A informal summer gathering in Flagstaff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that Roger but will look for you at the RTR.

Three more showed up here and some are moving up here from band camp. I will likely have to move some once my 14 days is up. I hear there is a meadow down the road with a pond that the elk visit daily.

jimindenver said:
Sorry to hear that Roger but will look for you at the RTR.

Three more showed up here and some are moving up here from band camp. I will likely have to move some once my 14 days is up. I hear there is a meadow down the road with a pond that the elk visit daily.
Hey Jimindenver,

My rig is the blue Rpod you have to pass as you drive up A1.I've been looking for RTR ppl but so far no one wants to admit knowing Bob.  Many of the ppl at A1 have been there way over 30 days. I haven't seen a Ranger at at and this is my second visit back to A1.

Stop by and say hello, would enjoy meeting you!

Could you give better directions to this meadow and a pond?

Hmmm

I haven't been back on A1 since I came in a week ago. I will need to go to town in the next few days and will stop by. I haven't been to the pond myself but I understand that you will see it if you just continue down 518 past the turn on 9011 to where we are. 518 is left turn immediately after you cross the cattle guard coming off of the expressway. Most those coming here ask if I am Jim or recognize Max the wonder puppy. He gets more play than I do. lol

I'm kind of stuck here until 6/15 ... then drive up to Mt Bierstadt to spread Taz's ashes, then head for Flagstaff.  
I hope some of you folks will still be there.  

Pat

I just looked at the freecampsites.net website, and found a "Forest Road 420", sounds like where I need to be!  :)
Don't DO that anymore, but sounds like my kind of place!

jimindenver said:
I hear there is a meadow down the road with a pond that the elk visit daily.

That alone would be worth the trip! Sounds beautiful. I planned to come in my minivan but just found a house, an old adobe with turquoise trim, full of quirks, but with a walled, terraced back yard where I can practice wilderness skills, flint knapping, hide tanning, basket making, whatever....And room for the hundreds of pounds of rocks, minerals, coral, petrified wood I've collected over the years.

Moving in by end of month with HUGE pile of outdoor gear, etc. Looked forward to meeting all of you under the pines. At my age and with certain health issues, it's important to have a home base. My new place is owned by a family that rents based on compassion, rather than greed.

My supplies for part time van life continue to arrive daily, Gas One Dual Fuel Stove and Double Dooty Bags arrive today :cool: . Winter is NOT MY THING, so RTR 2018 is the plan. Then on to Winter Count in mid Feb, a gathering in Maricopa, NE of Q. Some of you might want to join me for a week of learning edible and medicinal plants and dozens of old time skills. Bob turned me on to this event and it's right up my alley.

Kathleen said:
Then on to Winter Count in mid Feb, a gathering in Maricopa, NE of Q. Some of you might want to join me for a week of learning edible and medicinal plants and dozens of old time skills. Bob turned me on to this event and it's right up my alley.

I checked out their website... this sounds really interesting!

Kathleen said:
My supplies for part time van life continue to arrive daily, Gas One Dual Fuel Stove and Double Dooty Bags arrive today :cool: . Winter is NOT MY THING, so RTR 2018 is the plan. Then on to Winter Count in mid Feb, a gathering in Maricopa, NE of Q. Some of you might want to join me for a week of learning edible and medicinal plants and dozens of old time skills. Bob turned me on to this event and it's right up my alley.

Kathleen - Where can I get information about RTR 2018 - and the other get togethers that you posted?
I would like to attend :)

PattySprinter said:
Kathleen - Where can I get information about RTR 2018 - and the other get togethers that you posted?

The Rubber Tramp Rendezvous is always held in January, in AZ near the CA  border off of I10.

Our fearless leader, Bob, will begin posting info on it here in December.  Really nothing to do until the info gets posted then.

for the RTR go to the top of this page and click on gatherings. right now the info is for last years RTR it will give you an idea of what to expect. as January gets closer Bob will post the info for 2018. highdesertranger

There are 10 of us here now and more in a meadow down the road. When the sun does shine the solar and solar ovens are just humming along. :)

IMG_20170603_124927.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_124927.jpg
    IMG_20170603_124927.jpg
    128.9 KB
pnolans said:
I checked out their website... this sounds really interesting!

Yes, they let people camp in their vans. Hope we can get a group to go there annually. Different teachers every year. www.wintercount.com.

2 organic meals per day incl in cost. If you ask to be on their email list they send you the info on when you get the early bird discount.

So my current plans are: move, continue with van development, get settled, and be at 2018 RTR, hang out with new friends for a few weeks then head to Maricopa, AZ for Wintercount mid-Feb. Would love to go with new amigas/amigos! :)

PattySprinter said:
Top of the forum look at Gatherings, will list RubberTrampRendezvous (RTR) 2018 dates and info. Started by Bob Wells, owner CheapRVLiving.

www.wintercount.com is in Maricopa, AZ to the NW of Quartzsite. Weeklong event in mid Feb. Van camping allowed. Bob told me about it, he's interested in mountain men and wilderness skills.

Kathleen

jimindenver said:
There are 10 of us here now and more in a meadow down the road. When the sun does shine the solar and solar ovens are just humming along. :)

Please post more pictures [emoji254].

Here is some pictures of the Gathering site. Same location as last summer rtr. We definitely didn't need a permit.
ed931e78c29f976e187ecb7166e91d37.jpg
3e1bc5ce212730e20caf3d812c4f608a.jpg
5020a315f8d84c4117cd972c1426b2d5.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tomcor said:
Here is some pictures of the Gathering site. Same location as last summer rtr. We definitely didn't need a permit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wow! Thanks for the photos, Tomcor. Sure is a pretty spot. Even though I couldn't join you I'm glad to see the site.

i won't be on the road in time i bet, but i'm planning on going through flagstaff!

Thanks Tom and I am glad you made it up here. It has been a nice quiet run so far. People coming and going the whole time. Tonight Bob made us all strawberry shortcake.

IMG_20170604_190120.jpg

IMG_20170604_185917.jpg

IMG_20170604_185954.jpg

IMG_20170604_185933.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170604_190120.jpg
    IMG_20170604_190120.jpg
    107.9 KB
  • IMG_20170604_185917.jpg
    IMG_20170604_185917.jpg
    97.1 KB
  • IMG_20170604_185954.jpg
    IMG_20170604_185954.jpg
    100.2 KB
  • IMG_20170604_185933.jpg
    IMG_20170604_185933.jpg
    112.1 KB
If there's any shortcake left over , can someone fedex a piece to me? ;)

It looks like the gathering is going very well . :cool: