Acorns and solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpa pete

Reaction score
Today I was out in the van working on the interior and several times I got a loud bang on the roof from acorns falling on the roof of the van .
The tree is about 60 feet tall .
I have three 100 watt panels in the garage that I intend to put on the van roof .
has anyone had acorns break a solar panel ?????

I am considering putting a sheet of 1/4 inch plexiglass over the panels...….

The only way an acorn is going to damage your panel is if the tree is still attached to it when it falls. And that might only break the mounts.

do not put Plexiglas over the panel it will cut your output way down. highdesertranger

B and C said:
Solar panels are rated for hail.

I can attest to that. I got stuck in a hail storm that put a couple of dents in my hood but didn't harm the panel.

MrNoodly said:
I can attest to that. I got stuck in a hail storm that put a couple of dents in my hood but didn't harm the panel.

Thankyou for the input...…..if the acorns ever start denting the hood of the van I will start worrying again :)

"On to each panel a little acorn shall fall" nothing to worry about, they can take it.
I've had a small branch land on mine and wake me out of a comatose sleep and it was just fine.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Here are two short videos of hail tests on solar panels.

This first video is of a panel from an unnamed brand put out by a third party. They actually do manage to break it, but not by using ice. The first break is from a hard, plastic sphere. The second break is from a steel ball.

The second video is a manufacturer showing off the punishment their panels can take, still a good illustration of how tough solar panels are, even if it is showing them in the best light possible.

sephson said:
Here are two short videos of hail tests on solar panels.

This first video is of a panel from an unnamed brand put out by a third party. They actually do manage to break it, but not by using ice. The first break is from a hard, plastic sphere. The second break is from a steel ball.

The second video is a manufacturer showing off the punishment their panels can take, still a good illustration of how tough solar panels are, even if it is showing them in the best light possible.

Great videos ..Thankyou …..I can relax and install the three 100 watt Renogy"s :)

grandpa pete said:
Today I was out in the van working on the interior and several times I got a loud bang on the roof from acorns falling on the roof of the van .
The tree is about 60 feet tall .
I have three 100 watt panels in the garage that I intend to put on the van roof .
has anyone had acorns break a solar panel ?????

I am considering putting a sheet of 1/4 inch plexiglass over the panels...….

no problem with peanut sized hail. heck i've noticed that a few inches of dirt will reduce your power and if you're in series....

I had a squirrel drop a black walnut on my Renogy 100 watt panel. No damage. Pine sap must be removed with a razor blade.