A Women's RTR!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suanne said:
... many women ... share the same rig with a male.  So, we will request that they camp in the same general area together.  That way the women in those rigs may attend the WRTR.  Other areas will be for women-only camping.  Locations will be announced at the main RTR ...

At yesterday morning's meeting, camping/parking locations for the Women's RTR (WRTR) were announced.

The Main Camp for the WRTR is the same area as the Main RTR Camp.  The Main Camp includes the fire ring and the area taped off for staff, presenters, sound equipment, and meetings.  East of the Main Camp is for rigs with men in them (shared with women, Matt our sound guy, Bob, etc.).   West of the Main Camp is for women only.   The east/west delineator is the large Palo Verde Tree just east of the bulletin board, the approximate middle of the Main Camp.

Camping/Parking for the WRTR is bordered on the north and south by the two roads on either side of the Main Camp.

Disabled parking is just south of the Main Camp.

Suanne, I don't really read the forum and didn't know about and therefor didn't plan well enough to stay for the WRTR (sadly).  I loved the one women's meeting I was able to attend and I hope next year includes both a WRTR and more women's meetings during the regular gathering.  

If the loud music thing is managed I plan to return next year and I'll pay better attention in addition to spreading the word about 'women only' events.  We really do need to learn from each other and share confidence building stories and knowledge.  

Thank you for using your time and energy to make this happen.

Wrap-Up with Some Numbers from the 2018 Women's RTR

• At the first day's Orientation, Lisa counted 196 participants.  I had several more women approach me later saying they missed the Orientation.  So, we had 200+ participants over the 3-day event.  This is totally amazing because we promoted the WRTR only twice -- here on the forum, and by Bob on a video.
  • About 20 pre-event volunteers graciously signed-up to present and manage various functions during the WRTR.   As you'll see going down this list, most everyone at the WRTR eventually played some role in mentoring, coaching, encouraging, breaking camp, cleaning up, etc.
  • 5 Mini-Sessions were offered during the first afternoon by experienced vandwellers. Each 20-minute mini-session was repeated 3 times so that attendees could go to more than one (1).  After the mini-sessions, we had some dancing.
  • 35 Small-Group Mentoring Slots were filled during the second and last days of the WRTR (2).
  • 2 Panels were offered on the second day, Personal Hygiene in the morning, and Safety in the afternoon.  Three to four women on each of the panels presented their strategies and experiences, then participants asked questions and offered their perspectives.
  • 4 morning and evening networking opportunities with food and drink to share.
  • 4 campfires were enjoyed, morning and evening.  The last evening campfire included roasted marshmallows and a sing-a-long with instruments.
  • 4 Sheets of Needs were collected and will be available for view on a password-protected page.
  • 2 Sheets of Offerings were collected and will be available for view on a password-protected page.
I'm already looking forward to our next WRTR!

For the most up-to-date WRTR information, go to http://www.cheaprvliving.com/womensrtr.

Suanne ... resting up in a beautiful location

(1) Mini-Sessions included: Alternate Cooking Methods; Cheap Cooking for One; Power Tools; Maps & Apps; Safe Food Storage Without Refrigeration.

(2) Mentoring Sessions included: Solar Cooking; Simple Living Set-Up in a Minivan; Cooking with Steam; Planning for Artists to Travel Together; Event Planning; Reaching Goals and Releasing Stress; Managing Psychiatric Disability on the Road; Income on the Road; Organizing; Headscarfing; Separation Toilet/Potty; Cheap and Nontoxic Cleaning Methods; Practically Free Solar; "If I can do it, you can do it" Open House; Sound Meditation; Navigation without GPS or Phone; Basic First Aid and Field Hygiene; Prius Set-Up and Demo Bathroom; Boondocking; Q & A about Vandweller Lifestyle; Planning for Newbies to Camp Together after WRTR; Beginner's Luck/Don't Give Up; Hair Wrapping; Solar/Electricity; Safety Q & A; Budget and Personal Project Planning; Blogging, Affiliate Marketing, and YouTube for Money.

Suanne said:
Wrap-Up with Some Numbers from the 2018 Women's RTR

After you rest up for a while, would you consider a summer meet up?

Here is a recently published video about last January's Women's Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (WRTR), about what we did and why. It also provides a little peek into the plans for next year's WRTR.

I hope to see all of us CheapRVLiving Forum women out there learning and making community next January in Quartzsite, AZ.

The latest updates are posted at http://www.cheaprvliving.com/womensrtr.

I'd love to hear about all of the subjects you list, but if I had to choose the most important to me it would be the following, especially the mentoring after RTR, which could include setting up a tent.

