A little investment fun

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only a little over 9 years to go to meet your goal! Good Luck!

Being that I'm retired, I got hooked on dividend stocks. Don't have to do much with these stocks, only keep an eye on earning reports. Best time to buy is during a correction or not so good earning report, because you'll have higher dividend stocks. I bot MFA at 7.21 with .20 per quarter, comes to 11.09% annually. SPH at 22.44 with a partnership distribution of .60 per quarter, comes to 10.70% annually. I also got 5.9 % on at&t. 
I went thru one correction with couple of dividend stocks and what's so neat is when price change, dividends don't. To be honest at&t increased from .50 to .51 during the correction.

SPH, MFA and T are ticker symbols for the stocks. Good luck...………………..

ckelly78z said:
My 401K is currently up 21.18% YTD.....hope it keeps this trend up.

I do too. I'm up 20.2 % or so and I just reallocated my wife's 401k to take advantage of this trend.

I tried the stock market years ago. I didn't buy anything real risky, mostly utilities like Global Crossing, Enron, that sort of thing. If you have not heard of these, they bought at around $30, and when their scam was over they valued at $.05. It made me realize that many stocks are pump and dump. All the experts tout them as being wonderful buys, but they know when to dump them.
In the long run I don't think us little money people have a chance competing against all the insider trading that can't be proven. I did buy other stocks that did not lose money, but they didn't make money either. My investments were just an interest free loan that I gave them.

AnonymousDog said:
I do too. I'm up 20.2 % or so and I just reallocated my wife's 401k to take advantage of this trend.

I just checked my Principal 401K account a few minutes ago, and was thrilled to see it at 23.65% YTD  This is T-Rowe Price Large cap growth R4 fund....I don't mind sharing this info, because the higher the demand, the higher the price !

My wife's 401K is up some 17.2% YTD...maybe I have her in the wrong stuff lol.   I have her in 55% Vanguard RUS 1000 value and 45% in Vanguard IS S&P500 IDX

Aside from the Robinhood, I am only up about 11% YTD in taxable...I keep it mostly in cash waiting for the drop that never seems to happen.  The only reason it is up at all is I took advantage of the smaller dips to buy a little and then sell it quickly.   So this year index is beating me.

Today is the one year anniversary!  I started this challenge June 25, 2018 by depositing $2500 in Robinhood with the goal of making at least a 60% return each year which would cause my total return to be more than $250,000 in just ten years.   (easy right?)

Well, today I crossed $9,000!   The total one year return is 260%.   Not a bad start to my challenge.

RH1yr.jpg

Attachments

• RH1yr.jpg
    RH1yr.jpg
    105.6 KB
Update.  With a few ups and downs I weathered the recent market instability and actually added a bit more profit.

Closing in on $10,000.  Hard to believe I started this with only $2,500.   I can't wait till I hit a quarter million off of a $2500 investment.   What was a 100x goal now I only need about 25x.

rh816.jpg

Attachments

• rh816.jpg
    rh816.jpg
    36.7 KB
Impressive... you really seem to know what you're doing... I might want to start out with a few hundred and follow your trades if you don't mind (and add more capital over time). What is the best site for trading with a smaller start capital?

You can start very small on Robinhood, and the free trades means you can buy (and sell) single shares of stock with no fees.  It is pretty awesome.

Thanks... I just opened a new account with Robinhood and transfered an initial 100... soon more hopefully... I have to wait for the account to be reviewed and the money takes 3 days... then I'll be ready! ;)

IGBT said:
Update.  With a few ups and downs I weathered the recent market instability and actually added a bit more profit.

Closing in on $10,000.  Hard to believe I started this with only $2,500.   I can't wait till I hit a quarter million off of a $2500 investment.   What was a 100x goal now I only need about 25x.

What exactly is your strategy?  I lost some money lately when the market crapped itself. The trade war is really hurting my investments.

I'll reaffirm that Robinhood is the best way to invest with small capital. If you have more money a "real" broker my be better. I talked TD Ameritrade down to $5 commission for trades.

Buy low, sell higher, don't panic, don't get greedy.  

Know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

Buy lady luck a nice dinner.

But seriously, I usually just watch a batch of a few stocks that I like the long term prospects on and I buy them when the market dips and sell them when the market recovers.  It will work until we get a really big crash and no recovery.

Alas, if it were easy to make money by gambling on the stock market, everybody would already be doing it.

But with the "ups" inevitably come the "downs".

Two things I have learned the hard way:

NEVER chase a penny stock as it drops

NEVER invest in a mining company

I found out early mining companies owners make money by going bankrupt!

Yeah I don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to invest in someone who digs a hole in the ground and dumps your money in it.

I imagine the best deal in mining I ever saw was HDR's prospecting classes which were not only free but he gave you some dirt! LOL!!!