and travel to see if they could find a better life.  It is tempting to stay in the same place "where all the friends are",  but is that really gong to be productive for them ?

offroad said:
So are we all just fantasizing about running away from the rat race, when we think of changing lifestyle from 8 to 5 job, to a car-van-RV existence ?  Some can just convert to simple living in a tiny house. Is this a long term sustainable lifestyle?

We've been living in a 32 ft class A for 2 years, and I am NOT easy to live with in a small space where it is harder to keep everything tidy. Neither DH nor I are ready to even think about going back.

That is exactly what I have been calling my plan, I am running away from home. The hustle and bustle of corporate America just doesn't work for me anymore and I think there has to be more to life than this. I don't know if it will work for me but if I'm not happy with life running around like crazy working too hard and enjoying life so little then why not give it a try? It's different for everyone.

I am with you Cheli. I am running away from bs that has no meaning for me anymore. Too much stuff, not enough joy.

I have run away and I don't have to go back. The taste of freedom intoxicates me.
On the road, 80 percent boon docking since Feb of 2015.
I live in a very small camper, 2 furbabies an SUV and everything paid for. I didn't even keep a storage place like a lot of people do. I cut a lot of people out of my life. Finally decided I wouldn't let them have power over me anymore.

And who determines what is sustainable. I was talking to someone about buying a tiny house and he said "and your going to move your teenage daughter into 240 sq ft." My response was why not, we lived in 60 sq ft. before!

Yes it is sustainable. We full-timed for 7 years going back and forth across the country. We lived in RV's and went smaller each time and made the mistake of being sucked back into the stick and brick world about 8 years ago. I have had the call of the road screaming at me bad for the last 2 years and finally bought a van to set off in. I sat down and figured the true cost of the house and with a note under 700 a month it cost us 20K a year just to keep this SOB! That is insane, not to mention the time and energy involved, and for what? I feel I have built my prison brick by brick and mortared it together with blood and money. 

I am building the van and buying a tiny TT for her to base out of to finish up her job to get early retirement. We can save 10K off the top and set her up in a local park. The cost of being owned by the house would more than fund our life on the road! Fortunately, we are still young enough to make this work and live a purposeful life. To those of you doing it, I salute you and hope to see you next year at RTR.

I personally love having a "home base" and I also love long extended road trips with no end dates. I worked extremely hard from 16-32 before becoming disabled, so I was fortunate enough to pay my mortgage off in that time so my expenses are pretty low. As my health improves, I find myself itching to be back out on the open road and debating relocating to the west coast.

ERLH: I am so interested in your comment abt leaving your home for extended periods. What do you do to leave your home in terms of security, upkeep, cutting the grass, etc, etc? Do you rely on family or friends, or what?

Thanks for your comments!

speedhighway46 said:
ERLH: I am so interested in your comment abt leaving your home for extended periods. What do you do to leave your home in terms of security, upkeep, cutting the grass, etc, etc? Do you rely on family or friends, or what?

Thanks for your comments!
When I leave my house in Maine, I drain the pipes/heating system if it's the winter.   A local landscaper plows the driveway and cuts the lawn as needed and now that i've known him for a few years will stop in and check up on the place if he hasn't seen me there in a awhile. He'll usually text me a picture of the lawn or driveway after he does his work, so it's a nice piece of mind. I throw him a few hundred extra at Christmas time and that is money well spent in my opinion.  I have had a few break ins, seems like they only want electronics as thats all that's ever been taken is a few cheap tvs  

My uncle lives in Alaska and now leaves for the winters.  His property is a bit more rural with a long driveway, so he does the same, empties pipes, uses the game camera signs and installed a gate at the end of his driveway to make it a little harder for anyone wanting to do what they shouldnt be doing.  

However, the cop suggested I put a sign up that says "game camera in use" and even use them if I was so inclined.  Never got around to buying one, but did put the sign up a few years back and haven't had a break in since.  People are leery of being photographed by a hidden camera I guess.

Hi folks........I owned my first home in SD from 1986 into 1996.  At that time I worked in SD at anything I could to stay in the area and work on my home as it had sat empty for 8yrs. when I bought it and really needed attention.     I would go back to Tx in the fall and work until spring, usually at 1 to 3 jobs to get $$$$$ to go north to work/live in my house.

I had good friends from SD who I met when they came to to TX,  They had "retired" in a ext. cab pickup and new 35ft. T.T   both were working within a few mos....... due to boredom I think.

This is what we did each fall that I went south.

1   turn off all water to the house 
2   drain the hot water heater
3   my friend would use compressed air to blow out the water lines while the faucets were open 
4    pour pink RV water drain antifreeze in all the sinks & tub pipes
5     pour in partially drained toilet tank and flush...then pour antifreeze in to toilet bowl
            WE USED A LOT OF ANTIFREEZE...IT WAS CHEAP BACK THEN
6      TURN OFF THE FURNACE.

I never had a freeze up in 7yrs.  The above steps are out of order however if you just move #5 above #3  I think that's it as far as shutting down the house. 

