A informal summer gathering in Flagstaff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pnolans said:
You're a handsome devil, you butthead!   :p

You haven't seen that you tube with me in it have you. lol

vtwinkicker said:
The summer RTR 2016 had about 100 people +/-

Yikes! We will have to be really spread out.
shadowmoss said:
Not everyone can be as good looking  as Bob.

This is true and I have learned to live with it. Then again there is Max the wonder puppy who seems to be quite the chick magnet. (like that does me a lot of good)

The biggest thing is I don't want people to be disappointed when they show up and find out it isn't a RTR. I'm not planning any seminars, classes, daily gatherings, main fire pit, etc. I don't even want there to be a main area that would draw attention. It's not like I'm anti social but I do like my breathing room.

and not getting ticketed for too big a gathering with no permit

jimindenver said:
You haven't seen that you tube with me in it have you. lol
No, I haven't !  Has it been published yet?  I keep looking for it.

Why not have a separate post for sign ups and just count how many are going to attend? I doubt it will get over 75 from just this forum.

Itripper said:
Why not have a separate post for sign ups and just count how many are going to attend? I doubt it will get over 75 from just this forum.

I'm not sure, but I believe it then becomes an informal gathering.  I think most of us want to stay under the radar. 

I MIGHT be wrong , though, and that would be a great idea! 

"you may be right, I may be crazy, I just might be the lunatic you're looking for"

pnolans said:
I'm not sure, but I believe it then becomes an informal gathering.  I think most of us want to stay under the radar. 

I MIGHT be wrong , though, and that would be a great idea! 

"you may be right, I may be crazy, I just might be the lunatic you're looking for"

Forest Rangers know the area well, it will be obvious to them if a van gathering happens there, if they believe there are too many there they will kick us out. For the most part the people who attend the RTR do stand out as different from typical RV's and if 40+ white vans show up in a 1 mile radius they will notice. JUst my thoughts.  Did Bob ever get a permit for the area?

Gauging by the response to the tread I am not expecting a lot. Then again there were still people responding to the RTR thread after Bob cancelled it and I have met one person on the road that was working his way there not knowing it had been cancelled. It was still his plan to be there with or without the RTR. Even without me there may be a number showing up.

I have been corresponding with the person who issues the permits. I let her know we are mostly in rvs and vans with our own toilets so she didnt bring up us needing to have toilets. She e-mailed me the permit application and suggested that I have everyone rsvp to see if close to 75 people or more. She suggested that I obtain the permit to be on the safe side just in case 75 or more people show up. Jimindenver and everyone else reading this - should I obtain the permit? same area as the summer RTR was last year? First two weeks of June? I don't mind signing for the permit. I realize a lot of people read the forum entries but do not post. Please post if you would like to attend or please send me a private message. Thank you, Lora

Lora

I am trying to do everything to say this isn't a event. Even if 10 people showed up, I don't want them to camp all around me like they did in the RTR. This isn't the replacement for the RTR or the RTR lite. It's me saying I am not changing my plans and still plan on camping in the area, if there are others great. It will be a chance to meet like minded people close by, maybe not to close if too many show up. Sign up sheets, permits and people packed in on each other isn't what I was thinking.

Jim,
If I get a permit it doesn't mean that it will automatically be a huge event like the RTR or a substitute RTR. It is just a permit. They have people obtain a permit if just a family gathering of 75 or more people. A group of like minded people gathering like us would be similar. There would be no sign up sheets. Obtaining a permit just means that if 75 or more show up to the 'informal gathering' you posted the forest rangers can't ask us to leave. I won't apply for the permit though since you don't want me too. The forest is huge. We can disperse to different parts of it if needed.

Howdy all! Did we settle on a solid date? My family and I would love to attend. We live in a Lance travel trailer.
Thx!
shinepuppy

I will be there sometime the first week of June and plan on staying a few weeks.

It probably would be good if everybody didn't show up at the same time ?? (some a day or two early and a day or two late..)

when the ranger ask who is in charge 150 people are going to point to Jim :D

if this is the informal gathering,whats the formal? must of showered within the week and have underwear on?

Wait !
Is this a You Ain't Right gathering???

What anyone considering doing this needs to understand is that one of the main points of the Permit is to find the person who gets blamed for anything that goes wrong. When you sign the Permit, you become responsible. If something needs to be corrected or punished, that person is it. Last summer they wrote tickets to one person, that person was me because I was in charge.

The reason the Rainbow Gatherings work, is there genuinly is no one person in charge so no one gets a ticket or goes to jail for the illegal gatherings.