Adding Hi top to van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibu surfer

Reaction score
I am not a new member, just has to put a space in my user name due to loosing all info on a computer crash.... 
Anyway, I used to have a 89' E250 that I converted to a stealth getaway van that I used quite frequently to SoCal to urban camp and hang at the beach. I sold it a few months ago and found a new project. 91' E150 with 125k miles and got it Ford $450!! Needed a few things to get to it running but it drove from socal to so Oregon with zero issues.

My last van always seemed a bit cramped and wanted to try a hi top. I posted a CL ad looking for a hi top and got a response less than 24 hrs later... 
Guy was selling it as a Econoline top for $50!! Could not pass it up and grabbed it. Well after fitting top on and it being WAY off, I discovered it was a Chevy top. I was not going to give up and grabbed the sawsall and started trimming the bottom lip until it fit (chevys are longer and top sits in a gutter all the way around. I trimmed and reset on Van quite a few times and took off a total of 4" (friend has a auto lift that made job way easier!!)!! It now fits but does need some minor glass work to re curve corners as they had to be notched to fit.

Moral of story. A Chevy top will fit a Ford with some finagling!!!
I have more pics if anyone is interested and more in depth breakdown of how I did it.
Here is the way it sits now.

I would get it mounted as good as you can and then just fill in the gaps with great stuff foam , then fibreglass over the foam..

So did it fit in the gutters perfectly all the way around except for the rear?
It would be nice to see some pictures of where it dont fit , up close.

Corners do not fit perfect. The Ford is more square at the front (these generation vans, Chevys had a gutter all the way around) whereas Fords are not as round. Rear corners are the same so had to cut corners out to fit. Luckily this top angled in, in all directions for quite a ways so I could get sides to drop in gutters and get some mastic on, and about 100 SS screws holding it down. Will blend some glass in and find some trim pieces to cover a and clean up screws. 
I am a painter and fiberglass guy, so no worries on that end!! Going to raise van up about 2" and level it, get slightly bigger tires, and then paint entire van (hi top same color as van). Doing custom interior as well with all the electrical goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    1.3 MB
Desertranger thank you!! I looked and looked for that moulding and could not find it anywhere...