Adding R-134a

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
My Chevy Suburban needs some work and I can't afford to get everything done right now (trying to catch up financially after being out having a shoulder replacement).  The AC isn't blowing cold and that's one thing that I'm taking off the list for the mechanic since it's a want and not a need (even when it's 95 out).  What's the likelihood that adding R-134a to the system will get the cool back?  Also, this is something I've never done before and I'm still dealing with a healing broken wing so is this feasible for me to do by myself?  I've watched a few videos and it doesn't seem that difficult.  Thanks

mothercoder said:
My Chevy Suburban needs some work and I can't afford to get everything done right now (trying to catch up financially after being out having a shoulder replacement).  The AC isn't blowing cold and that's one thing that I'm taking off the list for the mechanic since it's a want and not a need (even when it's 95 out).  What's the likelihood that adding R-134a to the system will get the cool back?  Also, this is something I've never done before and I'm still dealing with a healing broken wing so is this feasible for me to do by myself?  I've watched a few videos and it doesn't seem that difficult.  Thanks
It is easy, but I think you should have somebody that has done it before with you for at least the first time. A charge should get the cool back, but for how long? Usually the lack of cool is caused by a leak somewhere. It's still worth trying though. A recharge kit is usually under $20. and will give you an idea of where you're at with it. If it works briefly, then gets warm again, you will need somebody with an A/C vacuum pump to draw it down and do a leak test. It can be anything from a loose fitting, bad hose, or bad compressor.

If you have to add it, then there's a leak somewhere. To do the job right, the leak needs to be found, fixed and a vacuum pulled on the system to suck out the air and then refilled.

Thanks. I don't know anyone who has done this before so I would definitely be on my own. Perhaps it's just better to suck it up until next month when I can get it done. And in the meantime I'll plug in my 12v Fantastic Breeze fan and bungee it to the passenger's door. LOL

mothercoder said:
Thanks.  I don't know anyone who has done this before so I would definitely be on my own.  

My biggest concern is you said you have a broken wing? You will be working under the hood with the engine running if you do this. Watch a couple youtube videos about charging the A/C to see if you think you can do this.

Ballenxj said:
My biggest concern is you said you have a broken wing? You will be working under the hood with the engine running if you do this. Watch a couple youtube videos about charging the A/C to see if you think you can do this.

Yeah, I shattered my right shoulder a couple months ago and had to have surgery.  So I'm still pretty limited on how I can move my arm.  I've watched the videos and they always make tings look easy.  But a mechanic buddy just told me that it might be best to leave it alone considering my limitations.  I'm gonna bungee that Endless Breeze fan to my passenger door so it's facing me and maybe I'll survive.  lol

Having an AC tech look it over is best. But at $200-400, IMO, not worth it.

I've recharged the coolant on several vehicles. It has worked well on all. Some needed a yearly or bi-annual recharge. At~ $20- $30 a can, I'm money ahead.

Belts pulleys and the AC pump unit itself may be at fault too. ? Even a fuse can be blown?
Leaks will show soon enough if you cant keep it running cool.
Then its time for a mechanic.
Make sure your system is actually turning on and the belt is good and pump is turning.

Start your vehicle, turn the AC to MAX COOL, find the AC port under the hood, unscrew the cap, clean off the fitting, snap the hose from the R-134a can onto the port and fill the system. The engine needs to be running and the AC on full blast, so be extra careful!
Check inside for cool air blowing from the vents. If its cool, your system is active until it leaks again.

You might ask your local parts store (Parts Plus, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc., offer some free parking lot fixes for things like wipers, systems checks, headlight replacement) I don't think a quick AC recharge is out of the question?

I'm not sure how much of disability you are under with the bad arm? If you can hold the can and clip on the hose, you'll be fine.
Recharging mine today. At idle, it wont keep cool.

gargoyle said:
Having an AC tech look it over is best. But at $200-400, IMO, not worth  it.

I've recharged the coolant on several vehicles. It has worked well on all. Some needed a yearly or bi-annual recharge. At~ $20- $30 a can, I'm money ahead.

Belts pulleys and the AC pump unit itself may be at fault too. ? Even a fuse can be blown?
Leaks will show soon enough if you cant keep it running cool.
Then its time for a mechanic.
Make sure your system is actually turning on and the belt is good and pump is turning.  

Start your vehicle, turn the AC to MAX COOL, find the AC port under the hood, unscrew the cap, clean off the fitting, snap the hose from the R-134a can onto the port and fill the system. The engine needs to be running and the AC on full blast, so be extra careful!
Check inside for cool air blowing from the vents. If its cool, your system is active until it leaks again.

You might ask your local parts store (Parts Plus, AutoZone, O'Reilly's,  etc., offer some free parking lot fixes for things like wipers, systems checks, headlight replacement) I don't think a quick AC recharge is out of the question?

I'm not sure how much of disability you are under with the bad arm? If you can hold the can and clip on the hose, you'll be fine.
Recharging mine today. At idle, it wont keep cool.

Yes, the quote I'm getting to check for a leak and recharge is about $300.  Too rich for my blood right now.  That's why I thought spending the $20 would be worth it.

I guess what I'm going to have to do before I get the refrigerant (if I do) is to pop the hood and mimic the actions.  The biggest issue I think will be that I don't have much forward reach with my right arm right now.  So if I need two hands in order to clip on the hose and the reach is to far, then I'm screwed.

If the arm that's limited is your primary use arm you are probably going to find it difficult, you have to pull the lock ring back while pressing the fill nozzle in place and then release, which might be hard with your 'dumb' hand, but if your good hand is not the limited one, you might be fine, depending on location of the fill port

I watched a guy at auto zone fill the refrigerant in my car and the kit had a hose with it and he said if I ever did it myself to hold the can upside down when you fill it or else Id be wasting some of it. Just a tip. Seemed to work great but dont know if its possible in your situation. Take care!!

IF you lost Freon you also lost oil. If you add Freon add freon with oil or you might burn out your compressor for lack of oil 

Don't hold the can upside down! You want to charge with gas Freon. The can upside down can -- will charge liquid into the low side and that can damage the compressor. Use one of the kits that have a gauge and short hose. You do not want to blow the seals, so monitor the pressure while you recharge. Hook every thing up before starting the engine, then slowly open the valve. It is that easy, but just as easy to get hurt.

if you are low on Freon you have a leak. if you have a leak and do a recharge you are wasting your money. not to mention you are releasing R-134 into the atmosphere. R-134 is better than R-12 but it is still not "GOOD" for the environment. highdesertranger

I am a car noob and I managed to recharge my unit after it had been sat for 18 months. Now it blows icy cold again. You can do it! Even if it's only a quick fix, you probably have a slow leak and will be alright for a while before it needs servicing again.