a rockin stereo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a subwoofer would be great but they need their own amp and with limited juice 8-10 round will be about as far as i go

was on craigslist and saw a few home surround systems and was wondering if a car stereo could push them,small space to volume is easy but would like to bask in the glory of this from time to time

[video=youtube]

which means everything need to be working in unison

oh,yea,unlike the other thread i am interested in those "meaningless facts" they are kinda important

Gary68 said:
oh,yea,unlike the other thread i am interested in those "meaningless facts" they are kinda important

:D

Sometimes they are.

Hey, speaking of this, I love my Hi-Fi tube amplifiers, of course they are terribly inefficient when it comes to power use, but man, do they sound SWEET.

There is a lot of disagreement on this, but the rough rule of thumb is that it takes 4 times as much solid-state wattage to sound half as good as tubes. Remember, all the music we normally listen to, and ESPECIALLY the classic rock, was all recorded using tube amps and even some tube-powered recording equipment.

So it naturally sounds so much better when played back thru tubes, assuming also that you have a good source, and exceptional speakers.

There are even some mobile tube amps....but for solar power they will gobble up the wattage. On shorepower or at home, they just cant be beat.

Your favorite tunage played thru a modest little tube amp of 35 watts/channel will make you positively giddy.

:cool:

6x9 might be designed with a trunk underneath them, but when the speakers are dangling from the door while powered up playing something, the second they get placed within the door panel the depth and richness of the sound increases many fold.

While I would not choose this route again, both of my White painted doors, are covered with peal and seal, the butyl roof flashing material, on the exterior metal skin and much of the interior skin.  I would not do this if I lived in the south with a black painted van, but instead pay significantly more for a product designed for sound dampening

The doors sound much better and quieter when slammed home, and it also improved the sound quality of the speakers.

My 6x9's screw into a wood enclosure just bigger than the 6x9, partly as the hole for the 6x9 was larger than the 6x9 screw hole pattern, secondly I wanted to raise the speaker a bit so it was not pointed directly at the step, but above it.  I was considering making a wood surrounding ring which would both raise and Aim the speaker cone upward, but honestly, it sounds good enough, better than most stereo systems I hear in other vehicles, unless they have been set up with an Audiophile with some bucks.

My ears are kind of screwed up from surfing so much cold water for the last 30+ years anyway.  I thnk in some ways this constriction of my ear canals requires a bit more fidelity to not get garbled.  Likwe in a noisy room I cant hear  everybodys conversation but the words from the person talking to me.  I can also seemingly echo locate noise sources better with my eyes closed, kind of like how a smaller aperature on a camera has a better depth of field, focusing on things both far and near, where a wide aperature has a very narrow band of distance  from lens that is in focus .

I am absolutely stunned by how well this  single speaker, that  my neighbor owns, sounds with my phone plugged into it.

It blows away my van's stereo, and that is usually where I go to feel my music, where those little fingers of music penetrate and tickle the inside of my skull and make everything allright:

https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts212

I was so doubtful a single speaker could fill a space with sound a well a it does.

I've not tried it on my 400 watt PW inverter at milder volumes to see how many amps it actually consumes at 12vDC, and will not try it on my 800 watt MW inverter as I cant afford to replace it.

4 ohms or 8 ohms ?
And as HDR ^ does the sub need 120volts ?

the subwoofers are 110,not going to use one

a quick look and they come in 4,6,8 ohm,they are usually small 4" speakers with a tweeter and i have seen some rated at 100-150 watts

havent bought anything just trying to get an idea of what to look for
this is a small area so dont need much volume,but would like clear sound and stereo

Most car stereo units are rated for 4 ohm speakers.
8 ohm speakers would cut the amp output in half and the volume would follow.

i'm going to give them a try,i see sets under $100 for brand name stuff and they are small which is a big plus over car speakers

Gary,

I lived this world, in the early days of Richard Clark and David Navone. Placed third in the world at the World Finals IASCA in my class. I built and designed it all myself. Then I did it for a while as a job and it became work and, other than designing and building, the chief sound engineers for Little Mountain Sound car it got boring. Back in those days you needed to modify professional Rane 32 band Eq's to run on 12 volts and you needed two as they were mono. A Mellisa sound analyzer was required to get it close and then a good pair of ears. Now, a good head unit will do all of that for you out of the box. In car audio tossing money can be too easy and get stupid quickly. But there is no replacement for displacement. You need to move air. But it all depends on the venue. What is it going in?

6x9's are great in lower van doors, just cut low frequency off at 90hz or 110hz. Sub bass amps that just add to the music and not shake mirrors are amp sippers. Class D amps are very efficient and an 8 inch in a small box tuned for a resonance bump the square box van is going to provide 50 watts would do ya. Like the old saying you can go as fast as you can afford.

But PM me with what you are doing and I will give you some suggestions. Some that will cost nothing. Sternwakes angling of the foot well drivers are a good example.

It doesn't have to get crazy but it can be fun when it does. A Honda civic with the rear cavity removed 200sqft of Dynamat. A speaker enclosure where the back seats and everything else was 6 15 inch 2 OHM AVI drivers visible, behind them 6 more in a loaded isobaric push pull bandpass design. Driven by 5000 watts of 1 ohm stable amplifiers in the rear. Macintosh for the four front drivers. It was ok musical for metal. But it was designed for DB drag racing. Hit 156db all day long.

They've gone past that now. In vans mostly. But sitting in the car with hearing protection it would blur your vision and make you feel like you had to pee. Not that ain't even close to right. But it did answer the how loud can you make a honda civic! LOL!