- Mentoring after RTR. Matching up an experienced vandweller with a newbie for a short period of time (e.g., one week),
- How to pitch a tent properly whether it's a privacy tent or a sleeping tent,
- How to do basic vehicle maintenance: use a compressor to air up a tire, check tire pressure, and check the oil etc.,
- Meal planning for one and cheaply,
- Safe food storage when you don't have a full-size fridge,
- How to find places beyond Quartzsite for laundry, water, trash, ice, etc.,
- Map reading when finding places to camp,

In addition, how to organize your vehicle/campsite for maximum efficiency and minimum frustration both setting up camp and while driving. Any and all hacks gals have found that help them enjoy the lifestyle. I've never been to RTR, haven't started vandwelling but I keep hoping and am storing up lots of tips and how-tos for when I do. The forum has been an invaluable resource. I will be able to avoid a lot of mistakes thanks to the advice. Thanks for all you do. I respect and trust your leadership, Bob and Suann!

Any dates yet on 2019 Womens' RTR? I watched the youtube vid & went to the link listed but can't see the date any where..... need to make plans

Waiting on permits. Don't worry. The minute the permits are in hand an announcement will be made.

I can tell you the dates and location we applied for the WRTR. These are tentative until we get final approval from the BLM.

Likely dates for WRTR: January 4-8 (before the main RTR which will likely be Jan 9-20).
Likely location for WRTR: Bouse (To satisfy BLM requirements, we can not be in the same location as the main RTR in Quartzsite).

If you are a woman new to the vandwelling lifestyle, you are strongly encouraged to attend both the WRTR and the RTR. These are not duplicative events. That is, there's information taught at the RTR that is foundational to your success in the vandwelling lifestyle. The WRTR is being held before the regular RTR so that you can form a support group of other women with whom to group together to form your own small neighborhood among the crowds at the main RTR.

I'm getting excited for January in Arizona!

Suanne said:
<snip>
Likely dates for WRTR:  January 4-8 (before the main RTR which will likely be Jan 9-20).
Likely location for WRTR:  Bouse (To satisfy BLM requirements, we can not be in the same location as the main RTR in Quartzsite).
<snip>
:heart: :) :heart: :D :heart: :) :heart:
Not only different topics are shared, but the friendships built are more intimate than a passing on the wash sharing a flashlight beam :)

Thnk you so much. All above topics will be great for me. First time RTR. Will be there - sleeping in my blazer.

How does tent-camping fair there? Are the winds doable? I can go inside but I love my tent. Thanks.

^
The winds can be brutal. 45-55 mph gusts are not unusual. Be sure to look at the ratings when looking to purchase

LivGolden said:
How does tent-camping fair there? Are the winds doable? I can go inside but I love my tent. Thanks.

I've seen several posts/videos about women tent camping at the RTR.  It's do-able! :)

I really enjoy my tent. I bring two and both have faired well in high winds. Good. Thank you!  :D

I just moved into a tent a few days ago. I'm in a state park at the moment because I'm getting all kinds of stuff done in "town." It's incredibly loud, compared to sleeping in the truck cab. And the rain fly, which I need because it does rain every night, makes a racket fluttering in the breeze. A squalling baby in the next loop. Teenagers having a great time! I-25 makes a bloody racket. I actually welcomed the wild storm we had last night, because at least it drowned out the human noise. We are such a noisy species!

But I'm grateful for the shelter. I hate it that there are those who must sleep in the open, night after night. When I get back into my trailer, I will happily pass this good tent on, if anyone is in need.

The Dire Wolfess

lol...I sleep best in my tent and noise doesn't bother me, at all - with the exception of couples on their honeymoon. Yes, that actually happened.  :-/

I'm glad you posted. I'm not in my tent on this trip and have insomnia. I just drove through a WalMart parking lot and parked there was a beautiful Mercedes Van - very large. But it was running. It was running so hard that zthere was a huge pool of water beneath. I can understand a small amount from s the a/c, which was apparently running but this puddle was large and flowing. I wondered if I should knock on the window but was afraid I might startle someone unnecessarily. Can you run your a/c all night? I don't know. I hope everything is okay by morning for them. 

Beautiful van. Now I want one. :cool:

I used to have one of those Mercedes Sprinter vans. Traveled for 3 1/2 years in one. The reason the engine was on is there is a second alternator in some builds that acts as a generator off the diesel engine. That can run the roof AC unit, 11,000 BTU, and it does suck tons of water out of the air, very good air conditioner indeed. Dumps it on the ground. I once did a bunch of research on the possibility of recovering air conditioner water for reuse, since I hate to waste water. Can be done, but there are some very small molecule contaminants that you'd have to have a micron filter to remove. But I'm still thinking about it ;-) Maybe distillation....

The Dire Wolfess

Thanks for your response. I was really worried about them but it was after midnight and so I didn't want to intrude. Today, I met a Fed Ex guy driving the same van. I asked him if he could run his a/c all night if necessary. He said he would not advise it but he doesn't live in one. Who knows...I don't think I'd risk it but-

Nice, roomy van, though. The FER guy gave me a tour. Pricey...:)