a rockin stereo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary68

Reaction score
a modern car stereo hooked to 2-4 6x9 and a couple 6" speakers
would this be a major power hog or doable?

i tried the boat forums but they started talking sternwakian and lost me

Shoot, nowadays, my idea of high fidelity is turning the streaming audio on my phone up high. I need a life.
Ted

Gary68 said:
a modern car stereo hooked to 2-4 6x9 and a couple 6" speakers
would this be a major power hog or doable?

i tried the boat forums but they started talking sternwakian and lost me

This seems specific enough to be measurable, but not so technical that it can't be absorbed by a layman. See if it's any help to you:

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-12v-battery-run-a-1000w-stereo-system

I don't have exact figures with the stereo you have. most stereos and their built in amps don't draw a huge amount of power unless you use auxiliary amps. the more volume the more power it takes. what size is the main fuse? if you don't have the specs you might find them by searching the net. highdesertranger

would that be 10 amps per hour?

a 100 amp hour battery = 50 usable amp hour so 5 hours of use? thats more then i would need

i'm planning on 2x 12v or 2x 6v and just that fridge as a constant draw

Gary68 said:
would that be 10 amps per hour?

a 100 amp hour battery = 50 usable amp hour so 5 hours of use? thats more then i would need

i'm planning on 2x 12v or 2x 6v and just that fridge as a constant draw

That sounds right to me. But, I'm a newb so what do I know? lol :) 

I found this page, which goes through various calculations in a very accessible manner. The page has a transcript if you're not a video person, but there's also a video where she talks you though it and, at least for me, I found it easy to follow:

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2016/09/what-can-i-power-100w-solar-panel/

Hope that's helpful.

I use a Sony head unit 50w x 4, no exernal amplifier and two 6x9's on front doors with more modest speakers in rear back corners.  Sounds pretty darn good to about 35 (out of 50 ,max volume) .

After that there is not enough power to properly power the 6x9's and it distorts.

Need to play with the equalizers to enjoy 35+, especially if the music has a lot of bass.

It can draw the 200 watts it claims it can, but it does not sound crisp at that volume, and those 200 watts are drawn only during the bass thump.  Average consumption even at full volume is not 200 watts, unless it were trying to hold a bass thump the whole time.

I've little fear of my stereo running my only battery dead, and its only 90AH.  I could do it, but my ears cannot handle that amount of volume for that long, and I try to remember that not everyone can feel my music, the fools ;)

I've thought about making 35 to 50 sound better.  But not too hard.

Was that too sternwakian?

nope,you did a nice job of putting it neanderthal for me,thanks

i'm going to design in speaker placement in my build,would like basic fm/am in the cab to experience local flavors with a good sounding system in the house that i can hook up to the tv

not fixed,movable speakers i can put in my giant windows because i'm sure everyone in the valley likes this song
my windows are so big i could move the tv and speakers in them and make for a killer movie night

My rear speakers, well they are from a boom box I bought in '91 or so. I made some baltic birch housings for the speakers, just big enough to house the 2 speakers, about a 3.5 and a 1.5 inch.. Thes speakers are on about 30 feet of cable and moveable so i can bring them over to the campfire and no have to blast out neighbors.

When i feel that need, I back up in the general direction of the campfire and open the front doors and Aim rear speakers backwards out the back doors, or relocate them wherever it sounds best inthat campsite. I have a very long 3.5mm stereo miniplug that I can plug into my TV or Phone or laptop and when I notice my music is not tickling other's skull interiors, I tell them to hook up their phone and DJ if they want.

My system could have more bass, but would likely consume 3x as much power for that. For a max of about 9 amps, I am happy enough with my stereo's fidelity and volume.

Sternwake! You blast out your neighbors at campsites? [emoji16]. You ain't right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save your money and get the new Apple Homepod when it comes out ; ).

Cammalu said:
Sternwake!  You blast out your neighbors at campsites?   [emoji16]. You ain't right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only when the neighbors are in my campsite, or ask me to turn it up.

But I certanly ain't right.

Just a note here: 6x9 speakers are made for the rear deck of a car with the trunk behind. All that trunk space behind a 6x9 is called an "infinite baffle" in audio terms---basically there is no speaker box/enclosure just free air. If you put 6x9s in a door, they won't have an infinite baffle and will be problematic. In doors you're better off with 6" circular speakers that are designed for use in a box (or door, in auto installs).

Putts said:
Just a note here: 6x9 speakers are made for the rear deck of a car with the trunk behind. 
<-------->
In doors you're better off with 6" circular speakers that are designed for use in a box (or door, in auto installs).

I quit using 6x9's years ago. Being around sound technicians for a lot of my life has rubbed off on me I guess. :p
I understand some of the newer 6x9's are pretty sweet too?

I'm sorry, but the best laugh I have truly had lately was when I realized what Gary meant when he typed "sternwakian". I'm a bit slow and didn't get it until Sternwake replied. Thanks for the laugh.

Ballenxj said:
I quit using 6x9's years ago. Being around sound technicians for a lot of my life has rubbed off on me I guess. :p
I understand some of the newer 6x9's are pretty sweet too?

6x9s can be good...with an infinite baffle. I've got some JBL 6x9 three driver units in my Farkle Hut, they work dandy. I did create an infinite baffle/aperiodic vent system for them.  They still suck in the bass; for real lows you need a sub for sure.