We did this no matter the season unless it was warm and they were also in SD,  in case I didn't get back they would shut it down for me. Waldo also did lawn work P.T.  and would mow my yard and keep a eye on the house.

One year we were all in TX and the yard wasn't mowed for several mos.....no ticket from the town was waiting for me or a mowing bill.  We had to hack a path to the back door......a little later I heard 2 mowers going,  Waldo and one neighbor I didn't know plus another one bringing tools to use....I am from the south and live here now.......we pride ourselves on Southern Hospitality however Northern Hospitality was and is alive and well in Hurley SD.  I think I'll call up there right now!

If I am unable to run away or is it run to a life on wheels 24/7  I may just move north for the spring thru fall and drag my happy self down to TX for the cold weather season.

Now I'm Done!               :)                     Jewellann

My only concern is to NOT be a burden on my children.

Honestly, I won't seek medical attention if I am having heart trouble..etc.

My great grandma did that. She had a somewhat mild heart attack on a Friday. Called family over the weekend, settled her affairs. Forbid anyone from taking her to the hospital. The next and more massive heart attack came on Monday night. Her choice.

My 2cents,

Joining the Rat Race starts early with Parents saving for the kids  }}} College Education {{{.   Then raising him/her to be a determined, respectable, and competent achiever.  The education will likely prepare the youth for a job in "corporate business" only where he will be expected to pursue the "golden carrot" until his mid 60's or longer.  (and often for far more than 40 hours a week)   A lot of people doing this now are beginning to realize it is as rigged as the investment banking industry.

I've known a few families who made sure that their kids got a trades education where they could travel anywhere, work from a Union Hall etc, (or non union if they wanted)  and then got them a 2 year Business
School education so they could be better with their trade. (work self employed)   They could always go back to Business School for two more years to get a "Bachelors" degree in Business and use it with their trade.  Thus they could work for a firm at their trade or in some administrative capacity if they chose to do so.  

There are those I've known those who went to college and acqauired a couple of Masters Degrees and rarely made more than $15 dollars an hour,  while the guy who carried the mail and delivered it to their office was making $30 an hour (and got all the overtime he wanted).   The Mail Man could bid and travel to other areas for work where the  well educated Corporate worker was trapped with his company hoping and praying he would be able to retire and get a pension. (with no real assurance that that would happen)  Often businesses just purchase Annuity  policies to serve as pensions for employees and those employees could purchase their own and have a lot more control over their retirement.  This is where a lot of these faithful employees find their "golden carrot" at retirement is more like a "golden raisin".

There is one woman in my area who was famous for telling her son that if he doesn't go to college and get a degree,  he'll have to dig ditches.   He went and got the degree and taught school for a couple of years.   Hated it and quit. (a lot of that was due to the low pay and BS he had to put up with)   He found work with a
sewer company working in the field doing what else,  digging ditches.   He now makes over $20 an hour. (nearly twice what he was making)

Trades such as "electrician".  "Carpenter",  "Plumber", "HVAC", "Welder",  "Mechanic", "Photographer", "VA" (virtual assistant with office skills or accounting), etc will always be in demand.   If he wants to travel,  he can work around the USA and see the country as he works.  He may even be able to travel to other countries and work. 

If this is all grounds for being an "Adult Runaway" who can beat the time of all the other Lobsters & Crabs still trapped in the pot with their fancy educations and "seniority",  then I'd be inclined to call this being an "Adult Running Towards a Better Life".

eDJ_ said:
My 2cents,

Joining the Rat Race starts early with Parents saving for the kids  }}} College Education {{{.   Then raising him/her to be a determined, respectable, and competent achiever.  The education will likely prepare the youth for a job in "corporate business" only where he will be expected to pursue the "golden carrot" until his mid 60's or longer.  (and often for far more than 40 hours a week)   A lot of people doing this now are beginning to realize it is as rigged as the investment banking industry.

This is sooooo true and what I've been saying since I decided I want to run away from home, hence my blog title.  hahaha

I did all of this.  My parents told me I had to "make something" of myself.  I started working full time right out of school, kept moving up the ladder over the years.  Ten years out of high school decided to put myself through college to move up that ladder faster.  I worked full time and went to school full time nights to earn my degree.  Kept moving up that ladder.  I'm now 46 and do pretty well for myself.  On the outside people would think I have a pretty nice life, and I do.  I have a nice home, newish car, great job that makes great money, I have all the things in my home that most would consider beautiful, I go camping, go to lots of concerts, go on vacations.....all the things that mark one as 'successful'.

But I sit here and feel like I'm missing so much, that there has to be more to life than living this rat race.  Am I terrified about leaving a great paying and secure job and giving up everything I own to live in a van and travel the country?  YES!!!!  But I think once I get past that initial fear, it will be the best thing I have ever done with my life.

It gets pounded in our heads at a young age what "normal" is but it's all a scam.  It's time to live life to the fullest and amazing experiences is far richer than having a secure job and living on auto mode.