Scott (,,,,,,,and Gary)
(156dB all day long..) :rolleyes:
You realize you're describing permanent hearing damage right? (And very soon at that volume!)
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I used to get guys come to me at shows and ask if I would bring a spectrum analyzer and pink their car set ups.
This is what I'd tell them after setting their eq. (and crossover if they had one)

"A spectrum analyzer doesn't lose it's hearing which you may (probably) have already !
As you lose your hearing and experience threshold shift you will need to change the eq to compensate . So , this was basically a waste of time.
It's probably already wrong for you.
Just set it the way you like it!! " :cool:

I still have a Rane ME15 EQ and an AC23 stereo 3way 24db crossover and a bunch of other boxes that I used for pro sound. Pretty old school stuff.

FFT and parametrics changed all that and now they're old school too!

PS
If you know anyone that needs a hearing aid , let me know .
(I figure I should try to give back a little after taking away for so many years.........) ;)

LOL!

Yeah, we wore plugs and muffs for DB cars!! The studio Engineer nows owns a very popular Vancouver recording studio and he still drives his old school BMW as it "Sounds better than his board." I don't think you can get diamond dust wave guides anymore.

I could probably make a living off referrals from him alone. But now it is about the bling and not the sing. Totally Correct and Excelon head unit does it all. Now it would sound horrible to anyone but me my ears are ruined. But not from loud music. Never sat in the civic without hearing protection. We torched out the back made holes and a fiberglass faux bumper to get enough volume for those big boys and Iso subs use the least amount of volume. I think we were still under but it didn't make music it made sound. We drove it on the street to shows but it wasn't legal. Gas tank was a drag fuel cell as we needed space. An exercise in stupidity for marketing and it worked Illusions was very popular.

Loudest concert. RATT Vancouver 1986 I think. DOA and Dead Kenedys at the plaza was painful, but small venue and Jello had just started making bank. Saw the Scorpions here last month outside and they still put on a hell of a show. But they love Russia.

just one of i dont know how many things running in my brain right now including "is there a skunk tucked away in my shop"

when the time comes i'll get a hold of you guys and see if we can put together a cheap energy efficient but good enough van/rv/small space 12v sound system,get those numbers to match

Gary
It seems you want to do it for little money ?
Easy answer.
An MP3 player (phone ?) 8-16 GB of music should be good but 2-4 would do for any road trip........ and a great set of ear buds. (I like the JBLs)

It won't rattle your intestines but will still kill your ears if you so choose.........
PLUS you can keep listening when you get OUT of the rig.

And Scott , I used to have subs that could knock people over......but I needed a BIG truck to haul the system around ,Fave Amp Racks=all QSC , Stacks EAW loaded with JBL. 900 watts just for 2 of the tweeters !
OH , and most bands totally freaked when I used any hearing protection...
"How can you HEAR with those??????"
Good Grief !! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh
Now I hear ringing at several points above 6K as well as threshold shift .
(It's not ringing in the ears but more accurately in the brain ! and for the rest of my life.)

rvpopeye said:
Gary
It seems you want to do it for little money ?
Easy answer.
An MP3 player (phone ?) 8-16 GB of music should be good but 2-4 would do for any road trip........ and a great set of ear buds. (I like the JBLs

ewww,earbuds,ewww,when they make proper headsets?ewww

did see that JBL makes these little speakers too,little space saving good enough sound speakers?,the ones i have for my laptop make it go from laptop to better than my portable radio with 6" speaker

house system-parked quiet,so dont need much volume when the speakers are a max of 4 feet from your head

HPs?
JBL or Sennheiser

Didn't think you would want ear buds but that IS what I do.
(they sound as good as anything I've ever used)
Of course , I only need them for NEW music.
MOST buds SUCK !
I'd use IEMs but can't afford them anymore......

Popeye, Oh yeah totally different game filling stadiums to blowing out window seals. I have total respect for the engineers that can do that right. Saw AC/DC Back to back (BlackIce tour) just before I left Canada, in Vancouver. First show in the stadium and the next in BC Place (whatever it is called now). Stadium the sound was great. BC place SUCKED donkey balls. I even moved to see if it was my location. Would take me 10 seconds to figure out the song they were playing; Bad. Saw Floyd in BC place, Sans Barrett and Waters, and the sound was incredible. I know the venue is hard but you wouldn't be called a professional if it was easy. LO!

I love headphones and earbuds. Pair of Sony Noise cancellation units I wear over a pair of ultimate ear earbuds. Great for 13 hour flights with crying babies. For editing, like I am doing now, I use Sony MDR1's have to have over ear isolation for accurate video sound. But I totally agree for solo sipping and smoking a stogie in ear, over ear, or on ear, headphones are the best bang for the buck. Doesn't bother others as well. You'd have to spend at least a grand to replicate the sound in a car/van environment that a hundred buck set of in/on phones would do. Spend a little more on the earphones and the price to replicate goes up exponentially. A buddy has a bluetooth set up in his apartment, he is a producer here. It even has a unit called a shaker. Screws into your couch. The headphones do a reasonable job of creating surround sound and the shaker unit buzzes the couch so you feel the explosions. It doesn't bother his neighbors anymore and he is again popular with up and down dwellers.

Driving with them on , over or in both ears in BC is an offense. Don't know about other provinces or states.

Gary
I see no reason why what you're proposing wouldn't work for you !
just remember 4 ohms.

Scott
Yes , I don't go to many concerts anymore because of if it's poor sound , the hard part is I can hear what needs to be done to fix it but.......well , I know the drill , if I was up on the sound riser and in charge when someone tries to tell me to fix something , I'd just ignore it,,,,possibly security would be called .

I never did get laws prohibiting ear buds/ HPs but allowing mega dB sound systems.....
The sound system is blocking out all external sounds as much or more ???

OH BTW , I still have some of my Rane gear , plus Lexicon , Delta lab , DBX and a bunch of lesser brands I picked up used after the club fire took most of my good stuff.....