A Call for Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
Kathy of Boondockers United needs assistance in the Flagstaff area this spring and summer.  Kathy is a real "giver" in the nomad community.  I look forward to rallying around her now that she needs our help.  Please read her Facebook post below.  If you are available, email her at [email protected].  Or, join her Facebook Group "Kathy's Cancer Care."  Thank you for your consideration.

This is a call for help. One of the things that I love about being a Boondocker/Nomad is the traveling lifestyle and the friends we meet along the way.

In this lifestyle we flow like a creek and weave in and out of lives the same way. Sometimes we find a nice little smooth inlet and just stay put and sometimes we meander along just enjoying each bend and all the beauty along the way.

I am asking for help from that flow as you find yourself in the Flagstaff area from April through the summer, could you stop in and lend a hand? I am not asking anyone to take roots and stay with me.

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I am en route to just below Flagstaff to start a 14 day stay and my first appointment with the surgeon and oncologist is next Wednesday, the 3rd of April. I will need help post surgery, depending on the invasiveness of that surgery I may need wound care and will need general care. After the surgery I will either begin Chemo or Radiation or both. I will need help driving to and from my appointments and probably some help around camp.

I have a 28' Travel trailer and a truck and I may need help moving those every 14 days. As many of you know my daughter passed away and I adopted my granddaughter last June. She is 13 and she will be a huge help but she can't drive.

Thanks much!

Kathy's email:  [email protected]

I am sorry she has to go through this. Hopefully others can help.

I wish I was not being held back. I won't be able to leave NV until August, sometime, at the earliest.

Is it ok to cross post and share?

I will become a full time RVer soon. I lost everything I had from Breast Cancer. All the people I am reading about here have turned my negative into a possitive. So when I get out there you can count on me. In the meantime I can talk.

I nursed a wife through it. I'm in Yuma and will be heading north in a few weeks. I'll touch bases when I get close. You can handle this, wish I could be there sooner. Feel free to PM me.

Kathy is a super person and a great asset to the boondocking community. :heart:

Suanne I feel just sick about what she’s going through. I’m on my way to Kentucky for the summer but is there anything else we can do remotely?

Did someone volunteer to stay with her?

Cammalu,

You are very kind. I think Kathy would be the one to ask if there's anything that you can do remotely.

For me, I keep up with what's going on with Kathy on her Facebook page, "Kathy's Cancer Care." Or, if I want a more personal connection, I email her at [email protected]. That's what I'd suggest that you do.

Last I heard she has several folks camped with her now, as she does some preliminary tests and some preparatory medical procedures.

In addition to announcing Kathy's call for help here on the forum and on the WRTR FB group, Bob also announced on last Saturday and Sunday's live feeds. When needed, we will put out more calls for assistance.

Thanks so much for asking.

Thanks for the update Suanne. I did join her Facebook group.

I am a cancer survivor and wish I could help.  Still living in my house for a couple of years before hitting the road full time.

I can be there in spirit or by email if she needs someone to talk to during her battle.  Best wishes and a speedy recovery.   You can do this and one day look back on the experience as an extraordinary journey.

God I love this group of people.  They give me faith in humanity again.

Here's Kathy's latest post. If you are near Cottonwood, consider dropping by …

As the middle of May as come and gone, so are my helpers on the way out....

If you find yourself in the Cottonwood area toward the end of May to mid June, could you stop in to see us? Our needs are simple: drinking water (I keep two 5 gal Igloo containers filled), propane and maybe a trip to the store. I really am not stable enough to drive for the first 2 weeks after chemo and my next Chemo is the 29th of May.

I can get a local service to give me a ride to my Chemo treatment in Flagstaff but it would be better if I had someone who wanted to be there instead of one who doesn't. So, if you happen to be in Cottonwood on the 29th, could you let me know? I will need to be in Flagstaff by 8:30am and we won't get done until maybe 5pm. If you are a couple or if there is another person out there who could stay with my granddaughter that day, it would be great as well. We have a nice recreation room here, free wifi, foosball table, couches, stove, refrigerator.... It's a great place to hang out and she loves that area. She normally reads her kindle or watches movies on her DVD.