A dark and stormy night......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeRevell

Reaction score
And a very rough time in the Deep South. We had heavy rain storms, and tornadoes. A few deaths in southern Georgia, and South Carolina. It came in angry bands of ugly yellow and red blobs, on the weather radar map.
I'd hate to have been in a van during this storm. Makes me appreciate having the S&B.

That is actually something I have been worried about. My main plan was to simply avoid tornado alley in the spring but other than that, I am not sure. I am planning on staying most of the year in Michigan and have many a basement into which I can retreat if the need arises but what do you do when you are far away from people? Just take your chances? Stay in a hotel?

We were right in the middle of it yesterday.  We parked at a Walmart to resupply, came outside to 50mph winds and lightning every 4 seconds hitting the ground.   Ran over to the Taco Bell and ate while waiting it out.  This was southern Louisiana.  Tornado watch too...which made me think of the news headline "Taco Bell destroyed by tornado while leaving RV in walmart parking lot untouched"

Several years ago when we were camping at Grand Haven State Park (MI) right on the beach on Lake Michigan a horrific storm blew in. I had been listening to NOAA radio and knew it was coming our way. I decided to re-locate for the night. We went to the Walmart in town and parked right next to the building on the lee side, protected from the storm and very high winds.

The next morning we returned to our campsite; two huge Class A motorhomes had been blown over onto their side.

Always be aware of your surroundings!

slynne said:
That is actually something I have been worried about.

You pay attention to the weather. Im not sure but I dont think any member of this forum has met with catastrophe due to weather. That's over 4000 of us scattered all over the place. Add to that I don't know how many fb users in different groups.

Sure it happens. Shit happens all the time. Don't waste your time worrying about it. Be proactive.

If you have wheels, you could leave. If you get warning of a tornado, drive away, perpendicular to it's path.

Personally, a tornado would probably scare me to death.

But, I guess it's what you're used to. We had a large 6.7 earthquake in SoCal (Sylmar Quake) in 1971. In 1972, I was camping in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in CO. The couple in the next campsite came over to say hello after looking at my vehicle plates. The woman asked me if I felt that earthquake, and I said yes (I was out of bed and standing in the door way before I woke up). She said being in an earthquake would scare her to death, so they would never go to Calif. I asked where they were from.

They were from KANSAS, the center of Tornado Alley.

And the odd thing was, when I drove across country a few years later, I took I-70 clear across KS. I saw lots and lots of mobile homes. But I didn't see anything that might indicate an underground shelter, no mound of dirt that might have been dug out. There was just mile after mile of flat ground and rickety mobile homes.

I have no idea if she's in this group (or any specific fb group); but one of the Youtube vloggers I regularly watch had her travel trailer totaled last year from a hail storm so weather catastrophes definitely happen and can adversely affect anyone fulltiming or planning to fulltime.

one thing I learned from an agriculture/outdoor background was to read the weather. it is a very useful tool. look up and pay attention to the clouds, mares tails or cotton balls means rain is on the way. smoke rising strait up from your campfire and dropping temp, bad weather is coming. ring around the sun or moon, bad weather is coming. of course everybody knows the, red sky in morning sailor take warning, red sky at night sailor delight. there are many more, and while they are not always 100% correct I find them to be very reliable. pay attention connect with nature she will tell you. of course don't discount weather radio especially warnings. highdesertranger

speedhighway46 said:
Several years ago when we were camping at Grand Haven State Park (MI) right on the beach on Lake Michigan a horrific storm blew in. I had been listening to NOAA radio and knew it was coming our way. I decided to re-locate for the night. We went to the Walmart in town and parked right next to the building on the lee side, protected from the storm and very high winds.

The next morning we returned to our campsite; two huge Class A motorhomes had been blown over onto their side.

Always be aware of your surroundings!

I rode that storm out in Muskegon.
We were at the Channel campground in Muskegon and faired better than some.
In the morning, we took a ride to the camp near the Blockhouse. Lots of damage. One lady in a pop-up had awoke to get the kids on the other end of the trailer, and a  tree fell right on her now empty bed.
The tree sheared off the whole bed, and drove it onto the ground. She scrambled to the car and drove to town for the night.

Last summer I parked in a bad (seemed great at the time) location and the rain came and was up to my door sills by the time I woke up. I eased out of the giant puddle and headed to higher ground.

Always check the weather before bedtime!

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit Michigan during the 60's. The cold war with Russia was at it's height. In school we would have drills diving under our desks in case of a nuclear attack, (Detroit being heavy industrial would be a prime target). Anyway every Saturday at noon all the fire departments had outside sirens that they would test for the same reason.
Fast forward 30 years. I was visiting the area and staying at a hotel. It had been raining off and on but nothing heavy. The sirens started to wail. It wasn't Saturday or noon so I asked the desk clerk what was the noise about. They said tornado warning. I looked around and nobody seemed to be very concerned. I guess you get used to whatever adversity your area produces.

Hidesertranger-
Don't forget the lenticular clouds for UFO weather.

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
weather catastrophes definitely happen and can adversely affect anyone fulltiming or planning to fulltime.

Of course they can. Just the same as you could get hit by a bolt of lightning or a car (even if you're not full timing or planning to full time)

highdesertranger said:
I always thought the UFO's hid in the lenticular clouds.  lol  highdesertranger

They hide in cherry trees wearing red sneakers, just like the elephants.

Now, WHY would UFOs hide in lenticular clouds? You would think they could hide in any decent cloud. I can hear military helicopters going overhead at least twice a day, and they can hide in the clouds, so you would think that the folks driving UFOs could do the same.

because Lenticular clouds are the same shape as an UFO,

th.jpg

highdesertranger

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 6
Dry right now, low fifties last night. In a couple days it will rain again, then supposed to drop into the high twenties one niight! Typical North Florida winter.