A little investment fun

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother just signed up for Robinhood and also got ZYNGA stock.

I wonder if they are doing that to try and boost the stock value by giving everyone who signs up free stock.

I've lost nearly $40,000 from my 401K in the last 2 weeks (depositing 20% for years), but I keep having to remind myself that the Fidelity fund I am in is STILL doing far better than most, and should return in a year or two. Trying to time the market will lose you lots of money.

Look on the bright side, when its down, you're getting more units or shares. Then when the market goes back up, WOW!

So how's the Bitcoin thingie doing lately? :)

Sorry folks, I consider "investing" to be nothing more than legalized gambling. You're not much worse off just going to Vegas and putting your money on red or black.

lenny flank said:
So how's the Bitcoin thingie doing lately?  :)

Sorry folks, I consider "investing" to be nothing more than legalized gambling. You're not much worse off just going to Vegas and putting your money on red or black.

Facts don't really back you up though.   Even the best odds in Vegas (except counting cards in blackjack) are about 1% to the house.   The stock market historically goes up a few % on average every year, beating inflation.   Long term you win in the stock market and lose in Vegas.

Historically have the fees and taxes taken most of the increases? Seem to be a lot of people not able to judge what and when to buy and sell. As someone noted it isn't really profit till you can spend it. I've got the spend it part, it's the profit part that eludes me but in all honesty I'm exactly $.05 ahead in my lifetime gambling income before taxes! LOL!!!

I just put money in an IRA and kept adding money over the years. It has worked for me as a long term option. I would totally be lost trying to buy/sell individual stocks.

The correction back in 2009 took nearly 5 years to break even. Now if you added monthly to your 401K or IRA and never watched the market, you'd be standing pretty good. The S&P500 bottomed 3/2/2009 to 57.56. The most recent high 10/3/2018 were 290.03. That's over 400%...?

Attachments

• Correction.png
    Correction.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 13
I am in an aggressive Fidelity fund through my workplace 401K. I have averaged 10%+ annually for the last 5 years, and am really impressed how it has grown while others have idled. It was at 18% growth for the year in September, and has fallen in the last 4 months.

It is the T-Rowe Price Large Cap Growth 1 R4 Fund, and it is currently the ONLY offering that is still in the positive % for the year 1.51%, while many of the remaining funds are in the -10%-20% range for the year.

I do believe that even in down times, I am buying more shares for less money, so no worries until retirement is eminent.

The reason I am sharing this info, is for more of you to get into this fund, and help it raise even further from high demand.

ckelly, do you have the ticker symbol on that fund?

(TRLGX) is the ticker symbol....good luck. It seems to drop in December, then come back strong until about October/November. Now would be an ideal time to enter.

I have been trading on these wild swings (not so much in Robinhood, as I am stuck holding those 95 shares of Celgene until they go positive...I refuse to take a loss on them at this level).

You can make a buck or three when the market goes from being down 500 points to up 300 points in a matter of hours.

IGBT said:
I have been trading on these wild swings (not so much in Robinhood, as I am stuck holding those 95 shares of Celgene until they go positive...I refuse to take a loss on them at this level).

You can make a buck or three when the market goes from being down 500 points to up 300 points in a matter of hours.

I royally screwed the pooch on the above trade.   I wanted to end the year all cash and sold my 95 shares of Celgene for about a total of $200 loss on Dec 31, 2018.

Then a couple days later Celgene gets bought out for around $85.   Talk about bad timing!   It was taxes that did me in on that.   I had done so many trades that I felt it would be easier to figure out wash sales if I were all cash and didn't trade for a month in the new year on any symbols I had been trading before.

The market is pretty volatile right now, it's hard to predict anything with the wild price swings from interest rate raises, a combative political scene, and import tarriffs, good luck with any strategy !

I wonder if steel is up since it is a wall option? LOL!!!

I accidentally made $400 more on my account.  I was riding a snowmobile up in the mountains and suddenly had cell reception after days of nothing.   I placed a limit buy order but didn't think it went through.   I get back to civilization and find out it did and the shares are up $400 since the trade!  Nice.

Currently sitting at around $6900.   Account was started middle of 2018 with $2500.   So far it has been a easy, fun experiment although I have not tried to download all of the trades into my tax software yet!   :rolleyes:

I don't have a great gameplan yet for 2019...probably will play around with biotech some more.  It is one of the cheaper sectors out there right now.

rh127.jpg

Attachments

• rh127.jpg
    rh127.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 10
Hit a milestone today in the Robinhood account.

I started the account with only one deposit of $2500 last June (June 2018) and today it hit $7558, or a 202% gain, a triple, in less than one year.  Not too bad?

This last $300 gain was made over a period of just a couple days by buying Gilead pre-earnings and selling it post earnings.  Normally that is a bad trade but Gilead was down so much they didn't have to do much to pop the price.

rh56.jpg

Attachments

• rh56.jpg
    rh56.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 7
You win!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts